S7 Edge Multiline

laestrella

I need to help/clarification.

I signed up for Digits a while back and was using an S7 Edge along with a duplicate SIM in a Google Pixel. Everything was great. Then I went and did a JOD to an iPhone and got rid of my Edge. I hated the iPhone so I went back to a brand new Edge. The only thing that changed was my sim card number (rep gave me a new sim when I swapped to the iPhone but I kept my same phone number.

I've been trying to get the multiline settings to show up on my new S7 Edge with no luck. I call the 800 number based on what I read in this forum that my sim card would need to be reprovisioned for digits. The rep that I spoke to agreed and said they would take care of that.

Fast forward to today when I get a call from a rep saying that a recent update to the Samsung phones has disabled multiline until the official launch of Digits. Is this true? Are people losing their multiline capability or is this rep just not sure of what he's talking about? How do I get my built in multiline back????

All replies

• dministrator

Re: S7 Edge Multiline

I have an active support ticket open for the last several days for this very same issue. In my case, it is an S7.

I never received an update for Multi-line support, with or without WiFi, 100s of restarts etc.,

There has been no notice whatsoever.

• debjitjdv

I am not a TMobile representative. But I am curious, which scenario were you evaluating? Since I read that you were using a duplicate SIM card in your Pixel, hence I guess you are using One Number Multiple Device. In that case, the Multi-Line settings wont show up in your S7 or S7 edge because its not needed. Multi-line setting will only show up when you are evaluating the other scenario that is one device multiple numbers because you need to manage multiple numbers (one primary number and atleast one virtual number). Does that make sense to you?

• dministrator

Second poster here.

My scenario is one device two numbers.@debjitjdv

• debjitjdv

Ok. Then you should have the Multi-line settings. I can still see it in my Galaxy S6 SM-G920T. Can you try one thing? Switch off your wifi. Put your device in LTE. Then switch off and switch on. If your primary line is still associated with DIGITS Beta Virtual line, then over LTE the authorization should take place and you should be able to see  the Multi-line settings.

• laestrella

I signed up for both beta paths. I even got a virtual line. This was all working perfectly before the switch to the iPhone and new SIM card.

• debjitjdv

I am not sure if you can sign up for both the BETA simultaneously. If you have signed up for the One Number Multiple device later using the same primary number, then One device Multiple number BETA will be opted out automatically by the system. That's my understanding.

• laestrella

You can most certainly sign up for both. It even says it on the sign up page:

"If you want to sign up for more than one beta test (or if you want to add more than one device or number), you’ll be given the opportunity to do so later on."

I had this working before is what I'm saying. My s7 edge had multi line and my duplicate sim was working. All in harmony. All functional until I swapped sim cards and switched to an iphone. It's not like this never worked.

• laestrella

GOOOOOD NEWSSS!!!

Because I'm persistent I called T-Mobile support again. And made them reactive my old sim and BINGO multiline is back. So don't believe the lies!!!!!!!!!! Your original sim is somehow tied to the Digits registration.

• debjitjdv

So essentially you are saying you can have Mutiple Device and Multiple Numbers ?

• laestrella

Yes. Here is my setup:

I have an S7 Edge (now with multi-line reactivated) that is using my primary phone number and a virtual number that T-Mobile gave to me.

I also have a duplicate sim of my primary number in a Google Pixel XL that is working great.

I'm using the Digits app on my Surface Book, my Galaxy Tab 2 and my iPad Mini 4.

So it's definitely doable and I love it.

• debjitjdv

I see. I thought these two BETA applications are mutually exclusive. I shall give it a try. Yes I am using the Windows app in my Surface 3 as well. Things are really looking great. I will try this complex combo soon. I am expecting my duplicate SIM card of the primary line to arrive tomorrow. I shall also sign up for the One device multiple numbers as well. It will be a stress test of the DIGITS system. Hope it wont break.

• laestrella

Do it! I love having all of these options. T-Mobile really nailed this service. We just have to work the kinks out, so try and test everything.

• debjitjdv

Ok looks like you were correct. Updating my Galaxy S6 to latest Samsung January 1, 2017 patch broke things. Now Multi-Line settings are gone. I am using my primary SIM card yet its not there. Called BETA help line but they are of not much help as well. now need to fix this. tmo_amanda tmo_christmo_evantmo_marissa please have a look into that. Samsung is breaking things with latest patch update.

I checked with my Nexus 6 and DIGITS app. Duplicate line is working fine as expected. Even my Duplicate SIM card in iPhone 6S is working fine. So its definitely a problem with Samsung patch. Samsung sucks sometime.

• laestrella

Not sure why an update would kill multi-line. Did customer service try to help refresh your sim card from their end? And you never changed your sim card to a new sim card, right?

• tmo_amanda

Happy Saturday, debjitjdv!

Thank you for tagging a few of us. Something is definitely off here and the latest Samsung update seems to be the culprit. I need to gather a few details from you and dministrator. I'll send you a PM shortly.

laestrella, I'm so happy to hear that you got everything straightened out!

• debjitjdv

tmo_chris tmo_amanda tmo_evan So I sorted this out. Maybe it will be useful for other people. It's a stop gap measure.

I had an almost 55 minutes chat session with a Samsung Representative using the Samsung+ inbuilt support. There are two problems.

1. Multi-line settings

2. Samsung Cloud support for Galaxy S6 series. Not sure if Cloud works perfectly in Galaxy S7

For 1, after January patch, Multi-line settings may disappear. The only work around even if you are using your primary sim card is to do a factory reset. And Factory Reset is never an enjoyable experience as lack of microSD card in Galaxy S6 will wipe out all internal data including photos etc when doing Factory Reset. So be careful while doing this.

For 2, a sweet solution for Factory Reset is to make a proper backup. Samsung launched Samsung Cloud service which is an excellent service compared to Apple cloud. Its a little different from Apple Cloud as Samsung Cloud mirrors everything from your phone including phone logs, messages, settings, photos, memos, Samsung keyboard etc in Samsung cloud (you can choose what you want to backup and what you do not. It's available under Settings -> Backup and Restore). For photos etc you have 15GB for free compared to 5 GB of Apple. So sweet of Samsung. And for everything else storage backup space is unlimited.. Hoooooray!! Now, there was a critical patch that Samsung released almost 2months ago to fix a cloud related issue. but for some unknown reason TMobile did not push that critical update to Galaxy S6. Samsung rep figured that out and asked me to install the following APK from http://dl.sammobile.com/apk/samsungcloud/com.samsung.android.scloud_2.2.12.apk . I installed it and voila. My Samsung cloud is back in service. I backed up my phone in Samsung cloud and then did a factory reset of the phone. And guess what, Multi-line setting is back in service. And then from Samsung cloud, I restored everything and my phone was like old good phone + multi-line settings.

So the take away from this feedback is, TMobile should push the Samsung Cloud update ASAP and should investigate why Multi-line settings is getting vanished after January 1, 2017 patch.

Hope community managers tmo_amanda tmo_chris will forward this to appropriate tech support team for investigation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                              • tmo_evan

I'll pass this along, though I suspect you ran into a particular known issue that we made a small assumption (oops) that wouldn't come up during the beta.

Basically we use you the phone number in your device to look up info about the specific device rather than asking you (or anyone in their right mind for having to find it and type it in correctly).  When we whitelist you for being able to use Multi-line settings on the Samsung devices, we submit the request in and the systems handle all of the translations.  What we aren't doing is having systems constantly checking for updates for those numbers.

So when you changed both your device and your SIM card number, the backend systems knew nothing of the change and thus multi-line settings were not made available to you. Taking your existing SIM card and moving it between devices will enable the settings while your SIM card is active, but once you remove the SIM, the settings will turn off when it's replaced with a different SIM.  Thus when they restored the previous SIM card the settings were made available again.

Sorry that this was such a hassle (and I apologize that we didn't train our care teams on this particular use case),.  The easy way to get this enabled once again is to go back to the registration page and enter in that you want to use multiple numbers on a single device and selecting this scenario again with the number already on your account OR to just move the physical SIM from one device back to another.

I suspect that the Jan patch is really a red-herring here, but will get them to look at that.  As to the back up having issues, I'll definitely inquire as to what's going on there since obviously we do want our customers to be able to fully backup and restore their devices.

• debjitjdv

May be you are right. Although I did not change my primary SIM card, but my device was swapped with another Galaxy S6 by warranty exchange since January patch rendered my original Galaxy S6 unusable. In my case atleast the device was swapped but not the SIM card. But after Factory resetting it things become available which may be due to the reason thats the system hashed my new device IMEI number as whitelisted fo rmulti-line.

Now, the January patch may be something to look at. It caused abnormal heating, loss of multi-line settings and rendered my device useless for practical purposes. Further the cloud issue should be looked at as I explained in my previous post.

Thanks tmo_evan

• dministrator

Somehow, I received the Multi-line update over the weekend. I'm all set for now.