keeper216

So I broke my phone and it had insurance. I got the new phone. If I send the old phone broken phone back do I get charged any sort of deductibles or any sort of extra charge? I have heard stories of people being charged upwards of $400 for sending back there broken phones. Also the phone works (barely) is there any way what so ever I can keep the old phone? I would like to use it as a small tablet albeit a broken one.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Broken phone return question

You have to return the phone or you will be charged for it.

• tidbits

The only way you will be charged for sending in your phone if it's the wrong phone, or it was never received.

• keeper216

How much will I be charged?

• keeper216

I have a note 4.

• snn_555

When you say broken:  physically, like the screen is broken?  I ask since, if there was a software issue or battery, or mechanical/electrical issue and you were returning it under a warranty claim then that's what they would be expecting to receive (non-physical damage), but if it was physical damage and would have been better filed as an insurance claim, then I could see you being charged a different deductible.

• keeper216

The phone has been dropped many times. I have to have a partial wake lock app going or it shuts itself off every couple of minutes. The only way to turn it back on is taking out the battery and let it sit for awhile.

• snn_555

So, knowing that, if you submitted an insurance claim for damage, then you paid the deductible and then they shipped a replacement device right?  Usually the deductible is due at the time of claim-filing.  If not, under what reason did you have it replaced?  You should not see any other charge other than a deductible if you sent it in under the correct reason.

• keeper216

I went to a t mobile store and they sent in the claim and said all I would have to be is 5 dollars. They said when the new one comes send the old one back in the same box.

• tidbits

$5 is a warranty replacement and not a insurance.  If you don't return the device then there will be I believe for the Note 4 a $300-400 charge(unsure exact amount but expect around there).

• snn_555

Yes, Tidbits is right.  Insurance claims are for broken phones.  Warranty claims ($5 with insurance, $20 without) are for issues from manufacturing defects and non-physical or non-software-manipulation damage.  (Subject to a tier-based deductible.)

It sounds like you are returning the broken phone under a warranty claim.  This will result in a heavy fee when the broken device is received by T-Mobile/Assurant and the condition does not match that of a warranty claim. 

Also, there is usually some sort of paperwork/electronic agreement where the phone is declared undamaged or states its condition and reason for exchange/return before T-Mobile accepts it for return.  Typically employees check for obvious signs before accepting a return/exchange/claim.

You might want to go back to the store or call customer care to have this declaration changed before sending back the broken phone.