Canada - no signal - Windows Phone

xochitl0124

I am in Canada, my plan should work but getting no signal. Window's phone. Roaming is on. Any thoughts on why I can't connect/get a signal?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Canada - no signal - Windows Phone

Hey xochitl0124 - this is no good!  We don't want you stranded while traveling.  What plan and which Windows phone do you have?  Did you just arrive in Canada, or have you been there for a bit now - did you have signal previously in the same area? 

- Marissa

• xochitl0124

I arrived yesterday. I have the unlimited data plan. I have the Microsoft Lumia 650. I haven't had a signal since I got here.

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha, I'm so sorry, I should have asked what rate plan specifically - is your plan Pay In Advance or postpaid (Simple Choice or T-Mobile ONE)?  I just want to rule that out as a possible issue!  Also, I'd love to take a peek at what bands our roaming partners in that area are using and what your phone is compatible with, since it's not a T-Mobile device - do you have the unlocked version or was it originally locked to a carrier?  Where in Canada are you staying, if you don't mind saying?

- Marissa

• xochitl0124

I am on the T-Mobile One (I believe) the standard monthly billing plan, not pre-paid. The phone was originally unlocked (purchased directly from Microsoft with the goal of putting it on my T-Mobile plan).

I am staying in Ottawa.

Thank you for your help!

• tmo_marissa

Okay, so the good news is that we definitely have a roaming partner in Ottowa for talk and 3G or higher connectivity.  Currently our roaming partner in that area is Bell.  The bad news is that I can't tell exactly what band our customers can pick up in Ottowa specifically, but I can tell you that throughout Canada two of the frequencies that they operate, 850 and 1900, your phone should be capable of using. 

So - that said - I was able to do a little internet digging for you and found these steps to complete a manual network selection.  Can you see if this works for you, and if Bell is an option that you're able to select?

1. From the Start screen, swipe to the left.
                        2. Scroll to and tap Settings.
                        3. Tap Network & wireless.
                        4. Tap Mobile & SIM.
                        5. Tap SIM settings.
                        6. Tap Search for networks.
                        7. Wait whilst the device searches for available networks.
                        8. Tap the Select a network dropdown.
                        9. Tap the required network.
                        10. Tap OK.

Let me know if that works out!

- Marissa

• xochitl0124

Yes, Bell is available but when I pick it I still am not getting a signal

(I tried restarting my phone after picking Bell). It keeps saying network I

picked isn't available.

• tmo_marissa

Eeek!  I am so bummed to read that update.  That's the limit of what we're able to do externally - we need to have a team with account access take a look at this on the back end (and possibly file a ticket if needed to determine if there's an outage in the area).  Simple question that I should have asked earlier that can help rule that out - are you travelling with anyone else who has T-Mobile, and if you are, do they have signal?  If you're solo or travelling with another T-Mobile customer who also isn't getting service on Bell, you can still reach out to a team with account access by logging in to Facebook or Twitter and messaging us there - through those social media channels, we're able to securely authenticate an account, so we can access things that we're not able to here on Support since this community is a user forum.  Please keep us posted!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey xochitl0124 - I just wanted to check back in with you and see if you'd had any luck after reaching out to our Tech Care team.  How is everything going?  Are you still travelling - were you able to connect to the roaming partner?

- Marissa