Battery drain ever since update

larry91

I updated to H91810j and it's been killing my battery. Fortunately, it's not a constant every day drain, but it seems to happen every other day at random times. I go into my battery usage stats and stopping "Google Services" seems to clear things up and bring the battery usage down to normal levels again for about a day.

I consider about 1% every 2-3 minutes to be normal battery drain in my personal experience. About 10 minutes ago, I was getting about 1% drain every 30 seconds! Does anyone else have this problem?

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Battery drain ever since update

Happy Saturday, larry91!

Is it safe to assume that you're referring to the LG V20 software update? The battery drain sounds pretty extreme. Having the second screen active while the device is not in use may drain the battery faster than expected. The proximity sensor will turn off the second screen while the screen is not viewable. The second screen can be set to turn off while the main screen is off, helping to conserve battery life.

1. From any home screen, tap the Apps icon.
        2. Tap Settings. If using Tab view, tap Menu > List view.
        3. Scroll down to the 'DEVICE' heading and tap Second screen.
        4. Set Show when main screen off to OFF.

Give that a shot and let me know if your battery life improves.

• larry91

Hi, Chris.

I haven't noticed anything for about a week now. I think the main problem was probably the last update of Google+. I guess it was probably misbehaving and causing excessive battery drain.

I do still have other little bugs ever since this update though. The fingerprint scanner is slower to wake the phone and the recent apps menu will sometimes be really laggy after the phones been on standby for an hour or so.

Not a big deal since it's not a constant problem though.

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, larry91!

It definitely sounds like you've narrowed it down to the G+ app. As far as the fingerprint scanner goes, it works best when you are also touching the metal side rails on the device. If a case covers the metal rails, this can interfere with proper function of the fingerprint scanner. If there is any dirt, water, or dust on the fingerprint sensor, it may also affect the performance. Dry skin or wounds on the finger may affect fingerprint recognition. LG is investigating the matter and plans to improve performance in a future software update.

• larry91

Hi, Amanda.

Metal side rails? I know that the old V10 had metal side rails, but I don't see any on the current V20. I've also been using the same case on my V20 since before the current update and never had an issue with the fingerprint reader. I also tried cleaning the sensor and it didn't help.

• tmo_marissa

Whoops, larry91 - you are totally right.  It looks like in our documents for both devices, we used the same text describing holding the sides of the phone while you're placing your fingerprint on the scanner (button) on the back - sorry for the confusion there, and thank you for calling that out so that we can get it updated.  The premise is the same, but I know the side rails are gone for the V20 (I am actually kind of scared to upgrade because I'm afraid I'd miss them - the V10 feels so sturdy!).  Is your fingerprint scanner still acting a little funky?  Have you tried doing another print? 
                  I don't see any reports in our Known Issues re: the recent apps screen lagging (pre or post update), but that would get under my skin.  Is it the Recent Apps screen itself that's lagging after standby, or individual apps/pages that are lagging when you try to pull them back up?

- Marissa