iOS Push Notifications Known Issue (MWI)

snn_555

I have the iPhone 7 Plus.  Have had it since Saturday January 28, 2017.

I don't know that I have voicemails unless I manually check the VM tab in the Phone app.  There is no badge on the VM tab, nor a notification in the drop down screen, nor the lock screen.

I originally had no issues, until I realized I had missed calls, but no notifications that I had voicemails. (standard nor visual)

I contacted chat once, called support a couple times.  Visual Voicemail was provisioned for my line as well as my second line, also on an iPhone 7 Plus.  The second line has had no issues with the message waiting indicator, badges, or banners/alerts.

T-Mobile had me return my phone to the store yesterday and exchange for the same model.  Yet, the issue remains. 

I contacted support again and was told to allow 2-24 hours for all the account changes to catch up, sync, and fall into place.  I was told I'd be contacted again at 3PM today.  That call never came.

I called support again today a few minutes ago and was told that I had no issue, that I was still getting my voicemails and that the only issue, if there was one, was that other than using an iPhone (?) that I was basically being petty about not receiving notice that I had voicemails waiting.

I was then told that it was a known issue affecting all iOS users and that T-Mobile had no ETA as to the rectification. Then I was told it only affected some users, after I mentioned my second line had no issues in this regard.  Apparently, the issue has been known since January 12, 2017.  Apparently no one at the store (manager included) nor any other rep at T-Mobile nor Apple (whom I chatted with 3 times about this issue) knew that this known issue was really an issue.

Anyone with any info about this Push-MIW notification issue?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: iOS Push Notifications Known Issue (MWI)

Hey snn_555.  I'm sorry you got so many different answers about this - I'm sure by the time we advised you that it was a known issue you probably had no idea what to think.  We should have checked the emerging and known system issues the first time you reached out to the first one of us you reached out to, so we could have saved you the time and trouble of hunting for an answer. 

I pulled up our systems lists this morning and can confirm that after an increase in reports of iPhones having serious MWI delays (which may cause failure to receive the indicator at all) this is listed as a known issue and Engineering is currently running traces to identify the root cause.  I am also sorry to say that it's correct that there isn't a current ETA for this problem.  If you want to glass-half-full the situation, the fact that the original reports started about three weeks ago bodes well - unlike an individual ticket, problems that affect so many customers that they're listed as emerging or known issues have tons of data for Engineering to review, so hopefully you won't be waiting too long for a fix.

- Marissa

• snn_555

Thank you so much for getting to my question and confirming what would otherwise be rumour.  I trust this fix would come in the form of a carrier update correct?

• tmo_marissa

Honestly, that's difficult to say until the root cause is pinpointed!  It could be software related, network related, or a bit of both - but if it's strictly a network issue, then Engineering should be able to isolate and resolve it without software.  Even if it's a bit of both, that might still be possible if there's a workaround that can be employed on our side.  Just out of curiousity, the phone that's not having this issue, on your other line - is it also an iPhone 7 Plus, or is it a different iOS device?  Are they both running iOS 10.2.1?

- Marissa

• snn_555

The other iPhone 7 Plus is also on 10.2.1....and until I actually checked and tested that phone, there was no known issue...but, unfortunately, there is the same problem with that phone as there is with mine.  That user just never knew to look.  They always saw a missed call, and checked their recents list and manually checked voicemail.  They never knew to notice a missing badge or alert.  So, add another iPhone 7 Plus on 10.2.1 to the list of affected devices.

• tmo_marissa

Hey hey!  I thought of you today because I came across an update to this issue while I was looking for something, so I wanted to share.  It looks like engineering has been able to duplicate the issue and capture traces - apparently devices are not "waking up" and displaying new messages when they've been left.  The information has been forwarded to Apple for review. 
                Forgive me, this update was from the 20th and I entirely missed it - the ticket still doesn't have a timeline or projected method of resolution, but I wanted to make sure you knew there was some progress here!

- Marissa

• ahann717

Thanks for posting this update. We are having the same issue. Honestly I never had a problem like this until we switched to T-Mobile. I had the same device on both my old network and new one. I'm hanging in there though waiting for a fix. I did notice I started receiving text messages with the voicemail transcribed and I'm not sure how or why that is happening. Is that related?

• bluetop8

Hey there, I have two lines, my iPhone 6s suffers from delayed voicemail notifications or no notifications same with my wife's iPhone 7, both running latest software and carrier versions, what has engineering come up with and when will this be resolved please.

Thank you,

Steve

• bluetop8

I will add that this is interment and seems to be more problematic when on WiFi or WiFi calling, also there have been times when people would call my number and I can't take their call but the caller will not even hear any voicemail greeting (that I believe has gotten better). any update would be encouraging.

• bluetop8

More info here, I just toggled airplane mode on then off and then after a few seconds a voicemail finally appeared that I'd left as a test almost two hours before, so it seems when the iPhone is idle it doesn't always pull/grab new voicemails. There has got to be a fix for this.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, snn_555, ahann717 and bluetop8. I did a check on the status of this issue, and the most recent information says that the issues been identified and a fix is being prepared to be deployed via software update some time during Q3 2017 -- so hopefully, the wait won't be too much longer. Thanks for hanging in there -- I'm following the issue and if I read any more updates I will let you know ASAP!

- Marissa

2 of 2 people found this helpful