Are warranty exchange phones refurbished?

zambrsa

I been having issue with my iPhone 6 since the first warranty exchange. This is the 4th phone I receive in less than a month from T-Mobile and I'm still having the same issues I did with the last phone. The phone does not connect to wi-fi networks unless I'm directly next to modem and the location on the phone is always wrong, therefore GPS is useless.

The first phone I received was returned because the representative that put the order in for the exchange did not put the correct color of my phone so the phone had to be returned, the second phone I received did not connect to the network, it just said "No Service". The third and now fourth phone does not connect to wi-fi network and location is always wrong, it states I'm about a mile away from where I'm actually at. GPS is useless because of that same issue.

I'm so upset when I called T-Mobile technical support, their response was "well we can't do anything, you just have to take it to the Apple store" REALLY??????  I have been to the T-Mobile store to pick up a warranty exchange four times in less than a month and now I have to go to the Apple store. Why are these phones not being tested before they're sent to customers?. Why do I have to take time out of my day to try to get to the Apple store to see if hopefully they can find a solution.

This is by far the worst service I have received from Tmobile.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Are warranty exchange phones refurbished?

This is really heartbreaking to hear zambrsa. It's not normal to have to replace a phone that many times, so my apologies this happened. The replacement phones that are sent can be new or refurbished depending on what's in the warehouse. Have you already made sure the device's software is up to date? You could also try backing up your information and resetting the phone then giving it another shot. It's a good idea to test the device without any personal data on it to see if it works properly. I'm sorry we told you to head to the Apple store, but one possible reason is to have one of the associates there take a look and do troubleshooting as well.

• tmo_marissa

Hey zambrsa.  I just wanted to drop in and see if you'd had a chance to try the reset that tmo_mike_c recommended, or bring your phone by the Apple store to have it looked over.  How is everything going?

- Marissa

• stephentolan7

Hello,

I am having the same issue. I’m now on my 4th replacement in about 1.5 months. As soon as I get the phone, something else is broken. They are always refurbished, never a new phone. This is completely frustrating. Never had this issue with AT&T so this makes me think this is a problem with T-Mobiles supply chain, suppliers, or QA process checking their phones. I have been with T-Mobile for a whipe now but maybe it’s time to go somewhere else. It’s or a threat but what else is a consumer summosed to do here if the same company delivers the same quality. Insanity is doing the same thing expecting differemy results.

i hope this helps others

• tmo_mike_c

Yikes stephentolan7 !

That's quite a few phones to go through in such a short time, so we really wanna help you get a working phone. What type of phone are you using? What's going on with the replacement that you have now?

• stephentolan7

I’m in the process of getting another replacent now. Awaiting for the phone to arrive at a store to replace it. This was for a 6 Plus and then 6 Plus S. They are upgrading me to a 7 Plus bc I been having so many issues one after the other.

hopefully this is the last replacement. I just want a phone that works like it is supposed to. I’ll update here what happens next.

• stephentolan7

Just got the 7 Plus 128 GB. So far so good. I just hope this one stays working and it doesn’t have any issues. It was really frustrating as I work from my phone too.

Hope you don’t hear from me again

• dragon1562

Sounds like everything worked out for you if they gave you a free upgrade like that. If this does happen in the future I would suggest reseting your router by turning it off and unplugging the power for about 40 secs and then replugging it back in and turning it on. Little simple things like this can go a long way in fix odd issues when it comes to connecting to wireless networks.

Also it is likely there was some kind of software bug with the Iphone 6 if it was happening across multiple devices. I know for me personally with IOS 11 I have faced a fair share of bugs. So if you do a update in the future and bugs crop up for your 7 plus try reverting back to a stable version of IOS if all else would fail since modem failure is odd to have in a device without other issues.

Hope this advice can come in handy in the future and again I'm happy things worked out for you.

• stephentolan7

Hello,

the issues I had each time were different and on different phones. It went like:

1. iPhone 6 Plus -> iPhone 6 Plus with that had issue with detecting me touching the iPhone (aka touch disease)

2. iPhone 6 Plus -> iPhone 6 Plus with GSP issue (could not update my location)

3. iPhone 6 Plus -> iPhone 6 Plus S with vibration motor lose inside phone (you could hear rattling sound coming from inside it)

4. iPhone 6 Plus S -> iPhone 7 Plus (so far no issues)

Every time I wipped out the phone to factory reset (without restoring backup) 2-3 times. Reset all network settings, issues happened with or without Wi-Fi.

My guess is the quality assurance validating refurbished phones for any iPhone 6 is horrible. That’s probably why the moved me to iPhone 7. this is not a great way to “get a free upgrade” when this process took about 1.5 months. I depend on my phone working for work so this was really a huge pain.

• dragon1562

Awe sorry about that I misunderstood and thought it was the same issue persisting across devices. If it makes you feel better I had a similar issue with AT&T and the note 4. I still think that all things considered things worked out well in the end. There is always worse that could have happened after all.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for the update. Ideally, we don't want you to have to replace the phone at all, but in some cases, a replacement device is the only way to go. Sorry it took some time to get to this point, but I am glad to hear the new phone is working better and I do hope it continues to behave.

• tim-90

At least you finally got some closure I am on my 5th replacemen in two months with still crappy quailly phones and about 5 more replacements prior to that

• mjc3242

I have had the same problem multiple times!!! T-Mobile than tried to send me to an Apple Store since I had too many exchanges within a 90 day period but with my disability I couldn' do that so I bought a new phone on EBay and haven' had any problems and just sold the other one there and ended up making more than I paid for the new one!!! T-Mobile may be good in some aspects but they hate to admit when they are wrong!!!