ASUS TM-AC1900 - 5Ghz broken?

quailalstar

ASUS TM-AC1900 stopped broadcasting 5Gz all of a sudden one day. I've checked all the settings, and it's showing as broadcasting although it is clearly not. Googling this symptom yielded similar issues from other ASUS owners across various models. Usually, a hard reset takes care of the missing 5Ghz issue; didn't help with my router.

Anyone else here experienced this?

Current firmware is: TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4.376_3169

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: ASUS TM-AC1900 - 5Ghz broken?

Hey there!

Is this continuing to be an issue for you? We haven't seen any other reports or chiming in, but we definitely want to help you figure out what's going on if it continues to be a problem!

-Lauren

• quailalstar

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, my unit is still behaving the same and not broadcasting the 5Ghz channel regardless of troubleshooting methods.

Would it be possible to have a replacement unit be sent to exchange? Hopefully not a refurbished unit.

Thank you!

Michael

• tmo_chris

We can definitely do an exchange for you I would recommend that you Contact Us when you have some free time so you can speak with our tech support teams and get this replaced.

• mnagali

Hi Chris, I am also having the same problem I suppose, except mine affects both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz . I had made my own thread detailing my frustrations before seeing this existing thread.  I have spoke with multiple support reps (see my thread for details), but it would be nice if I could get my device replaced. Thank you in advance!

-Mark

• mnagali

were you able to get a replacement unit?

• tmo_chris

Hey mnagali,

I was able to see your thread. It is a pretty sticky situation that you are in beings that you are not a T-Mobile customer We are unable to replace your device as you must have an account with us first. I would do as snn_555 suggested and take the refund that was offered to you.

• mnagali

I have a prepaid T-mobile account if that is of any value, but I don't believe I was logged into my account when I made the purchase -- again, the device was simply purchased outright by itself. Can that order be attached to my account so I can get service?

Also, please educate the sales support about the status of these wifi routers. I spoke with multiple reps in their department and kept being told that there were no more stock available to send for replacement.

You may question why I purchased a T-mobile branded router instead of the original ASUS model? I only paid 40% of the price of the original ASUS one, so no I'm not excited to simply take a refund at this point, as it will cost me a lot more to replace it. My device is only about 2 months old and should be well within any warranty period. It is just upsetting that neither T-mobile nor ASUS are willing to fix or replace my device.

• mnagali

Hi Chris, I've officially given up hope on getting service or replacement on my device, so I simply bought a different wifi router. Now going through the different departments of T-mobile support no one seems to be willing to even give me the refund anymore!

1) Web & Online sales/Customer support can't offer refund because it's outside the return period, and previously no replacement because supposedly no stock available.

2) Technical/Pre-paid/Post-paid support have no help to offer me because my purchase wasn't attached to a T-mobile account.

group 1 keeps directing me to group 2, and group 2 directs me to group 1 or ASUS, and ASUS directs me back to T-mobile.

Not sure what other support departments exist, but I'm sure I've been transferred to them at some point, and they too have been of no help. Is there any HIGHER level of support/department I can voice my grievances to? clearly my problem is a unique scenario because it falls outside the parameters of where these groups can help me.

• tmo_chris

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting the refund you were promised I would recommend that you reach out to our social media team T-Force using the Facebook or Twitter links in my signature. T-Force will be able to take a holistic look at your account and see what specifically happened when you were first offered the refund.

• mnagali

I don't use twitter but did use Facebook to contact your social media team. Initial message sent 2/10, with follow-up on 2/14 and 2/16 -- ignored. I disagree with the claims on the page that they are "Very responsive to messages" and "Typically replies within an hour" .

I am taking the advice of one customer service rep to mail a letter to Customer Relations. I can't believe in this day of age I cannot contact Customer Relations directly via phone or email and I must send a letter in the mail. If they can't help me not sure who can, perhaps I need to talk with American Express.

• tmo_lauren

Hmm, that's incredibly out of the ordinary to not get a response. Have they still not had anything to say?

We can follow up with them specifically on your case if we need to look into why they aren't responding.

Thank you so much!

-Lauren

• mnagali

I had assumed that they hit a similar slump as every other phone service rep.Attached ia screenshot of my facebook interaction withTmobile. 2017-02-24 16.56.30.png I am currently awaiting a response to my snail mail plea to Tmobile customer relations.

• Perhaps go to a store with the router, box, and parts with your receipt and see what a store can do for you.  I agree that T-Mobile should have never sold you the router since it is not available for prepaid customers.  They should stand behind the error, but it will be hard due to you slipping through some loophole.  Might take a little legwork with proof of purchase and some in-person help.  In the end of course, it may be more about the principle rather than the money.  That's all up to you of course as to the amount of work you want to put into this and whether or not it is worth the time.  Good luck.

• quailalstar

Update: Called 611, spoke to support Thursday morning (2/9) and they overnighted a brand new unit which arrived yesterday (2/10).

Haven't had a chance to set up the new one yet. Build date on the replacement is November 28, 2015. I heard these have been discontinued and my hunch is T-Mobile has a lot of stock.

• sweetpeach

Crazy idea (probably unnecessary) did you update the software recently?

• There hasn't been an update in months and OP is on the current firmware most likely with it being 2 months old.  I'm sure it updated or gave notice to do so.  Mine did so IDK how long ago.  This router is basically a replace as needed piece of equipment with little to no support whatsoever.  Asus does not support it and T-Mobile no longer develops updates for it.  (Or so it would seem)