Bad coverage or a stinky radio in your phone?

rbob

I've probably done more than my share of complaining about bad coverage, but now wonder if it's coverage or bad radios in a lot of phones.

I replaced my Nexus 6 with a Google Pixel (the little one) and now get solid signals in places where my Nexus 6 was only useful as a paperweight or nightlight.

Phone reviews spend a lot of ink talking about phone cameras, but rarely address the performance of the radios, particularly the receivers.

So, I take back my whining about coverage at my inlaws in ZIP 55381. I'll try to followup about the terrible problems I've had on Sanibel Island in Florida next time we're down there.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Bad coverage or a stinky radio in your phone?

Newer phones will usually have better radios that can take advantage of t-mobile new network tech. I believe the 6 didn't have band 12 active if you running a older version of android on the device so maybe your just noticing that coverage on you pixel since it works out the box.

• rbob

The Nexus 6 has had Band 12 support for as long as I've had mine.

My inlaw's place is in a Band 2 area, and the phone could only get a useable signal in one room, near a window on the 2nd floor, and that was intermitent.

The Pixel gets a solid, pretty much unwavering signal everywhere in the house where I've tried it, including on the couch in the living room, so I can pretend to be paying attention while I'm actually Web surfing or on Twitter

• snn_555

rbob wrote:

Nexus 6 was only useful as a paperweight or nightlight.

Phone reviews spend a lot of ink talking about phone cameras, but rarely address the performance of the radios, particularly the receivers.

This is very true.  However, it's probably easier for some reviewers to cover the camera than signal since camera photo examples can be made almost anytime anywhere.  Over on Droid-Life, they test signal a lot since the main reviewer lives in a home that is almost devoid of all carrier's signal.