rbryinc

OK, I have no idea where you get 2+ days unless it is off.  With the always on I get 12-15 hours if lucky and per all conversations they write always on 2 days.  2 American days?

All replies

• azdreamscape

Re: Gear S3 Battery Life

I'm with you on this.

I can easily get one full day's usage (moderate usage), but that's it.

The watch has been off the charger since about 0700 this morning, and now at 1718 I have 49% charge left.

I have tried keeping it connected via Bluetooth, and not connected via Bluetooth. Doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.

I turned off 'wake-up gestures', so the screen doesn't come on unless I press a button or turn the bezel. Not a lot of help there, either.

I'm not really disappointed since I never did expect to get three days like some users claim.

It's not T-Mobile's fault, they didn't make the thing, and they only have Samsung's specs to go by.

No way am I making that multi-state road trip without a charger at hand.

• tmo_marissa

Hey rbryinc!  I have to say - I actually LOLed at "2 American days", so thanks for making my Sunday morning. We have a few tips for Battery life: Samsung Gear S3 frontier, if you'd like to take a look.  TBH I don't know that I'd call any of these steps groundbreaking - but sometimes I forget about things I can do on my phone to help prolong the battery life until I review a list like this, so it never hurts to throw out there.  Ultimately, is it draining faster than you expected/some user reviews claim, or so fast that you're concerned it's defective?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • rbryinc

OK, all these "tips" defeat the whole purpose of the watch

Tips to save battery life

• Change application sync settings
              • Lower screen brightness and timeout duration
              • Connect to smartphone (standalone mode drains battery more quickly)
              • Uninstall unused apps
              • Update to the latest software

If I wanted the screen brightness lowered to the point that I need to call out my seeing eye dog chihuahua I would just keep it off, then I can leave it home, then I can return it since it is not doing anything

If I wanted it connected to smartphone and not use the stand alone feature then I would drink the Kool Aid and join the Apple cult and get an Apple watch..

I do not install Apps I do not use, people actually do that?  Seems to me a little ridiculious to go to the app store and say " hey, that's a great App I do not use, let me install it"

Auto Update, always updated to latest, you do know this is a Samsung product so basically they update the software every other leap year any way so it is usually not an issue.

My feeling is that they should just not lie about functionality in the first place.  Nothing that is run on a battery EVER gets the longevity that the manufacture lies about

• azdreamscape

I HEAR YA!

'Keep the device turned off for maximum battery life.'

YA, RIGHT!

One suggestion I found on the Samsung site is to re-set the watch to factory, and then only re-install the apps and faces you actually want to use.

Yes, it's a PITA!

In my case, I seem to be getting better battery life.

But it's only been one day.

As always, YMMV!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tmo_chris

Hey rbryinc,

Just wanted to check in here with you to see how things were going? Were you able to find anything useful in the document that @tmo_marissa linked?

• rbryinc

How was "tmo_mike_c marked tmo_marissa's reply as helpful" The comment did nothing to help at all, it basally told me to turn off the watch and I will get better battery life, yea that really helped. Let me tell you, when I have the watch turned off I can get about a year out of it.  The issue is to be able to actuality use it, but hey, since I know nothing more then before  that comment I guess it helped someone just not me.

• tmo_mike_c

You wouldn't have to turn off the device to get battery life rbryinc. For example, that link Marissa posted mentioned changing the screen brightness and uninstalling unused apps which doesn't involve shutting the device off at all. I checked Samsung's website and they mention it'll last up to 3 days on a single charge. In my opinion, the battery life the manufacturers give are more of an estimate than an exact time. With that being said, if you've tried the steps listed in the battery life doc, and it's still draining faster than normal, resetting the device would be the last step you could take. Resetting it would help fix any software related problems that may be causing this.

• rbryinc

OK, here is the situation.  When you look at the stats in  what they use to sell it they state 4 days battery life.  They charge lets say $400 for the watch.  They do not say that to get this you need to adjust 40 different watch functions so basically they lied.  If there was a sign on the store that said 50 apples for $100, you bought them and when you got home there were only 25, you call the store and they tell you, well if you cut the 25 in half you will have 50 I take it you would say, oh, ok that is fine. If one of the reason I bought this was because of its increase battery life and I get half of what they state can I get a $200 refund? I want to use the watch with all its functions, not have to adjust them so I have a dark screen, one app on it to get it to do what they advertised.  You can spin this anyway you like but as always there were gross inaccuracies stated to sell this item, sort of like Trump having people believe he is not insane.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. I couldn't find anything from Samsung mentioning a 4 day battery life. Even after speaking with my Samsung contact, they mentioned the battery life posted on the site would be accurate. As for posting what you have to do to get that battery life, I can't say why that's not mentioned. My guess is that it's expected for you to use the device like normal and if you have battery life that's lower than expected, then you would use the steps recommended to save battery life. This would be the case for any device we sell. I definitely don't expect you to keep just one app on the phone, however I still feel like trying some of those steps are worth it to help with the battery life.

• azdreamscape

I did my research before deciding to buy one.

Many, MANY reviews stating the 4-day battery life was a pipe dream.

Some other reviews stating that two OR MAYBE three days was possible.

I figured I'd be happy with at least one full day, and I'm getting better than that...so I'm happy.

I've said it before, T-Mobile did not build the watch nor did they write the specifications for it.

If T-Mobile would need to do their own testing to verify the specs on every device they sold, you would probably be complaining that the new Super-Bazinga phone wasn't yet available due to being held up in testing.,

I'm sorry you don't like your watch, I'll give you $100 for it.

• azdreamscape

I just looked, and the T-Mobile listing for the Gear S3 does not specify any expected battery life:

Battery Life

• N/A talk time
                            • N/A standby time

The Samsung website states:

Go for days.

The Gear S3’s battery lasts up to 3 days on a single charge,4  so you can venture further, wherever you’re going.

4 Average expected performance based on typical use. Results may vary.

• rbryinc

OF course, once again being totally full of it to sell a product, they are not even close.  If I have it at 100% charged if I get 1 1 and a 1/2 days I am lucky.  The only way you are getting 4 is if it is off.

• rbryinc

And PS, what are they stating is typical use, based on what?  Like I stated previously.  When you sell a product and your selling points are a bright big screen and four day battery life tell me where it states as long as both are not being used at the same time.  You can use your bright screen if it is in the charging doc when it is on so you get four days OR you have to dim your screen so no one can see it when you wear it to get four days.  IT is a crock.

• azdreamscape

Please explain what any of this has to do with the DIGITS program?

If you just need to vent, perhaps you should go over to the Samsung forums and bark at them.

DFTT

• chazp

Amen.

New to Digits Beta with Gear S3 sharing phone number with my Samsung Note 4.  So far after setup this afternoon, am receiving and can make phone calls and texts.  All show in both devices.

What I wanted to do I can.  I can leave my phone and office and while away I am reachable text and voice.  So far my Beta experience is painless.