Branched from an earlier discussion.
Branched to a new discussion.

Nexus 7 and DIGITS app

azdreamscape

Subject: Nexus 7 and DIGITS app.

Nexus 7 is currently running Android 5.1.1, but the play store won't let me install the DIGITS app.

Tablet was previously rooted and running CyanogenMod, but I restored the tablet to factory today.

I have other tablets running 4.4.2, and the app installs and runs fine on them.

Any ideas?

I'm considering 'side-loading' the .apk if I'm forced to...

All replies

• tmo_tim_b

Re: Nexus 7 and DIGITS app

Hello azdreamscape -

Is the play store giving you a specific error when trying to install it? While I understand you restored the factory software today, I'm not sure what process you used and if some remnants of the mod are still on the device, but have you considered clearing cache and data on the play store and download manager or doing a full reset after the software restore?

• azdreamscape

I used ADB to flash a factory image of Android 4.3, which reset the device to out-of-the-box condition.

No signs of TWRP, nor any of the backups or other files that were on the device before.

There were several rounds of updates until I finally arrived at 5.1.1.

In any case, I re-installed ESFile Explorer on another tablet, made a backup of the DIGITS app, and installed it successfully on the Nexus 7. Signed into my account and made a phone call to my wife, so it (the app) does work.

Not the first time I've had to work around the Play Store to get an app installed on a device where it runs fine.

The only issue now is that it won't update automagically, and I'll have to go through the same process every time there IS an update.

Ain't technology wonderful!

• azdreamscape

It is perplexing.

What could possibly be making this device incompatible???

Since Android 5.1.1 wasn't working so well, I repeated the restore process and stopped at Android 4.4.4.

I realize this is below the recommended Android version, but I have other tablets withe 4.2.2 which seem to work fine.

I'm not desperate to have DIGITS on the Nexus 7, but I will be using it from time to time. Answering calls on any device is what DIGITS is all about, right?

If there is any insight as to how to alleviate this, I'm open to suggestions.

• azdreamscape

Nope, DIGITS is 'not compatible with this device'.

(No matter what version of Android is running.)

• tmo_marissa

Hey azdreamscape - just checking in!  Have you given this another shot, or are you still using this workaround setup?

- Marissa

• azdreamscape

I haven't reinstalled the app (via workaround) since I last restored the tablet and stopped at 4.4.2.

I just checked it, though, and the app is still not available to that device.

In addition, none of the other three T-Mobile apps I have installed on other devices (TMO Tuesdays, Visual Voicemail, or My Account) can be installed, either.

T-Mobile does not love my Nexus 7! 

At this point, it's just a curiosity, since I have other tablets I can use if I want to use DIGITS on a tablet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • debjitjdv

Dont be sorry or sad azdreamscape. Following your thread I tried to install DIGITS app in my Nexus 7 from Play Store and guess what? Could not install it as error message appears that its is not compatible with my device. Mine is updated to 5.1.1 too. Is it because DIGITS is not compatible with tablet? I do not have other tablets to experiment with.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • azdreamscape

Actually, I suspect the problem comes from Play Store itself, and not T-Mobile.

Also, I'm betting there is nothing T-Mobile can do about it.

I have another app that I can't install normally from the Play Store (on a different, even older tablet). The developer says it should run on that device, and it does if I use the workaround I describe above.

• tmo_marissa

I'm going to ask up and see if we can get confirmation that it's simply incompatible at this point - I hadn't heard as much, but I'd hate for you to keep trying with no result.  Thank you both for bringing this up!  I'll update you ASAP.

- Marissa

• azdreamscape

Thanks, Marissa.

The fact the app works fine when installed from it's .apk file tells me it's not really an issue with the tablet.

It's just that the Play Store THINKS there is a problem with the tablet. (Perhaps thinks is too strong a word)

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!