Missing text messages on Lumia 640

sdjefferies

This has been happening since I bought my Lumia 640 back in June of 2015. Every once in a while, an incoming or out going message will just be lost, never sent or received, but the original sender, either me or the other person sending to me will receive no errors and everything looks fine from the sender's side. Magically the message is just lost and never seen by the receiver. I would say it happens on average of 1 out of 50 messages, I'll either send a message and it won't be received on the other side, or I'll be sent a message and I won't receive it on my side. Does anyone else have this issue?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Missing text messages on Lumia 640

Hey sdjefferies!  We want 50/50 of your messages to work.  When these messages fail and you're the sender, do you see them in the existing message thread, or do they disappear?  Are you having these troubles with one specific number, or many of your contacts? 

- Marissa

• sdjefferies

My outgoing messages always show as if they sent with no error, they never just disappear either. So I have no warning that my messages weren't received, and sometimes its pretty important. Same thing for the incoming ones I don't get. My wife and some friends will show me where it says I go the message on their phone, but I don't have it. Also, this happens with any contact on any type of phone, Android or Apple. not just one contact.

I have already done a hard reset AND played with the messaging settings. The lack of consistency eludes to this being a permanent bug in the phone. Not sure what to do and really don't want to buy a $450 replacement windows phone.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm curious if you've ever tested your sim card in a different phone to see if the same thing happens. I don't want you to have to buy a phone to fix this either, but testing out another phone (if possible) could let us know if it's something actually being caused by the phone, or something else.

• sdjefferies

I have, I was using a Lumia 520 before my current Lumia 640 with the same SIM card. There were no issues with lost text messages. The issue became instantly apparent after a couple weeks of use when I got my Lumia 640 a couple years ago. I will also note, the issue seems to be getting worse of the last couple of weeks.

• tmo_marissa

Yikes sdjefferies - if you've had this phone for a few years now, I can't even imagine all those missed messages!  Am I reading correctly that when you switched from the 520 to the 640, you moved your existing SIM over?  Have you switched SIM cards at any point over the past few years?  I wonder if it might be worth trying a new SIM to see if that improves it (again, just trying to narrow down any other potential culprit here to prevent you from having to replace your phone)?

- Marissa

• sdjefferies

You are 100% correct! That is the exact chain of events. I have not tried a new SIM card in my phone to see if it fixes the issue. I'm not exactly thrilled with spending $20 on a SIM card to try a fix a $100 phone wit hno guarantee. The phone has been great aside from the text messaging issue. The only other problem is the Bluetooth will "skip" when playing music, almost like a scratched CD would back in the day. But that's no big deal, I just restart the phone and put Pandora on again and the issue is cured. All that to say, I know that after having a phone for a while, things start to get buggy. I wasn't sure if the text message issue on the Lumia 640 was a common problem because this started from the very beginning. It seems like my situation is the unique one and I'll probably need to upgrade my phone sooner than later. I'd love to know the root of the issue, however, it's not worth a huge effort to diagnose and fix a $100 phone. I just hate that I am coming to this understanding when now the only Windows Phone replacement is the Alcatel Idol 4S for $440. I really don't want to spend that kind of money, so I want to hold out as long as I can. I wish there was a mid-tier replacement option like the Lumia 640 was almost two years ago.

• tmo_marissa

Hey sdjefferies!  Sorry to have left you hanging here - I wanted to mention two things!  First, sometimes we are able to ship a SIM card for free for troubleshooting purposes - you'd need to Contact Us and ask, but this situation seems to merit a test to me.  Second, I thought of you earlier today when taking a peek at our current device roster - it looks like right now (and for a limited time?) the Alcatel IDOL 4S is actually on sale for $288!  I don't know if you're in the market for a new Windows phone right about now or if you'd like to give this Lumia a last go, but I just wanted to make sure I let you know. 

- Marissa

• sdjefferies

tmo_marissa! Thank you for checking back, you didn't leave me hanging at all! That is good news on the SIM card for trouble shooting. I will probably reach out today to see about getting that from T-Mobile. As far as the Alcatel being only 288 now, that is very exciting and I am very interested. I am hoping this price sticks around for a little while so I can successfully trouble shoot my phone and make a decision on buying the Alcatel or not. That is a very good looking phone and I would love to upgrade to it, especially now that the price seems right.

• sdjefferies

I decided to not wait and just go ahead and upgrade to the Alcatel Idol 4s at the new price of $288. Thank you for checking in.