Branched from an earlier discussion.

Is the support forum broken, or is it just me?

rbob

Is the support forum broken, or is it just me?

Attempting to enter a question in the "Plans" forum as I'm accustomed to doing now demands that I enter something in the "Place" field at the bottom, but offers no clue about what it wants there.

Entering "Plans" or "Plans & Services Discussions" or "Plans & Services" just results in an error "You are not allowed to create or update this content" when I try to post.

Browsing the "places," I see "This place is not available" on all entries when I hover over the text.

I doubt that this is the kind of thing that the telephone support folks are prepared to handle.

What's going on here?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Good morning rbob!  We've been alerted to some issues with discussion spaces, we've been tidying up around Support to "cozify" (simplify) things before a big makeover.  It should be fixed this morning if you have a chance to give it another shot!  Please let me know if you bump into any more inconsistencies, and I'm sorry about the confusion and inconvenience!

- Marissa

• rbob

Re: Is the support forum broken, or is it just me?

Thanks for the quick followup. I'll give it a go after lunch. Right now, I can only reply to existing posts.

• tmo_marissa

Thank *you* for letting us know something was up!  If you'd be so kind as to return with an update after lunch we'd definitely appreciate it!

- Marissa

• rbob

Being an impatient sort, I didn't wait for lunch and just tried something else, which seems to work.

I found the "Follow" button at the top right of the "Plans" forum message list and on a hunch pressed it. In the list of options I was offered, I selected "Follow in connection stream." I have no idea what that (or any of the other options) means, but it seemed to be more general than the other options.

At any rate, once I did that and opened my question again, to my surprise and delight I found "Plans and Services Discussions" automatically entered in the "In a Place" field at the bottom of the form. I entered my question and was able to post it.

So, it looks like I need to "Follow" a forum before I'm able to make new post to it. As I said, I have no idea what it means to "follow" a forum

If that's the way it's supposed to work, it seems both redundant and mysterious. Once I'm in a forum, I'd expect my post to be assumed to be related to that forum. If a finer level of specification is needed (or wanted), a drop-down list with some options would be a little more obvious. At least, a better explanation of what's needed to enable posting is needed. A description of what it means to follow would be nice too.

Of course, it's possible that all this information is already somewhere, and I just haven't found it yet.

• tmo_marissa

Hrrrm.  Let me clarify - if you visit the Community home page, and click on one of the tiles at the bottom of the page - for instance, Account - does it take you to the Accounts Discussions space?  Do you see a box that says "Ask A Question"?

- Marissa

• rbob

Looks like while I was gone, somebody fixed something!

Previously, when I entered an area, like Accounts, filled in my question, pressed "Ask it" and entered my message, the "Place" area at the bottom was empty and wouldn't allow me to enter anything.

Now, on each of the areas (Account, Coverage, Plans, Devices) the "Place" is now filled it, like Coverage Discussions in the Coverage area, or Devices Discussions in Devices, and I can enter messages normally.

And lo! as I was typing this, a message from tmo_ryan popped up in this thread just after this message saying it had been fixed!

So A) I wasn't crazy, but B) You guys are on the ball over there.

So, thanks for holding my hand for a while, and thanks for fixing things so quickly.

• tmo_ryan

Hey rbob

No need to follow a space to post in it.

We made some changes end of last week that impacted the site permissions. When the change was made there was a snafu with a permission group we had set up for our long timers like you (helps us allow you guys to get through the spam system easier) that effectively made it so you couldn't ask questions.

It's fixed now though so you should be good to go.

Ryan