WiFi calling and idle battery usage?

mrdoh

I have a Pixel phone, currently on Project Fi, and have a WiFi calling question that I need to find the answer to before moving over to T-Mobile. I have very little (unusable) T-Mobile cell coverage at my home, but there is cell coverage in my area; i.e.I'm on the fringe of the coverage area here. So my phone will need to use WiFi calling at home full time on T-Mobile.

My question is, if my phone is always using WiFi calling at home, will my battery go down quickly with the phone trying to find T-Mobile cell coverage all the time? Or will I see normal idle battery usage, and my phone will happily use WiFi for calling and texts, and not be struggling to get usable cell coverage?

I've seen both situations with different cell providers. For example, iPhones that are Verizon at my house always say "Verizon WiFi" on the status line, and the battery usage is normal for an iPhone that has good cell coverage. On the other hand, my Nexus 6P on Republic Wireless would use WiFi calling just fine, but my battery would go down quickly when idle with the phone valiantly attempting to make the unusable T-Mobile coverage usable.

Thanks for you help!

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: WiFi calling and idle battery usage?

That's a pretty legit question, mrdoh. We don't have any "official" tests that I can reference. However, I can share my personal experience with you. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and live in a heavily congested service area. If I don't use WiFi for calls or texts then good luck getting a hold of me. I just checked my battery life over the past 24 hours as well as the past 7 hours and I would say the battery usage is minimal. One thing I'd like to point out is that I have my phone setup to primarily utilize WiFi and only search for cell service when WiFi isn't available.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • mrdoh

Re: WiFi calling and idle battery usage?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I got similar answers on "AndroidCentral" from T-Mobile users, so it sounds promising. I'm leaning towards T-Mobile at this point, and am currently testing how I would do using purely T-Mobile in this area before changing. If things come out well, I'll be going that way.

You may be interested...I'm currently on Project Fi. I put a "data-only" SIM in my iPhone (I have an iPhone and a Pixel phone), which puts me solely on T-Mobile for that phone. Since I have such low T-Mobile coverage at my home, that forces the phone to wifi only at home, and then it uses T-Mobile cell data when I'm mobile. And I'm using this configuration to check out T-Mobile around here. It's looking good so far...while there's virtually no T-Mobile coverage at my home, there's good coverage in the area. So the setting that you mentioned, that will use wifi if it's available, is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!