Alaska questions

rbx3

How much roaming data do you get in Alaska with GCI? Who owns the partner towers in the Prudhoe Bay area of Alaska?  Anyone have experience in the Prudhoe Bay/Kuparuk area with T-Mobile?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Alaska questions

Great questions! Looking at our coverage map, I can see that GCI owns the towers in the Prudhoe Bay/Kuparuk area. As for how much data you will have while roaming in these areas, this is going to depend on your plan and when activated/changed plans with us. Check out the FAQs here and here

• rbx3

Thanks Chris, much appreciated!

I saw a question answered by tmo_ryan on Jan 29th 2016, and he said "When you're on GCI, it's treated like you're on T-Mobile's network from a bucket. In the places where you might see AT&T, texting/calling is just like normal (included in your plan if you've got a normal postpaid account). For data roaming, you can check out Domestic data roaming FAQs to see how much data you might have available. We have a great roaming deal with GCI, AT&T isn't quite as generous"

Could you elaborate more on that? Would I be able to use "unlimited" data in Alaska as long as it were on GCI towers?  Is there a plan that would work for me if I predominantly live in the lower 48 (where there is T-mobile) but can be in Alaska for a month or two straight - using data (1-3 GB of data/month)?

• drnewcomb2

As of Dec '15 GCI showed HSPA+ on the North Slope but no LTE. This seems to be the situation on their current coverage maps. Roaming data on some carriers (e.g. AT&T) is severely limited. On others it's not. T-Mobile seems to "red flag" accounts for review when they use more roaming than native service over an extended period. Since GCI's backhaul from the north slope may be satellite-based, I'm not sure how big of a data pipe you'd be getting but I have no personal experience there.

• rbx3

Thank you, I guess regardless of how much roaming data they would allow through GCI, I would likely get "red flagged" on an extended trip.

• drnewcomb2

Being flagged doesn't mean you'll be cut off. It's apparently a human decision, at least where international roaming is concerned. I have not heard any reports of long-term customers getting cut off after three months. It might help to get T-Mobile to unlock your phone, or bring a spare phone. That way, if you do run out of data you'll be able to pick up a GCI prepaid. $40-$45/month should have you covered.