cassidybucket

I'm being robbed.  I did the trade in deal deal for 2 iphone 6+'s, I never would have traded if not for the "free" iphone 7 credit deal.  Back in september I ordered the two phones and they were delivered in early october.  I completely wiped the 2 iphone 6's before sending them back, and by "completely wiped" I reinstalled IOS using itunes.  If you've ever done this you know that to reinstall the ios system your "find my iphone" needs to be turned OFF, itunes won't let you proceed until you do this.

So...both 6's are completely cleaned and ios reinstalled and they are shipped back.  Everything seems good but november comes and no credit, so I call CS and I'm told to wait at least 2 months before seeing the credits.  OK, december bill gets here and still no credit.  Call again and told the same thing.  January bill comes and same thing.  Now yesterday I get a call telling me that I WON'T be getting the monthly recurring credits because I sent both 6's in with "find my iphone" still turned on.  NOT POSSIBLE. 

This isn't the first issue I've had with upgrading a phone, 2 years ago I sent in my wife's iphone 5 to upgrade to the 6 and got a call telling me I wouldn't get credit for it because I never sent it in.  I had to search through all my tmo communications and found a picture THEY sent me showing the 5 had been received, if I hadn't found the random picture I wouldn't have gotten credit for that phone.  Now they are refusing to credit me for TWO phones.

This whole trade in deal definitely seems like it was a scam.  I don't think TMO was prepared for the number of people who would use the deal and now they're trying to get out of crediting people.

I spent over 2 hours on the phone yesterday and my wife spent at least an hour and she finally got somebody to transfer her to an upper level support service person who finally told her things would get fixed.  I'm not holding my breath....

How many other people are hearing the same thing and being denied their monthly credits???

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Iphone 7 trade in scam

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out and sorry this has been such an ordeal. Typically you are contacted if there is an issue with the wheres my iPhone so it doesn't get to this point, so sorry if the correct chain of events didn't go through.

I know you posted this a few days ago, have you been able to find a resolution after your escalation?

-Lauren

• bdoan28

I have the same issue. Traded in my less than a year old iphone 6 to get iphone 7 for $0 cost. I would have not done that if it is not free. I only received one time credits of $165 within 3 weeks after the trade in. Now it has been 4 months and I haven't received anything else. I called in totally 5 times (1 call every 3 weeks), all of representatices said I shoulda supposed to have monthly credits in the next coming bill (at the time I called). Well I never thought I would be a victim of a scam from T Mobile. I can't believe that such a big company can do things like this. I will try to wait for another month. If I still don't receive my credits back, I will cancel with T Mobile no matter what, and tell every single one of my friends about this scam, about how T Mobile fools people.

• tmo_chris

Hey bdoan28,

We want you to be able to take advantage of the promotion you were offered! Here on a user forum, we cannot see your account so I would recommend that you reach out to our social media team T-Force using the Facebook or Twitter links in my signature. T-Force will be able to take a holistic look at your account and see what is going on with your monthly credits.

• vishaal

I have been through a similar ordeal. Traded in a iPhone 6S and a 5 back when iPhone 7 was launched. I have provided track in numbers of the labels send by T-mobile and provided the IMEI numbers. But they business support and warehouse cannot locate my devices and refuse to give any credit. What are my options?

• tylink

I'm on the same boat but just one iPhone 6s plus stolen by T-Mobile. Gave me some lame excuse. One rep said my trade in phone was not enrolled tmobile mobile1 plan and another one said that my iPhone home finder was not disabled. If anyone know there is a lawsuit for this going, please let me know. I will participate.  I wouldn't be surprise that T-mobile will start locking this thread just like what they did with the other just to keep our mouth shut.

• vishaal

Hi,

After endless number of calls, I was somehow connected to a Nicholas S from Charleston. He had experience in dealing with customers stuck in similar situations. He looked into the history of my issue, spent quite sometime on the phone with the warehouse  guys in Texas and got a resolution for this issue.

See if you can reach out to him.

Good luck.

• tylink

Hi Vishaal,

Thanks for replying. Can you let me know how to go about getting a hold of Niicholas S? Which department does he work in?  Thanks

• vishaal

Hi,

I took some tips from this article

https://dailytekk.com/tmobile-horrible-customer-service-jump/?reading=continue

A lot of people seemed to be stuck in this situation. According to this article it is important to connect to someone in the Customer Service Department who knows the entire process and/or has resolved these issues in the past.

The last time I called customer service, I asked to be transferred to someone above the first level of customer support. Fortunately I was connected to Nicholas S. It seems he had resolved an iPhone trade in issue like mine. He immediately asked me if the UPS label was generated by a T-Mobile customer service in the past. He directly connected with the warehouse in Dallas and explained them my situation. According to him the first level customer support will always follow the same steps (of escalations to Business Support team and filling a device research form) no matter how many times you call. Clearly those steps will not get you anywhere.

So try to ask for a supervisor every time you call.

Good Luck.

• jess5581

OMG I'm SO glad I found you!!!  The same thing happened to us, I posted on Facebook and am posting our story everywhere else I can... see our story below...

I AM BEYOND FRUSTRATED, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO EXCEPT FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST TMOBILE...AFTER A QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH I AM NOW CERTAIN THAT WE'VE BEEN SCAMMED AND TAKEN BY THIS AWFUL COMPANY.  I WILL MAKE IT MY MISSION TO TELL EVERY PERSON I CAN ON EVERY SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM AVAILABLE OUR STORY AND WHAT TMOBILE HAS DONE TO US UNTIL THEY APOLOGIZE AND REFUND US BACK OUR MONEY.

This past fall my fiancé went to the TMobile store on Sawtelle and Olympic in West LA to upgrade our plan and also our phones; he upgraded my phone from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 7s and he upgraded his and his dad's phones from a 6 (his) and a 5s (his dad's) to both 7 plus.  The salesman at the store informed my fiancé that by upgrading our plan and phones and participating in the "Jump" program I believe it is called that all we would need to do is wait to receive the new phones in the mail and once we received them we should then put ALL THREE old iPhones in the said box with the pre paid label to ship back and we would then be credited for the phones.

Upon arrival of the new iPhones i promptly put ALL THREE old iPhones in the box with the prepaid label just as we were instructed to do by the TMobile employee and dropped off the box at a local small business mail store.

Cut to mid December and we look at our bill and see that we have been credited for ONE iPhone and charged for TWO!  We call the main TMobile 1800 number and after being put on hold multiple times, having the call dropped and having to explain the situation to multiple idiotic employees we gave up and decided to visit a physical store later that week.

We later went to the physical TMobile store on Pico near Westwood in LA where we explained the situation to an employee and he informed us that apparently the Sawtelle/Olympic store has a reputation for horrible customer service!  He also told us that the original employee who helped us LIED TO US, we could have dropped the phones off at the TMobile store or if we did mail them back we were supposed to use 3 separate boxes which doesn't make sense because we were only sent 1? So after this new guy is on hold forever he informs us that they're going to "open up an investigation" and look for the phones, whatever that means, and we should receive an email within a month. So reassuring.

It is now the end of February and we FINALLY received an email from TMobile saying basically that they weren't able to find the phones and that we would be charged for them.  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!  THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LEGITIMATE COMPANY, HOW ARE THEY MYSTERIOUSLY LOSING MULTIPLE ITEMS INEXPLICABLY WITH NO ANSWERS?!?  None of this makes sense. 

Lets use our common sense here.. If I stacked all three iPhones in one rectangular box together and they're claiming they only received ONE phone, what happened to the other two in the box?!

So, last night my fiancé and I spend two hours on the phone with TMobile...I kid you not, I think we had 3 dropped calls, sitting on our couch in our home in the middle of Los Angeles, a major metropolitan area, connected to Wifi non the less! Anyway, that's a whole other subject!  After speaking with so called 'supervisor' after 'supervisor' they 'accelerated' the call to the master supervisor apparently who essentially called us liars, saying that he had no explanation for why the phones were missing and he couldn't investigate it anymore.  We then asked for the tracking number for the package, for instance, if you return something to the Gap, lets say, they email you a return label which has a UPS or FedEx tracking number on it which there would be a record of right?  So get this: apparently THERES NO RECORD OF A RETURN LABEL EVER BEING ISSUED FOR OUR ACCOUNT!!  The 'supervisor' puts us on hold AGAIN and allegedly looks for a UPS tracking number but has no success.  The call ends with the so called supervisor telling us there's nothing he can do and if we do not pay for the phones that they're charging us for (AKA THE ONES WE SHIPPED BACK ALREADY!) they'll send us to collections.  Really, is that a great way to treat customers?

Which brings me to today...  I started to do a little research on Google and came across multiple message boards of people with THE SAME STORY!!! We're not alone!  Here's the crazy part... some people posted pictures of the shipping label that TMobile sends to ship back to this mysterious Texas address and ITS NOT EVEN A UPS LABEL!! The 'supervisor' lied to us!  I kept digging and kept finding stories upon stories about people that this has happened to  and why TMobile is doing it...they get you to upgrade your phone, then you send back your old phone trustingly and they claim they never receive it then charge you endless fees for allegedly never returning it!  It's the perfect scam!

This is just the beginning, I will not be taken and pay for something that was stolen by a corporation like TMobile and I will continue to spread the word until they rectify the situation.

• qwu

I have the same issue, see chat transcript, is probably some kind of standard response.  A months back, the response was we didn't receive it, after providing tracking information the response was, it'll take another billing cycle, now the response was "find my iphone was enabled", well done T-Mobile!  These kind of response could've been generated by a robot.  I'm pretty sure a class action lawsuit will shortly follow.

Mihaina: Thank you so much for the information, Upon checking, it seems that the reason why you are not able to receive the device trade in credit is due to that the find my iPhone is enabled upon trading in. I am afraid that since this is the case, it will disqualified the device for the said promotion, Qing. Do you remember turning off the find my iPhone?

2:23, Feb 25

You: Yes I do remember disabling it. If disqualify, what happen to the iPhone 6 that was mailed in?

2:25, Feb 25

Mihaina: Oh my, I see. is there any chance you can check on the I am afraid that it will only result to a $0 trade in value, which is the reason why you are not able to receive the trade in credit yet for the phone and the monthly credit for the promotion, Qing.

2:26, Feb 25

Mihaina: Kindly check if you can see the device as turned off on this website :

Mihaina: or through :

Mihaina: https://www.icloud.com/#find

2:27, Feb 25

You: You haven't answered my question

2:27, Feb 25

Mihaina: Oh, I am afraid that the iPhone 6 may no longer be returned, Qing.

2:30, Feb 25

You: So a $500 phone gets send in, u guys disqualified it for some stupid reason and then keeps my phone?

2:31, Feb 25

You: sounds like a scam to me

You: Not to mention I have to pay for a new phone?

You: Does that sound right to you?

2:35, Feb 25

Mihaina: Oh, I definitely understand your point, Qing. I am a consumer myself and I would definitely feel the same if I were on your situation, I really wish that we can return the phone, however, I am afraid that once it has been sent on our warehouse we no longer be able to have it returned and it is beyond our capability. For the find my iPhone, I am afraid that it is one of the requirements to make sure that the find my iPhone is off upon sending it to our warehouse since it may disqualify you for the promotion. To compensate it though, I can check with my supervisor if we can atleast provide the trade in credit value as a courtesy. However, I am afraid that we may no longer be able to apply the monthly credit.

2:35, Feb 25

Mihaina: Would you like to consider this option?

2:38, Feb 25

Mihaina: Also, upon checking here, it seems that one of the reason as well on why the account has been disqualified for the promotion is due to the plan you currently have, I am afraid that to be eligible for the promotion you may need to change to T-Mobile one plan as well.

2:39, Feb 25

You: Can you provide record of the person disqualifying as well of record trail of what happen to the iPhone 6. I'll accept the option you mention if it fully pays for the iPhone 7 that I am supposingly get as part of the trade in.

2:40, Feb 25

You: The pro,option was

2:40, Feb 25

You: The promotion was before the T-Mobile one requirement

2:42, Feb 25

Mihaina: Thank you so much for the very helpful information, Qing. Upon checking, I am afraid that I may not be able to provide the details stating for the disqualification, I really wish I could, however, I am afraid that it is only available on our end. I am afraid that what I can only associate with my supervisor is the $165 credit trade in value of the iPhone 6.

2:45, Feb 25

Mihaina: Believe me, I would really love to apply the credit that supposedly be on the account for trading in your iPhone 6, however, I am afraid that if all the requirements has not been met most specially if the find my iPhone has not been turn off properly, I am afraid that even if we have it escalated, the request will also be denied, Qing. We really are hoping for your kind understanding on this matter and I hope you can consider atleast the $165 credit to compensate for the trade in value amount of your iPhone 6.

• bdoan28

I have just called in again. This was my 6th call. I told her everything like I knew that she as the first level custome service can't handle these cases. I emphasized that I wanted to speak to her manager or higher level person. And she said that she knew how to solve these types of problems. So she wasted another 15 mins of my life, confirmed that I should have received the credits. If not, I would receive it the next bill. It's exactly the same as what the previous 5 representatives told me. So I escalated the situation a bit, and she did further stuff, told me that I will receive a call from higher level team by today, but I haven't heard anything.

Same thing happen when I contacted with the Facebook team last month, they said they had escalated my case, and I should receive within 7 business days, but it has been a month now.

Same as my 5th call. The representative said like she understood the problem and blame that propably the previous representatives didn't do their jobs properly. She acted like she was very responsible that she emailed to her boss about my situation. Then she told me to wait for a couple days, and then I should receive an answer from her boss, no matter the result is. However, 2 months till now, nothing happens.

So basically, they kinda took me go around, wasted my time and energy, and forced me to give up on a few hundred bucks. Yes I don't care about a few hundred bucks. But I mind if a big corporation like T Mobile can scam people, making false advertisement.

So if you going to file a case and want more people to join, let me know. btqdoan@gmail.com

• tylink

I've tried contacting customer service and requested to talk to someone from Loyalty department and was given only 165 dollars credit broken down 5 months for the missing trade in phone. I've asked for a supervisor and the person the phone stated that he will need to schedule a time for the supervisor to call back with a time and date I've provides and guess what? I never heard back from anyone from T-mobile. What is going on with this company and why are they scamming their customers with all these BS promotions? I've  advised all my friends and family to be careful with any Tmobile promo especially when paying for thing up front.  T-mobile.. are you reading this? We won't rest until you're taking out to court!!

• puser777

I had the same issue. I sent two phones - one iPhone 6 and another iPhone 5s back in October. However I did not saw any credit on the bill till January so finally called and was promised a call back after some research. Which never happened. I called again in February and the girl I spoke with guaranteed that the issue will be resolved and she will call me back within 5 days which never happened. Since then I called 2 more times each call being close to an hour but the issue still remains open. Each time a call back is being promised and which never happens. I doubt that T-mobile even knows what customer service is !

Did anyone on this post finally resolve the issue?

I am thinking to cancel the service. I am also thinking either to go to court or not to pay for the phones since technically one phone was promised to be free after the bill credits and another one $250 which has already been billed by now since currently I am paying for 2 phones every month.

Any suggestions ?

• tmo_mike_c

Oh that's a real pain knowing this hasn't gone that smoothly for you puser777. Calling as much as you have is no fun either, however we do need someone with account access to help sort this out. Were you sending phones back to redeem the iPhone 7 Trade-Up Offer? If so, you could Contact Us and reach out to our T-Force team through our social channels to take a peek at this further. They, like Customer Care, have account tools and can look into what happened with the trade-in. We don't want you to cancel, so I do hope you give us another shot before you make that decision.

• sabu.sam@gmail.com

Hi,

I am writing to you to get help with the below issue.

Back in November 2016,I was incorrectly told that as part of the black Friday deal, I can get a iphone 7 on entire phone credit for trade in of eligible smartphones and iphone 6S was one of it. So I set up the account and order for iphone7s for myself and my wife.

I receive the new iphones and I set up the new account. I also contact T mobile to help with the return of my 6S iphone and SAMSUNG phones. T-mobile customer care sends me a return label and I send the phones back. Below is the tracking number and the status.

I call back T mobile customer care and I was told that since I was not on T mobile One plan, I am not elligible for a complete credit of USD 650 ( value of iphone 7) however I can get a trade in value for the devices sent. The representative on the call arrived at an amount of USD 250 and USD50 ( if I remember correctly) as the trade in values.Luckily I had the boxes of the phone so I was able to provide the iphone 6S EMEI number and the SAMSUNG serial number to T-Mobile after the fact that I did not have the phones.I have waited enough and everytime I call, I get the response that they have escalated to the warehouse in order to track the devices and as on today still they have not tracked it. Today it has been more than 3 months and yet the devices have not been tracked.I just finished talking to Keianci. Emp:2045282. He says issue will be addressed but I have not seen any response yet.

Please help resolve this issue.

T-Mobile Handset Order Research Request

Handset Order Reference:  06903814

• tmo_mike_c

If this is the promo I think you're talking about, I believe some Simple Choice Unlimited plans also qualify to redeem this offer. It can also take 2 full billing cycles before you'll see the credits. My apologies about this, but since we don't have account access, it may be better to reach out to care again to get more updates on that request. Keep in mind you can also reach out to our excellent T-Force team through the social links on our Contact Us page. Whether you decide to call or contact us through social, I do hope you give us another chance to resolve this. Thank you.

• yanglu

It is a serious scam! It's beyond frustration! I have 5 lines and I traded in 5 iphone back to September last year.

I have not got full credit for 2 out of 5 and I have not got any credit for the rest of 3! I called customer care again and again more than 10 times and every time I was told everything looks fine, they got all 5 devices and I just need wait.Frustration!! Today I called again and I was told they could not identify one device! they could not do anything other than requesting warehouse to investigate. How could a device be missing in t-mobile after it's delivered several months ago! Beyond Frustration!! What is going on! T-mobile, what a disappointment!!! SCAM!!!

• philip.wong

Hi,

I'm having the same issues as everybody else.  I sent my iPhone 6 plus as trade-in for the iphone 7 promotion.  I received my iPhone 7 in early Oct., mailed my iPhone 6 Plus in the middle of October.  I've called every month since to see if they received my phone because I never received the trade in credit or the monthly credit.  Basically, every time I called I was assured everything was ok and I would have to wait 2-3 billling cycles to see the one-time credit and the monthly credit.  I called 611 every month, and heard the same thing, I was just looking for an acknowledgement that they received my phone.  The story changes every time I call 611, each representative tells me a different story.  One would say everything was okay, they talk to their supervisor, made a note and promised I would receive my credit next month(never did happen).  I called again and filled out a handset research form, they said to back in 1 1/2 weeks.  I call back in 2 weeks and they say it's still pending, they said I only provided the IMEI number, and they needed tracking number.  They said they would give me a call back in 3 days with the results (they never called back).  I call 611 again, they said  they have no record of my last handset research form and I would have to fill out another one, I'm wary, but I give them the IMEI number and tracking # from the shipping label, they promise to call me back in 3 days (they never call).  So I've basically done 2 handset research forms and 0 results and no call back when they promised they would.

I don't know what to do anymore, it's been about 5 months and still no credit.  I feel like I've been scammed out of my trade-in. There doesn't seem to be any point in calling 611 any more, each time I call they have no record of the previous call or handset research form, and they never call me back when they promise.  Please do something!!  I'm not sure what recourse I have left at this point, file a Better Business Bureau complaint?

• cattrang

Welcome to the club.

Your case likely will not resolved anytime soon, I have been call them twice every month since October until now. The best part is you got to talk with new representative every time and re-explain every time (Imagine that x 5 to 10) Just the sweet rush of frustrations for 5 months (that half a year) been a customer for the last 10-12 year.

• domico01

I returned my Iphone 5c to preordered the Iphone 7 in October. Same story as everyone else with countless hours on the phone with no credit. Please let me know if anyone has received there credit yet.

• adriana6age96

Same issue here too, traded in my iphone 6 and my son traded on his iphone 5 and we're finally told that we did not receive credits because of the Find My iPhone tag, all these months and phone calls not once did we receive a notification about the issue nor did the rep tell us nor was there any mention of the Find My iPhone on the instructions when sending in the phones.

Now T-Mobile is saying oh well!!! You take our phones with promises of credits, then blame a technicality and not only do you keep our phones but also provide no credits what a scam!!

I was with Sprint for over 10 years, switched to T-Moble for better service and plan options, but basically it seems like it was just a big scam.

• magenta2055612

I am in the exact same boat. I traded in 3 iPhone 6's to upgrade to the 7's and only one got processed successfully as a trade in. Their excuses were that couldn't verify receiving one of the phones and the other had water damage. I clearly made sure to ship the phones out in the same box the 7's were shipped in and also verified phones were in excellent condition. T-Mobile has really pissed me off with this entire ordeal.

• db2016

Same boat as everyone.  I've called almost every month since trying to get this fixed.  Their website states "The mechanics are simple – when you trade in your current iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s or 6s Plus, you’ll see a monthly credit on your T-Mobile bill. After 24 months, you’ll have paid nothing and will owe nothing on your iPhone 7 32GB."  I have paid every month for these phones.  I sent them in 3 perfectly working iphones (6, 6s, 6plus).  They said one was locked.  I confirmed with Apple it wasn't.  I told them send me the phone back if you aren't giving me credit (back in November) they ended up crediting me for the phone, but they still have never honored the deal to pay for all of my phones.  I have emails, twitter chats, phone calls all showing their inability to stand by their own deal.  Please just make this right.  I don't want to end up going to Small claims court to get this resolved.  I just want them to do the right thing. 

Obviously I'm not alone.