abc1230

For some reason I get different kind of signal strength at the same location, and at the same exact spot in that location.

For example, I'm at home in the living room, and 1 of the bathrooms. Sometimes I would get 1 bar with bad signal and slow data, or sometimes I'll get 3-4 bars which would be good signal and normal data speeds. Also, sometimes(it doesn't happen often anymore) I would lose 4G LTE and only have 4G. When that happens I would not be able to use the data at all, or the connection would struggle to even connect a phone call. But I have home internet and Wi-Fi, so I'm always connected to the Wi-Fi and don't have to worry about these issues with the data. It seems like when I'm connected to Wi-Fi(not using Wi-Fi calling), it helps me still being able to make a call without having the connection issues.  Also, it wouldn't matter what time of day it is, or how the weather is outside, it's just completely random.

Something like this also happens at a good friend of mine's house. Then rarely a few times, this also happened at my office. But the main place and where it happens often is at home.

Does anyone know why this occurs? Also what can I do to prevent this from happening? and have a steady signal?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Different signal in the same spot?

Hey abc1230!  This is always kind of a creepy situation - you're not moving, but when you're looking at your phone it seems like maybe the tower is.  I promise it didn't sprout cartoon legs and head to Happy Hour!  There are a few possible explanations. 

Signal strength can fluctuate due to weather, software, building structure, or proximity to a tower.  Also you can see signal shift when your equipment automatically switches from one tower to another, which can happen even when you're sitting still depending on network conditions.  Lastly, signal strength can be impacted by network congestion.  If this were only happening when it were raining, then we'd have an obvious cause.  If it were limited to just one area - your home, for example - I'd think that you might be situated between two towers duking it out for your phone's attention. Since you're seeing this happen in multiple places - your home, your friend's home, and your office, I feel like congestion in your area is more likely to be the culprit.  If you're not connected to Wi-Fi, how are your speeds?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Re: Different signal in the same spot?

Happy Tuesday abc1230!  I wanted to stop by and see if you'd had any luck determining any rhyme or reason for this signal fluctuation.  Do any of the possible explanations seem like they could apply here? 

- Marissa