kluther89

When I first signed up with T-Mobile, they told me about the Jump! On Demand, explained what it was, etc. They told me all it takes is a credit check to see if I am eligible, in which I was. Fast forward to 14 months down the line (4 months left for my lease) and I find out there is a manufacturer defect with my phone (LG V10) that could cause the phone to no longer pass the LG screen. My father had the same phone and just a few days ago his encountered said defect. I decided it was time to upgrade so I didn't risk encountering this defect and being stuck without a phone for X amount of time and went in to upgrade. Next thing I know I am being told that I would have to make over $200 down payment for each device (2 of them are on my plan). Apparently my credit isn't "good enough" to be eligible for $0 down.

My questions are: What is the point of doing a credit check to see if you're eligible for the program, and then doing another credit check at time of upgrade? If I make all of my lease payments on time for my current phone then why do I have to have a credit check run to see if I am a "good customer", especially after already having been told I am eligible to be on the program? Makes no sense. This should be based on how good of a customer you are with T-Mobile, not everything in general, because everyone knows if one thing goes wrong your credit can go out of whack (which was exactly the case with me).

All replies

• conzo

Re: Why multiple credit checks for JOD?

T-Mobile only runs one credit check and that's when you first set up the account. They assign you a credit "class" which decides what you have to put down on phones. There's no need to run a credit check for an upgrade as you have already been assigned a credit class. T-Mobile also has a program called 0 down for all where if you pay your bill on time for 12 consecutive months you'll be eligible for 0 down on most phones, excluding higher GB iPhones, and Samsungs which will have a down payment for all customers.

Here's a link to the Smartphone Equality promotion that you should look into.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • kluther89

I joined T-Mobile in Jan 2016 (Not Nov 2015 as I initially thought). 3 months after the LG V10 was released. I believe around that time it was the same price as the LG V20 is now. At that time I paid $74 down total for 2 of the phones. They also ran a credit check to see if I was eligible to be a JOD customer, in which I was. LG V20 came out end of October 2016. So I am basically looking to upgrade at basically same time. How come the down payment jumped up over $150 for basically the same priced phone, at same age?

So basically I am now stuck with a phone that one day can eventually become a paperweight without notice. What is going to happen IF the phone does last my remaining 6 payments? If I choose to upgrade to a new phone am I going to have to put money down again? Because at that point I'm stuck either buying out the phone, or upgrading.

I was looking to upgrade because my phone is kind of my source for multiple aspects of my jobs. In other words, going even a day without my phone will severely interrupt my work. Not to mention, I'd rather not continue paying on a device that could one day just stop working due to a manufacturer defect. Which also brings the question of why wasn't there a recall?

• miket

Slightly off topic-

My LG4 suddenly died after 15 months.  Called LG, they emailed fedex label., took pkg. to fed ex,  about a week later got working phone back.  Learned later that LG4 motherbards had a flaw - maybe same as yours.  Didn't cost me anything other than aggravation.  Of course you'd have to see IF it fails. 

I didn't know this was a gneral defect and thought if they were going to tell me it would cost $$$ to fix, I'd forget it. 

Have your father contact LG.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • kluther89

Well he already went through that whole process. He went like, 3 days without a phone waiting for the new one to come in (something I would not be able to do). If this thing dies on me, I will NOT get another LG V10. It's like saying "Oh it broke? Here let me give you another one that will break at some point in time without any notice. That should make things all better." No.

My issue with it is, I'm now paying on a device that at any point in time could just stop working completely for a KNOWN issue. If I'm paying on the product, I expect it to be working as should for a significant amount of time. It's not like I'm paying on an "as is" product, this thing was brand new. So was my dad's. His lasted just under a year. If my phone suffers that same fate I will not be happy. As soon as it was discovered that the phone has a defect, the manufacturer should have contacted providers, and the providers should have contacted the customers. I understand some things can go unforeseen in initial testing, but generally when a major issue such as this comes up, there is a lot more communication between consumer/provider/manufacturer. Better things should have been put in place to remedy the issue, mainly getting the phones off the market and allowing people to switch to a new phone without any issues or more money spent.

• tmo_marissa

Hey kluther89.  As a V10 user, I appreciate your worry about a boot loop.  I don't think that it's inevitable that every device will experience one - but I get that once you hear about them, it's hard to trust your phone.  I know you're aware that we honor the manufacturer's warranty with a replacement program of our own during the first year, or longer if you're carrying insurance, but I can understand why you might want to switch out in case you encounter this issue.   

We only complete a full credit check once, when you initiate service, but there may be additional updates that aren't a hard inquiry.  I know another user mentioned this, but through $0 Down For All, "Well-Qualified" credit standing (which can still mean a little bit of a down payment sometimes, but the lowest possible) is based on your record with us.  Depending on your tenure (when you first got this phone in January of last year, was that when you initiated service, or were you already a customer?) and the number of consecutive months you've had timely payments (based on your original post it sounds like all of them!) you may be a perfect candidate for that program. 

- Marissa