Digits confusion

rherteux

I'm a little confused about how Digits is supposed to work.  Received my duplicate sim today and installed in an old iPhone I had laying around.  I signed up for the multiple devices 1 number plan.   My main number starts with 952, my duplicate starts with 239.  Loaded the Digits app, turned the "Line State" on for my main line, and rebooted the phone.  Texted a friend of mine on my old iPhone and he said it came through as my 952 number, great!  Texted my daughter from my old iPhone with the duplicate sim and she said it came through as my 239 duplicate number.  Not great.  Texted her from the Digits app on that old phone and my text came through as if from my 952 number.  But her reply didn't go to my old iPhone with the duplicate sim, it only went to my main phone with the non duplicate sim.  Am I missing something?

All replies

• cribbins

Re: Digits confusion

All texts are supposed to show as coming from the main 952 line.

All incoming texts to the 952 should show up on both phones.

• tmo_kendra

Hello rherteux thank you for reaching out and participating in DIGITS. Does your daughter have an Iphone as well? If so, do you know if you were sending through Imessage? (Blue or Green) Lets turn off the Imessage on your old Iphone and test it again. Also, If you have your old Iphone connected to WI-FI, it may also show sending from your 239 duplicate line. Let's disable that if you have it turned on. Let me know if that works! Thanks

• rherteux

Yes, my daughter has an iPhone and her messages are coming through blue, so iMessage.  I'll try turning that off (as well as wifi) and see if that makes a difference.  I think she's sick of me asking "what area code is this message coming from" but I put her through college so hey, fair is fair.    BTW, when I texted my buddy and he said it came through with the proper area code he's on a Samsung so there may be something to that.

• azdreamscape

Something I'm noticing is that you're (apparently) using the duplicate SIM in a phone that can use the DIGITS app.

Am I correct there?

As I understand it, the duplicate SIM is mainly for use in a phone that can't use the app, so having both on there might be confusing the system?

Try removing the DIGITS app from the phone, and rely on the SIM to provide the line duplication.

Can't hurt, and it might solve the issue.

• rherteux

I don't think it's the app since it wasn't working right before I loaded the app...I just loaded the app to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.  Interestingly though, I loaded the app on my old iPhone and I saw it show up on my new iPhone as well.  I didn't think they synced apps like that.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello rherteux

I just wanted to quickly check if shutting off iMessage helped.

At the same time, iOS devices can sync apps depending on your settings as long as they are signed into the same Apple ID.

• tmo_evan

rherteux

tmo_marissa

Sorry that this isn't working consistently as it should be.  The next time it happens can you please make sure that one of the forum admins get the details from you?  This way they can file a bug and engineering team can look at it.

Also there is no need for the DIGITS application on a phone that has a duplicate SIM in it.  This can generate a couple of issues, but aren't the ones that you're seeing at the moment.

Finally if it's an old iPhone, please make sure to turn of iMessage on it and you can even go to a website from Apple to make sure it pulls the number of the accounting number out of the iMessage platform (don't have the URL off hand, but it's a pretty easy search).

• rherteux

Thanks everybody!  It looks like turning off iMessage fixed the issue.  Just a suggestion but I think this should be in the beta user guide and the FAQ.  Will this always be the case or is this something T-Mobile is working on?  Is this only an issue with older iPhones (in this case a 5S) or will this be the case on any iPhone?

• tmo_tim_b

Hello rherteux

We did make sure this got into our FAQs (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33764#question10). At the same time, the overall iMessage issue is currently with any iOS device. I don't have any information stating only older iPhones are impacted by this.

• rherteux

I did read the FAQ and maybe I misunderstood.  The FAQ refers to iMessages not syncing across devices.  The issue I was experiencing was slightly different.  Not only were my messages not syncing but they appeared to be coming from my duplicate number when using my duplicate device which I think is a more serious issue which can lead to lots of confusion on the part of recipients using iPhones.

• tmo_tim_b

I want to make sure we have the FAQs correct, so just to be clear did turning off iMessage resolve the caller ID aspect of this as well? We have had some caller ID issues with DIGITs that we have been working, but if turning off iMessage resolved it for this case, then I would say that's a symptom of the syncing issue.