thebub1967

We set up a personal cellspot at my place of work so we don't have to use the company wifi.  When checking the wifi stats, the cellspot is using wifi for data and we were told it wouldn't.  What can we do to stop it from accessing the company internet?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Wifi use

Hey there thebub1967.

I was looking at the 4G LTE CellSpot overview and one of the requirements to use this device is to have internet access. Essentially, it will need data in order for it to work. Even when it's sitting idle, it'll use a very small amount of internet.

• thebub1967

I'm looking at the stats and it has used 1.2 GB in the last 6 hours.  That's a significant amount here

• tmo_mike_c

Have you had multiple devices connected and using the service at the same time over the last 6 hours? If so, it could be recording that usage. Keep in mind, the data used by those devices will be equivalent to the data used through your work ISP, so that could be what's reflecting in the stats.

• thebub1967

Ok, that makes sense but it's not what we want here.  We have multiple devices using that signal.  We want the LTE signal booster appliance so that the multiple devices can access a cell signal, not the wifi. 

• tmo_mike_c

I understand. It's possible that could work out better for you. If you get some signal near a window, that booster will help push that inside your work area. Just so you have clear expectations, it's not like the Cellspot mini tower that requires internet.

• thebub1967

No offense, but it doesn't work out better for us.  It takes up too much bandwidth.  Our employee specifically asked for the appliance that boosts the cell signal and bypasses the wifi altogether.  I personally have one and it does not connect to the internet at all.  It's two boxes that just plug into an electrical outlet.  Do you offer that any more?