Windows app v Chrome or Firefox

pedrotex

To people who have used the Windows (64) app:Do you find it more or less stable than Chrome or Firefox, especially in terms of needing to reload contacts from Google, and staying connected between sessions or in the background ? Thanks.

All replies

• rustyg

Re: Windows app v Chrome or Firefox

I am using the app in both FF and GC on W10/64. My app constantly gets "disconnected" somehow. I am not sure if this is an issue with no activity on the webpage and me having to re-login again or what, but that part is annoying.

Also, the contacts feature to add Google Contacts/Exchange contacts isn't staying on.

I am not sure if this a security feature of GC where it may not allow cookies or something for it to stay in the browser or what, but i have to constantly add my contacts back in.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello pedrotex and rustyg

We are definitely aware of these issues. We've had quite a few question similar to this one (for both the disconnect and the contacts). We've been told more information is coming about the disconnect issues, but we don't have timeline on that yet. In the meantime, I'd like to know if either of you are connecting behind a firewall? I agree the contacts issue is likely a Google security feature (as that seems to happen to everyone whereas the disconnect issue is not happening to everyone), but I'm passing this information along as well.

Thank you!

• adobopete

From my experience Firefox and Windows app seem to be quite stable.  Chrome always disconnects and I have to re-register multiple times.

• rustyg

I have the app now, and I assume it is because I put my computer in "sleep" mode overnight, it lost my google account again.

• rustyg

I am not sure if it is a timeout issue, a firewall issue or what, but it still doesn't retain my google account connected to the app on my W10 x64 machine either!

• tmo_tim_b

Hello rustyg

This is actually a very common issue and one I believe to be a Google security issue. It is something of which we are aware and working to address, but I have yet to see the Google contact information stay on any device/computer regardless of browser or app. If you upload your contacts to the DIGITs cloud, you can then use these without loss. The user guide Get started guide: DIGITS beta shows you how to upload your device contacts to the cloud.

Hope that helps in the meantime!

• rustyg

Within the Windows App, is there a way to clear the notifications within the app without having to reload the app?

I press reload and it clears the notifications, but it basically clears out my login and I have to relogin, and do my contacts again.

• rustyg

When texting from the Windows App, I can see the texts on both sides come in (Phone/Device and my Windows PC/App). But when i reply in the WA, they don't get synced to my phone, so then if I go away from my PC, i don't have the full conversation that I may have been having in the WA.
                      BUT.. if I text from phone phone/device, it syncs up with the WA and I can see both sides...

• rustyg

I have found a USB Logitech HD Pro C920 issue with the way it communicates with certain apps and I find it to be random at best.

This camera's mic, seems to have issues sometimes when loading the mic, and causes me to sound "digitized" and it just happened in the Tmobile Windows App, but when i swapped to FB messenger it was fine.

I did the same thing a few days ago in the web.voxer.com and it was giving me that "robot" "digitized" voice, so I am not sure if it is the USB drivers or what..

So always use a good mic only! I have an H4n and an H6 I could use.. but those are meant more for my audio stuff, but they can be swapped in. I assume my laptop also could be used with the internal webcam, but I dock my laptop and shut the lid, so that doesn't work the way it normally would.

Just thought I would share!