Question regarding S2 and bluetooth

ransomv

I understand that for DIGITS purposes we shouldn't have a connection from our S2 to our phone.

That being said, I want to use Bluetooth headphones paired with my watch to make/receive phone calls, listen to music, etc.

Is there some way to turn Bluetooth on for my S2, allow it to pair with my headphones, but NOT pair with my phone?

Also, I am new to S2, so I will need to connect to my phone now and again to do setup related tasks.

All replies

• tmo_tim_b

Re: Question regarding S2 and bluetooth

Hello ransomv

I ran this by one of my peers to make sure I was thinking correctly. The best way to set it up so that you can pair it with your headphones and not the phone is either from initial set-up or after a master reset and putting the S2 in stand alone mode. You shouldn't need to connect the device to the phone after that. The issue is that if you establishing pairing with the phone (for setup related task) after that, the only way to remove that pairing is to master reset the S2 - which defeats the purpose of connecting it in the first place.

Please let me know if that helps or if we need to get further clarification for you on this. Thank you so much.

• ransomv

I think I just found something better.

FYI:

If you unpair the bluetooth connection from the S2, it will wipe out the configuration. The Apps, Notices, etc. all get reset to factory settings.

Unpairing the bluetooth connection from the phone doesn't wipe out the configuration, but you have to go through the process of re-pairing the bluetooth devices.

Easy Answer:

1. Open the Gear app on the phone.
            2. Scroll down and select "Gear connection"
            3. At the top, turn off the Gear connection.

This disconnects the phone from the S2, but leaves the bluetooth pairing in place.

Then, you can go to the same place and turn the Gear connection back on when you want to make adjustments to the S2 configuration.

I also did the following, but I'm not sure it is necessary:

1. Open the Gear app on the phone.
            2. Scroll down and select "Auto call forwarding"
            3. At the top, turn off the Auto call forwarding.

(I intend to check what happens if this is all I do, but I'm still waiting for my S2 to be enabled with DIGITS.)

• tmo_tim_b

Hello ransomv

I'm glad you found a better option! Please let us know how that goes. At the same time, you stated last that you were still waiting for your S2 to be enabled. Has that been completed by now?

• ransomv

The original e-mail I got said 48 hours, but I called DIGITS support and they told me 5-7 days, so I have a while to go.

• azdreamscape

My S3 activation went through in just a few hours, so I don't think you'll need to wait days...I hope not!

I did have a similar situation with the Bluetooth, though.

While I'm not likely to use Bluetooth for music from either device (I use a tablet for that), I do prefer a headset when I know I'll be making a call.

I might make a call from the watch, I might make a call from my phone.

I decided that turning Bluetooth off for the device I didn't want to use the headset with was a viable option, since that 'breaks' the phone/watch connection (Actually, it doesn't. The watch and phone stay connected via WIFI or mobile data). Probably a good battery-saving choice as well, especially on the watch.

• tmo_tim_b

Hopefully it doesn't take that long, but once you do get it, please let us know how it works out for you!

Thank you so much.

• ransomv

Thanks to tmo_tim_b for helping to get my S2 hooked up!

In order for the S2 watch to work correctly with digits, it needs to be in standalone mode. From what I have read here, the recommended way to do this is to basically reset the watch and set it up from scratch without connecting it to another device.

However, (In My Humble Opinion) it is SOOO much easier to set the watch up using a phone. I have set up my Gear S2 and tested DIGITS and it works! Here is what I have done:

Setting up a Gear S2 using a phone (E.G. Galaxy S7):

1. Open the Gear app on the phone, connect to the watch, and set it up. (Refer to Gear docs for specifics.)
                          2. When you are done, in the Gear app, go to the main page, scroll down and select "Gear connection"
                          3. At the top, turn off the Gear connection.

To verify the Gear S2 is in standalong mode:

1. On the Gear S2, go to the main watch face.
                          2. Swipe from top to bottom.
                            • If it says "Standalone" the S2 is in stand-alone mode and DIGITS should work.
                            • If it says something like "Connected via Bluetooth" the S2 is NOT in stand-alone mode and DIGITS won't work.

To modify Gear S2 settings using the phone:

1. Open up the Gear app on the phone.
                          2. Towards the top look for the prompt "Disconnected from Gear" and click the "Connect" link next to it.
                          3. Using the Gear app, make the changes you desire.
                          4. When you are done, go to the main page, scroll down and select "Gear connection"
                          5. At the top, turn off the Gear connection.

Notes:

• You can use the Gear S2 to unpair the bluetooth connection from the phone and put the S2 in stand-alone mode. Unfortunately, when you do this it will wipe out the configuration on the S2. The Watch face, Apps, Notices, etc. all get reset to factory settings.
                          • Conversely, you can use your phone to Unpairing the bluetooth connection from the Gear S2, leaving the S2 in stand-along mode. This does NOT wipe out the configuration! But, if you want to modify the S2's configuration at a later date, you have to go through the process of re-pairing the devices.
                          • Changing the "Auto call forwarding" setting, via the phone or the Gear S2, does NOT put the Gear S2 into stand-alone mode.
                            • azdreamscape

ransomv wrote:

Notes:

• You can use the Gear S2 to unpair the bluetooth connection from the phone and put the S2 in stand-alone mode. Unfortunately, when you do this it will wipe out the configuration on the S2. The Watch face, Apps, Notices, etc. all get reset to factory settings.
                              • Conversely, you can use your phone to Unpairing the bluetooth connection from the Gear S2, leaving the S2 in stand-along mode. This does NOT wipe out the configuration! But, if you want to modify the S2's configuration at a later date, you have to go through the process of re-pairing the devices.
                              • Changing the "Auto call forwarding" setting, via the phone or the Gear S2, does NOT put the Gear S2 into stand-alone mode.

WOW! I guess I'm really lucky I went for the S3, and not the S2 as I was considering! Total reset or re-pairing is too much BS!

I was considering getting the wife an S2 due to the smaller size, but no way with this news.

• ransomv

The Notes section basically was the bad news. The good news is in the sections above. It is quite simple to use your phone to configure your watch, then disconnect it so the watch will be in standalone mode and DIGITS works great!

• azdreamscape

Understood.

The thing is the differences between the devices, I guess.

If I disconnect the S3, it's completely disconnected from the phone.

If I just turn off Bluetooth, the watch and phone stay remotely connected via WIFI or data (since I chose that seting).

I'm not sure what the ramifications are either way, but somehow it seems better for for them to remain remotely connected.

• tidbits

You can pair headphones to you watch. I do it all the time when I decide not to take my phone out.