Nexus 6 and Nougat 7.1.1

repomanz

T-Mobile.

When will i bet getting the OTA release of 7.1.1 on my Nexus 6?  Now that google has released this officially for the Nexus 6 the ball is now in T-Mobile's court.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Nexus 6 and Nougat 7.1.1

The updates are not released for everyone all at the same time. This phone doesn't have unique builds anymore so you should be on the sand release chain and be able to get this update. Tmo doesn't manage the releases anymore from my understanding.

• repomanz

Well google has already released the nexus 6 7.1.1 image but I think (assume) that T-Mobile has to add a few items to it before it can be pushed OTA specifically by t-mobile.  One item, t-mobile wifi calling app as example.

Jon

• tmo_mike_c

Hey repomanz.

We don't have any word on this one getting that software update. We do have a list of devices on our Software updates but this one isn't there. You can keep an eye on the Nexus 6 software page and the Software update link I posted as those will be the best source for what info we do have.

• jdashn

Kinda seems like this was the same answer given to the same question raised when Google released 7.0 a few months ago (almost exact wording makes me think it's a 'canned' answer). I believe that the 'Correct' Answer to this question is this:

T-Mobile no longer sells this phone. The phone is no longer made. T-Mobile has ZERO desire to modify and push an update to phones they'd rather their customers just not use (they'd certainly prefer you just buy a new phone, no cost for staff time on their end, and they gain the revenue off your purchase).

--

I suspect the community managers are not allowed to say things like this, and are only allowed to tell us that 'it will happen soon i think' or 'I've not seen any news regarding that update'.. never committing to speak with the people who make the decisions to find out WHY it's not been done yet, and if it will be done. I imagine the two departments (Customer service and Dev/sysadmin) are so compartmentalized that they CANT talk to each other (maybe even two separate companies, like the airlines do).

tmo_mike_c tmo_marissa

Are you able to communicate with the staff who preforms the testing to see if there are plans to do so? Having us perpetually keep our eyes on the update spot potentially forever may not be the best solution, nor a good answer to the actual question.

This is why most of my co-workers have already moved from Tmobile to GoogleFI - even when they loose their corporate discounts. I just wish there was a way to get Tmobile to push the updates so i didn't have to contemplate the same move, or at least know the answer either way.

Jdashn

• tidbits

There is no modifications needed. If you really want the update unlock the boot loader and flash it. The whole carrier testing is a facade with Google.

• jdashn

So you're thinking all the carrier specific features like wifi calling are going to work if i just side load the 7.1.1 (N6F26R) image, or should I load up the N6F26Q image, or should i load up one of the 7.0.0 images instead? No issues with service what-so-ever? I would assume if this were the case T-Mobile would just click the button saying 'approved for nougat' and the update would then be allowed to be pushed to my phone.

So really it seems that either you're right Tidbits, and there is no barrier other than T-Mobile not wanting to push the update to our phones because they don't want us to use them, and would rather we update than spend the moment it would take to 'flip the switch'/'push the button'.. saying a lot about their customer service if so .. OR .. it's a Technical issue and there IS some small/large reason they're holding back on allowing it .. meaning it would be unwise to manually update.

Which brings me back to my question ... Which is it? and is the Customer Service staff here able to answer that?

Thanks!!

Jdashn

• rbob

I don't think the fact that T-Mobile no longer sells the Nexus 6 is behind the lack of updates. I'm using a Google Pixel, which T-Mobile has never sold, but I get regular OS updates just the same. The Google story is that all OTA updates for Nexus and other Googlephones come directly from Google, even the old T-Mobile-specific versions.

I'm sure that someone at Google knows exactly what's going on, and maybe someone at T-Mobile does too. Neither of them hang out here though.