Please read:  Duplicate SIM issues megathread

tmo_evan

All -

First off, I want to thank everyone for their patience with the beta and this particular issue. The team has been working hard to record a bunch of issues that some of you are having with the Duplicate SIMs.  We're sorry that it's not working for everyone as it is supposed to and has been taking us some time to fix this, and thus I'm creating this thread so that a) everyone knows we're working on it, b) to describe what should be happening and c) for people to report in so that the forum moderators can collect all of the information so we can work on getting it repaired.

The experience you should be seeing if you're using the Duplicate SIM in another phone (duplicate phone):

• Calls from either the duplicate phone or primary phone should have the same numbers (that of the primary phone).
    • Calls to your primary number should ring both the primary phone and duplicate phone
    • Texts from either the duplicate phone or primary phone should have the same number (that of the primary phone)
    • Text to your primary number should be delivered to both your primary phone and duplicate phone
    • Note 1: When you text from the duplicate phone, the primary phone (unless it has DIGITS functionality built-in - e.g. Samsung S6 or S7) will not have your outbound texts AND text messages read on one device will still be marked as unread on other
    • Note 2: There is no call log synchronization between the primary and duplicate devices.

The experience you should be seeing if you're using the Duplicate SIM in a Gear S2 or Gear S3:

Note:  The team recommends using the Gear S2/S3 in standalone mode and not actively connecting to the watch.  When/if you do connect it via bluetooth, we recommend turning off notifications for all phone functions (messages, calls, voicemail as well as making sure that auto-forwarding is turned off).  We also recommend keeping on the cellular radio all the time.

• When the Gear S2/3 is not connected via bluetooth then the experience listed above should be the same as if it was another phone.
    • When it is connected via bluetooth, the gear will act as an accessory for the phone and not in an independent fashion.  In this manner, calls and texts from the watch will send from the device it is paired with (regardless of whether or not that is the number it is duplicating).
    • When you disconnect from bluetooth and auto on/off for cellular radio is still being used, you will get a large number of text messages when you have disconnected from the phone.  This is a result of messages being queued up from the network to be delivered natively to the watch. 

Some of the issues that a few people have reported that we're working on:

• Calls from duplicate SIM are coming from the accounting number rather than the primary DIGITS
    • Texts from duplicate SIM are coming from the accounting number rather than the primary DIGITS
    • Calls to primary DIGITS are not ringing through to device with the duplicate SIM
    • Texts to primary DIGITS are not being delivered to device with duplicate SIM
    • Texts to primary DIGITS are being delivered however the sender is getting a message from the account number indicating that the recipient can't accept texts
    • Device with the duplicate SIM was working properly as described above but all of the sudden came unpaired. 

So if the experience isn't working for you as I've described it here and you've been having an issue with it (either one that I've listed here or another one) AND the forum moderators haven't reached out to you in the last week to get more details from you, please let us know so that the forum moderators can get the proper information.

Thank you!

The DIGITS beta team

All replies

• azdreamscape

Thanks, Evan, for the major clarifications!

I do have one additional grey area I need cleared up, it appears I have a unique situation:

You posted:

evanmf wrote:

• When it is connected via bluetooth, the gear will act as an accessory for the phone and not in an independent fashion.  In this manner, calls and texts from the watch will send from the device it is paired with (regardless of whether or not that is the number it is duplicating).

If I understand correctly, the watch (S3) would revert to it's duplicated number if it was out of range of the phone it was paired with (work number, different number than my main number). And would again start using the number of the paired (work) phone when that phone was within range again?

Would the watch get calls and texts from the paired phone's number if that phone were out of range?

• tmo_evan

azdreamscape No.  When the watch is out of range of the phone, it will only act with the primary set of DIGITS in your case where it is also paired with another number, it should not get the calls or text when out of range with the work number.  However if you have 'remote connection' enabled and have SMS notifications showing then you may get the texts and depending on what the Samsung software is doing it may route that sms back to the phone.  Calls would only show up if you have call forwarding enabled, but in either case having these items enabled will run into other oddities and isn't really recommended.

• bunk

Re: Please read:  Duplicate SIM issues megathread

so are u saying i should have remote connection and bluetooth turned of in the gear app. how would i get notifications for my other apps

• tmo_evan

Re: Please read:  Duplicate SIM issues megathread

bunk  What I do is turn off notifications for the phone, sms and voicemail and then I use the remote connection functionality for getting some of the other notifications such as some of the apps (like email).  You can always pair it with bluetooth when you want to update the watch OR you can leave bluetooth on and let the watch and phone pair, just be aware that you are going to get a bunch of text notifications on your watch that will be old if you use the auto on/off for cellular.  If you leave cellular on all the time, than the experience is a bit better.

It's all a matter of taste in terms of which limitations you want to live with, getting duplicate messages, slightly shorter battery life, etc.

• jameskk1

I am having issues with not receiving incoming calls on my duplicate SIM. Outgoing calls, txt, data work fine.

Please reach out to me on this so that I can get it working again ASAP.

Thanks

• casualobserver89

Problem: All data is being recorded as Hotspot Usage when using duplicate SIM in T-Mobile branded phone.

Observation 1: When I put my primary SIM in my T-Mobile branded phone, all data usage is properly allocated between phone data and tethering. When I put my DIGITS SIM card into an AT&T branded phone, all data usage is allocated properly. Tethering data is only increased when I actually turn my phone into a Hotspot.

Observation 2: When I put my primary SIM into my AT&T branded phone, all data usage is allocated properly between phone data and tethering. However, when I put my DIGITS SIM into a T-Mobile branded phone,  ALL data is allocated as tethering usage. I downloaded a 200MB file from Chrome and watched 200MB worth of video on YouTube. When I looked on the T-Mobile App,  my tethering usage increased by 400MB