DIGITS sim card on iPad

rpanchapagesan

I normally use my DIGITS sim card on a non-smart phone, but got curious on a Sunday afternoon. I inserted the SIM card into an unlocked iPad, switched off the wi-fi and tried to use data. It worked very well. T-Mobile LTE was at its best, and I was / am very happy with that. I tried having my wife called my number (primary SIM is on a iPhone now, and Digits SIM is on iPad); unfortunately this did not work. On my iPad, it was not ringing at all (and I expected it this way), whereas my iPhone it was ringing, but the screen was flickering between a normal incoming call and user busy error message screen. When I picked the call, I could not hear anything. This is not good. This begs a very basic question -- is a Digits SIM allowed to share the data as well with the primary number? My original understanding was DIGITS is meant for sharing voice and texts only. I don't remember where I read this, and I would ideally like to be wrong, and have a means to share the data as well, without compromising voice and texts on the primary phone. Is that possible?!

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: DIGITS sim card on iPad

The duplicate SIM card isn't meant to work in tablets.  It may in some instance work and provide data (though you'll find going forward that data won't be available in a tablet with this sim).

That said, you're iPad doesn't have a native dialer - it uses the facetime dialer when it's performing the "continuity" functionality, thus even it can't get phone calls natively.

So in this case 1 of 2 things is happening, either because the duplicate SIM is the tablet, the network could be getting confused OR you have calling on other devices (continuity) enabled between your iPhone and iPad.

• tmo_mike_c

Re: DIGITS sim card on iPad

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!