Smart watch support?

ransomv

I see people are using DIGITS on smart watches. I am considering getting a smart watch. What should I take into consideration?

Note: I would only consider an Android compatible watch.

For example:

1. Is there a specific list of supported devices, or will pretty mu
    2. Should I get one that allows me to insert a SIM or would one with a built-in SIM be good enough?
    3. Can I use the "virtual" phone number for it, or do I need to get  a new data line for it?
    4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks all!

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: Smart watch support?

The recommendation is the Samsung Gear S2 or Gear S3 with the cellular radio.  Both of these devices need to be purchased either from T-Mobile or you need to make sure that you're buying the T-Mobile sku since they have an integrated SIM card for accessing the cellular network.

In this fashion, these watches will allow you to have your texts and calls with you without needing to bring along your phone.

• ransomv

OK. Let's say I acquire a used S2. What is my next step?

Do I need  to pay for a line for it?

How do I get DIGITS onto it, or is it already there?

How do I get it to take phone calls for my cell (S7)?

• tmo_evan

Easiest thing to do is to register for the beta and select the scenario to use one number on multiple devices, pick the Gear S2 and enter in the ICCID number from the watch.

Also select the number that you want to duplicate as the phone number of your S7.

• dshrum84

You'll need a wearable line set up for it.  Mine is $10/month.

Digits should be integrated into the latest OS version for the S2.  You'll need to select one number on multiple devices and then T-Mo will "activate" Digits on your watch.

Without digits, you can answer calls to your phone on your watch while the two are connected by Bluetooth.  You can switch the call from one to the other with the source selection mechanic on your phone dialer.

With digits, your watch and your phone will both receive texts and calls to your phone number.  You should still be able to switch a call from one to the other with icons on the device you're currently using.

If you do get a watch and use Digits, I recommend not keeping your watch and phone connected by Bluetooth, though it's helpful to sync S Health and some other data every few days.  Let them connect remotely through the network and 1) your battery life will be better on both and 2) you'll avoid double notifications on the watch from it getting both the phone's (via BT) and it's own (via Digits) notifications for the same texts/calls.

• bunk

so are u saying to turn off the bluetooth on the watch or unpair it from the phone all together wouldnt you lose the samsung gear connectivity if you unpair it

• dshrum84

Don't unpair it, just don't leave the BT connection on all the time. I let SHealth and such sync every morning but the watch and phone are usually connected remotely.

You would lose everything if you unpaired them.

• bunk

so how do u turn of the bt connection for the watch

• dshrum84

To turn off the BT for the watch, go to settings>connections> Bluetooth.  With both phone and watch Bluetooth off, the watch will use it's own LTE to connect to T-Mo then it should connect to the phone remotely for all your phone notifications.

If the watch stays in standalone mode for awhile, connect the phone and watch via Bluetooth for a minute then turn Bluetooth off again.  The watch should connect remotely to the phone after that.

• bunk

when i turn off the bluetooth the remote connection is  greyed out

• dshrum84

I'm not sure what you mean.  What menu or screen are you looking at?

The watch should connect remotely on it's own.  You will see a watch symbol at the top of the watch when it's in standalone mode, then the symbol will disappear when it shifts to "connected remotely".  This should make things essentially the same as if the watch was bluetooth connected except for things like syncing S Health and downloading apps through the Galaxy Apps store.