Note 4 random Reboot / Restarting problem

dustinnn

What are customers supposed to do that spent so much money on a phone and now doesn't work properly after installing an update and can't have it warrantied, or worse, have it warrantied and it doesn't fix it??? 

All replies

• dustinnn

Re: Note 4 random Reboot / Restarting problem

After dealing with this problem long enough and seeing that all of the Note 4 phones on different carriers have the same problem with Random Reboots/Restarts, I have even read the same topic on here about it being a known issue but with no solution.  So I have tried every single so-called solution and nothing works.  This was from a firmware/software update that caused the problem and it will not be fixed till there is firmware/software released, OR if it has caused a hardware problem that is not fixable then people are now out of warranty and the phone is basically broken forever? 

My sister's note 4 on T-mobile was replaced under warranty for the same issue but the new one is now doing it worse, like my own, very often (10+ times a day).

• tmo_marissa

Hi dustinnn.  That's a bummer that both your phone and your sister's have these issues after updating - especially since you mention your sister's was replaced already!  I know having to complete repeat exchanges is a bear - no one wants to set up phones over and over again. 

It sounds like you've already completed a ton of research and done troubleshooting, which is awesome.  Unfortunately, if you're not able to pinpoint a problem with the last resorts of Master Reset/Safe Mode, then an exchange if the device is still under warranty (even though it's been past a year since the phone was made it's still under extended warranty if you're carrying insurance or JUMP! on your line) is really the only option.  A user on this similar thread: I am having issues with the 6.0 update... mentioned a fix they found online that worked for them, it might be worth taking a peek at that. 

When we complete software updates, the manufacturer provides the update and we tweak and test to do our best to ensure that this kind of thing won't happen as a result - you can read a little about that process here: Software update development FAQs.  Ultimately, I can't say what's causing the issues with your equipment, but please know that it's definitely never our intention to provide software that breaks a phone!  I took a look at known issues for the Note 4, and it does look like there's a known issue with freezing on multiple devices running Chrome 48 - Google is aware of this issue and it should be resolved with an upcoming Chrome release.  Does this problem seem isolated to when you're using Chrome?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • chupshah

Do not waste time and money. Install wakelock power manager and select partial wakelock. Problem Gone.

• dustinnn

About an hour went by and it then rebooted constantly till I have a full charge.

I previously tried one of these apps with no success either, I did a LOT of reading and trying all kinds of things.

I read someone would charge it to 100% then unplug from the wall end, leaving the other end connected to the phone and their phone would not reboot.. Sounded annoying but I tried that too.

I think Samsung needs to offer an extended warranty for defective note 4's. They just recalled tons of washing machines and other appliances... What's the hold up here, they need to catch on fire like the note 7 before they really worry?

• tmo_marissa

I'm so sorry that none of those suggestions panned out, dustinnn, and I do applaud you for trying such a laundry list of fixes.  I hear you that this is a frustrating spot to be in.  You bring up an interesting suggestion regarding an extended warranty from the manufacturer.  To be totally up front, I looked for known issues with the Note 4 on our side and although I know that this is not the only thread in Support about this issue, we don't have this reported per the manufacturer at this time - except for the Chrome situation I mentioned.  At this point it doesn't look like Samsung considers the equipment defective, though saying that doesn't make your phone instantly work, which is what we're after here!  Have you tried reaching out to Samsung to see if they are honoring warranty extensions for this equipment?  I haven't heard of them doing so, but on the other hand, maybe it couldn't hurt to ask!  Forgive me for doubling back, I just want to make sure - did you already complete a Master Reset and try the phone out in Safe Mode to see if it's still rebooting like this?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • dustinnn

Thanksfortryingtohelloagain.   No, I have not reached out to them directly but I will try because you're right, it can't hurt.   This is similar to a vehicle having a problem and the manufacturer saying they never heard of it before. ..to the 3rd person that day with the same problem,  I worked at a car dealer and know it's common practice. No one likes being responsible and taking credit for something that costs them money and Samsung is up to their throats in defective products right now from washing machines to phones and anything else in between.  We have a Samsung washing machine that began to rust in the first year, they came a few times and wouldn't honor the warranty it still had,  the reason for the rust was because of our water they claimed.   I might be wrong but water, bleach, soap or anything else shouldn't make the inside of a washing machine rust that quick or at all.   Thankfully it's part of their major recalled units now. 

They have many logic boards failing and won't acknowledge them.

If you Google: note 4 rebooting or restarting its easy to see its a widespread issue and not with one service provider but all of them and no known software fix works.   I have changed most of the parts in the phone already too since it's out of warranty already so what is there to lose.  Battery, home button,  charging port,  sim/sd reader,  Gave it an alcohol bath. ..no fixes.   I read online there was a new update from you guys (tmobile) from December that the phone is not updating on its own already so I setup kies3 again and tried to get it that way,  it said it was about to install the new DPL2 file but after it booted up it still had the EPK2 so that wasn't some sort of firmware fix I hoped for either. 

If anything ever comes of this please post again so I can try and get it taken care of.

• tmo_marissa

Yowch. If I hear any updates, I definitely will post back here.  Likewise, if you do reach out to the manufacturer, please let us know what you hear. 

- Marissa

• dustinnn

After buying another phone I decided to give this a little more work and see what happens.  It's finally fixed!

It was a hardware issue like suspected.  The last part I swapped finally fixed it. Can't say it's the same for everyone else with the same issues but it had to be this internal change that fixed mine.

FYI I did contact Samsung first and they told me even after my year warranty was up they suggest I get their Samsung extended warranty care service and connected me to that department to purchase that so then the phone could be swapped out.

This seemed a little strange they would even offer that to me but I tried anyway and then the next person said no I can't buy it after the year is up. Thank you for nothing Samsung. They won't be getting any future business of mine and I'll be sure to spread the word about their lack of quality control across all of their product lines.

• tmo_marissa

I have to say I'm sorry to hear you got a runaround and were encouraged to contact another department with no result, *but* I am STOKED that you were able to tinker your way into a working phone, since goodness knows you tried everything under the sun!  Congratulations, and kudos for not giving up.

- Marissa

• smiceli3

dustinnn, would you mind sharing what the hardware issue was that you replaced and appeared to have corrected things?  There's plenty of evidence out there that many, many people are having issues with the Note 4.  All my testing and research tells me it's a software problem.  I thought it was the batteries, but have been through two official Samsung batteries and one third party battery with the same results.

• magenta2031201

Don't leave us in suspense! What hardware did you replace? I mean, you took the time to tell us you had it sorted. Just a couple of sentences, maybe just the name of part itself? Unfortunately, this happens on so many forums. Man, what an unnecessary bummer. End rant

• febzz

I started experiencing this issue since last week. Out of nowhere, my Note 4 started to lag and freeze. At first I thought maybe it was the battery too, so I got myself a brand new Anker Battery. And hey, nope it's not a battery issue. Then I reformatted my phone, and yes, it was still lagging and freezing.

Fast forward to this week, last night, I got the mmc_read failed message. Shoot me.

Now I've been using the Wake Lock app and it's set to Level 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It's been much better with this App running. Of course, my battery takes a hit. But at least the phone is usable, as long as I don't restart the Phone.

My gf's phone is exactly the same as mine, Note 4, and we're exactly on the same firmware version. She has no issue at all. We've switched batteries as well and her phone works fine with any battery.

I never rooted my phone, and I've been using only the original, official firmware pushed by T-mobile. My phone is running the latest firmware (EQB1) released last month. The problem didn't start right after my phone was updated. Only since last week.

Now, I've been scouring the Internet and many say this is a hardware issue, but some say too that this is probably caused by the firmware. Does anyone now know better if this is a hardware or software issue?

I was going to get myself another Note 4 but then if this is a firmware issue, it could happen too to a new Note 4. If this is a hardware issue, then a new Note 4 may not get this problem.

There's also a conspiracy theory saying that Samsung purposely did this so as to force all Note 4 users to upgrade their phones. If this is a firmware issue, can we file a class suit? Sigh.

UPDATE 1:

I just came back from the Samsung Experience Center. I also talked with Samsung, T-mobile over the Phone today.

So basically, from what the guy over at the Samsung Experience Center told me, a few months ago, many Note 4 Sprint users had this exact same issue. Basically the firmware update caused the phone to malfunction. In the end Samsung replaced all the affected phones. I went there, talked to him, and initially I wanted him to reflash my phone but he then told me that this issue was basically a faulty firmware. Reflashing wouldn't really help because the firmware itself is faulty. The firmware could have affected (damaged) the hardware. That this exact same issue has happened in the past with Sprint users.

I then called Samsung hotline up and talked with, fortunately, a friendly and helpful rep who was willing to document everything and escalate the issue on my behalf. She told me that she would call me back in a few days to update me on how the case is going.

At this point, I'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE 2:

And apparently I just learned that Note 4 in Europe and Sprint here in the US just received a latest firmware update around 300-400mb in size.

"The firmware update description reveals that it brings better stability and performance as well as optimizations for improving battery efficiency. This Galaxy Note 4 update also comes with the March security patch that has 73 fixes for Android OS vulnerabilities and fixes for a dozen vulnerabilities that Samsung found in its own software."

Fingers-crossed, hopefully this update will soon come to T-mobile and other carriers and fix our issue.