How can I get DIGITS to use WiFi on my Nexus 5 phone.

e.douglas.c@gmail.com

T-Mobile coverage at my location (Home) SUCKS.  I was counting on DIGITS on WiFi to allow me to make phone calls from inside my house.  Ever since you made changes to DIGITS, all my DIGITS calls use Cellular Network on my phone.  An Cellular Network at my location (Home) does not exist since T-Mobile made changes to the local tower.  I went to DIGITS Setting on my phone app and changed Network Settings to "Use data only".  That still used my phone Cellular Network (SIM).

I like the other comments recommending DIGITS as a WiFi Calling as an alternative to T-Mobile WiFi Calling.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey there - this is great feedback and definitely something on our radar - you're right that this suggestion keeps coming up!  We've had a few users bring this up here: Andriod Digits App Use Wifi to make calls for primary line on Non T-Mobile Devices and I've forwarded the ask - but I do want to clarify, is the Nexus your primary device, are you using it with a duplicate SIM, or does it have its own unique SIM but you want to use it to place WiFi calls as the primary number?  Am I reading this correctly that you were previously able to use the app to make calls over WiFi but newer versions of the app don't allow that to happen?  Thanks for participating in the Beta and for taking the time to give us your input!

- Marissa

• e.douglas.c@gmail.com

Aloha Marissa,

Thanks so much for responding.

First of all my Nexus 5 is using a T-Mobile SIM card.  I have used this phone over two years with T-Mobile.  I don't have another SIM card.  In addition, Nexus 5 is my primary device and do not have a duplicate SIM.  I no nothing about own unique SIM to place WiFi calls as the primary number. 

That is correct, I was able to use DIGITS and my primary number over WiFi.  At first I could not use my primary number over DIGITS.  But having WiFi on and re-installing DIGITS I was able to make call over WiFi.  I cannot use Cellular Network within my house.  Yes, I called Support (very nice but could do nothing).  We (wife) have been with T-Mobile over 12 years. - this is another issue about not able to use Cellular Network within my house.  With DIGITS and WiFi, I am hoping to remedy my not able to make T-Mobile calls or receive calls within my house.

"Am I reading this correctly that you were previously able to use the app to make calls over WiFi but newer versions of the app don't allow that to happen? "

This is a hard one to explain!  In the App Settings of DIGITS app for phones, there are two options for Network Settings, the "Use Data Only" allows WiFi connections or 4G, LTE. etc...

I hope you can make sense of my comments!

• tmo_mike_c

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!