Long messages are split

vicolp

Hello,

A lot of people complain that my messages are split in multiple parts. Please add option to choose whether to split long messages or not.

This happens quite often where it looks normal on my phone (one big message) but the message is split in multiple parts on the other person's phone. This also splits links and makes sharing more complicated.

Cheers!

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Long messages are split

Yeesh, thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know what number of characters it seems to split at?

-Lauren

• vicolp

Hello,

No, I did not check but from what I noticed, it splits when it reaches the SMS limit (which I believe it's around 140-160).

Cheers!

• tmo_kirstin

That makes sense. I know it is a very annoying feature to some and may change in the future, but at this time that is how the service should work. I have seen many complaints on this and hopefully that will make it easier for our teams to make that change before the service goes live. Thanks for your feedback and if you have any other issues we are here to help!

• tmo_kirstin

Hey vicolp, I wanted to reach out and see if you were still looking for help on this. Were you able to look in to the information requested by Lauren?

• jnnfr65

Hi !

I have the same problem of Vicolp, a lot of people complains that my messages are split in multipl parts. Not all my contacts but a lot and it's really annoying for them... What can I do to fix this problem ?

Thank you !

• tmo_lauren

jnnfr65 great question! If you are reaching the message limit (typically around 140 characters) it is going to break up into multiple pieces.

-Lauren

• bergquist10

This is fairly upsetting. As I have had several phones, Wndows phone, iPhone, LG, and Samsung. However this texting LIMIT of 1000 characters and splitting it up into 5 different messages, and also mixing them up is not "normal." Is there any fix T-Mobile can offer at all?

• rudy11

Re: Long messages split

There are a couple of things you can do to eradicate this problem. First, go to your message settings. If you're not sure how to find message settings, click on your message icon as though to write a message, voila!, you're now there. In upper right corner, look for either a settings icon, 3 vertical dots, etc (depending on the phone/style etc), and click on it. a drop down appears with various categories.

Look for 'settings'.

Click on settings to open.

Under advanced, click on 'more' (or other, misc,).

This opens to a list of your messages - text/multi and advanced messaging.

Click and open each of those setting, look for something that indicates message length.

(Note: You may find that you have an option to increase the number of characters in each message, not found in newer phones as much, tho. If you do, then you can increase the message limits.)

Or, click on multimedia messages. On this, you will find 'convert to MMS'

Flip switch to on.

Now, all of your long messages will be converted to a multimedia message, which allows for much more room, as in sending an image.

You mention that this only occurs with certain contacts, who have mentioned this to you. Does this occur with all text messages they receive, or only from you specifically? If they receive all messages broken up, then it's their phone, usually on default message length.

Good Luck!