DIGITS activation on data-only cell phone?

joenforcer

Hi,

I have a question that was posed in this thread here: Is there a way to make DIGITS work on a data only cell phone? It was marked as "Assumed Answered", but it really wasn't. I'm asking again since I wasn't the original poster.

I have an Android device, the Moto X Pure Edition. During the day as I head to work, I swap out my T-Mobile SIM and put in a Verizon SIM since I don't get native coverage in parts of rural Wisconsin. The Verizon SIM is data-only, so even though it is assigned a phone number, it does NOT send or receive text messages or cellular calls. However, the DIGITS requires that a 6-digit SMS code sent to the phone is confirmed to be able to use the app. I can't receive texts on that SIM, so I'm hoping there's an alternative way to approve the phone for use in a data-only scenario. This is the PERFECT solution that I've wanted to use my phone when I don't actually have a T-Mobile SIM inserted, so I hope you can help me out... thanks!

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: DIGITS activation on data-only cell phone?

You can make this work, but only in a roundabout manner at the moment.

1. Insert your VZW SIM into the device

2. When it asks you to validate your phone number, enter in another phone number that someone else has that can immediately tell you the confirmation code (i.e. don't use either your VZW or T-Mobile number)

3. Activate your T-Mobile line

4. Go into settings and in network settings, select use data only.

That should let you into the app in the right manner to use your number and have it in data only mode.

It's not ideal and we're looking at some changes mainly for phones being used without a SIM which will make this process work a little smoother.

• joenforcer

Thanks Evan! I tried logging in again and it looks like it no longer has the SMS verification requirement, which is a big plus. However, when I request to use my phone number on the device, it sends a text for validation to the primary account holder's number, *2706, and won't let her validate for me (not authorized, either because it's not her number or she's not authorized for DIGITS). I am *2707, and she has to forward me to the text she receives to log in and activate the number. Shouldn't the message go to either the number that I'm trying to activate, or even better, as an email to the DIGITS user? It's awful clunky for me to expect the primary account holder to forward me a message every time I swap SIM cards (daily).

Let me know if I should make a separate post for this issue.

• tmo_kendra

Hey there!! You will not need to make a separate post for this. It sounds like that this is being looked at to see what can change in the future. Since you are using a data only sim, the PAH will receive the validation code that you will need to put in the phone when you are switching the sim. This is by design as of right now. Thank you so much for the feedback and participating in DIGITS.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tmo_mike_c

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!