Voicemail broken on Gear S3 with Duplicate line

fordprfct

I am currently set up with a Galaxy S7 Edge, with its number duplicated to a Gear S3.  Both devices purchased directly from T-Mobile.

To test the voicemail on them, I turned off the S7, and called from another phone.  When I rejected the call, the outbound message to the caller was the one that had been set up on the S3, before I joined the DIGITS Beta, rather than the outbound message that has been set up with the S7.

I left a voicemail, and waited to receive a notification.  I did not.

So I tried calling the voicemail number from the S3.  (Phone app, hold down "1".)  I got the error "Your call cannot be completed as dialed."

Then I tried turning the S7 back on, to see if I could receive the voicemail there.

I got no notification.  I saw nothing in the Visual Voicemail on the phone.  I called the voicemail number from the phone, connected, and was told that the voicemail I left did not exist.

This rather concerns me.  The voicemail I left appears to have vanished, and become inaccessible.  This negates some of my intended use of the DIGITS service.

I am not sure where the problem lies, but I would expect that the voicemail would have been sent to the main (duplicated) number, regardless of which device was active at the time, and that I would be able to dial up the voicemail service from either device to retrieve these voicemails.

Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this a problem with the service?

Thanks!

All replies

• dshrum84

This is my biggest unanswered question about the watch.  I want unanswered calls from my phone to go to the watch, whether it's forwarded or through Digits, but I want the voicemail to go back to the phone's visual voicemail if I don't answer.

• fordprfct

This is what I would prefer as well, with the addendum that I want to be able to call the voicemail from the watch, and listen to the messages left for the main line, regardless of the status of the primary device.

With the way it is working for me right now, the watch is wholly incapable of retrieving voicemail for any line (assigned, duplicated, routing, or whatever), when it is not connected to the phone.

• tmo_amanda

Hey fordprfct  and dshrum84!

Thanks for giving us a heads up of what's happening. This shouldn't be functioning the way you mentioned. To make sure everything is properly set-up, please answer the following questions:

- Does your watch ring when your phone is off and people are calling your primary number?

- When you call others directly from your watch what number is displayed (ex. virtual or primary phone number)?

• fordprfct

I've done a *bunch* of tests, under various connection combinations.  The ones I have marked with an asterisk are the ones that I feel are problematic, with the number of asterisks indicating the severity.  Note that I am unable to actually make any calls from the watch, under any scenario except when it is directly connected to the phone via bluetooth.

-----

Phone on, watch WiFi on, Bluetooth connected:

Call from external phone to primary number:  Rings phone and watch

Rejected call from watch:  Goes to primary voicemail

Call from watch to external phone:  Uses connected phone to call.  Caller ID shows primary number

** Call from watch to voicemail:  Does not use connected phone to call.  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

Text to primary number:  Shows on both phone and watch

Text from phone:  Shows from primary number, does not show on on watch

* Text from watch:  Shows from primary number, synced to phone, outbound message sometimes appears twice on phone

-----

Phone on, watch WiFi on, Bluetooth disconnected, call forwarding on:

** Call from watch to external phone:  Does not use phone to call.  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

** Call from watch to voicemail:  Does not use phone to call.  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

* Text from phone:  Shows from primary number, does not show on watch

* Text from watch:  Shows from primary number, shows on phone only after reconnecting to phone

-----

Phone on, watch WiFi on, Bluetooth disconnected, call forwarding off:

** Call from watch to external phone:  Does not use phone to call.  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

** Call from watch to voicemail:  Does not use phone to call.  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

* Text from watch:  Shows from primary number, shows on phone only after reconnecting to phone

-----

Phone on, watch WiFi off, Bluetooth disconnected, call forwarding on:

***** Rejected call from watch:  Caller receives fast busy signal

-----

Phone on, watch WiFi off, Bluetooth disconnected, call forwarding off:

-----

Phone off, watch WiFi on:

Call from external phone to primary number:  Rings to watch

** Call from watch to external phone:  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

** Call from watch to voicemail:  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

Text to primary number:  Goes to watch

Text from phone:  N/A

Text from watch:  Shows from primary number

-----

Phone off, watch WiFi off:

Call from external phone to primary number:  Rings to watch

** Call from watch to external phone:  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

** Call from watch to voicemail:  "Call cannot be completed as dialed."

Text to primary number:  Goes to watch

Text from phone:  N/A

Text from watch:  Shows from primary number

-----