DIGITS on a non-smart phone

rpanchapagesan

Dear T-Mobile,

Today late evening, I purposefully left my primary phone (Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, which always works on 4G-LTE connection) at home, and took only my DIGITS line (a non-smart phone) when going on an errand. I received a call from my boss, and the call clarity was ridiculous. I have never had problems in the same area that I go every night for kids' pickup, with my primary phone. Do you think I should try the DIGITS line on another smart phone that also always works on 4G-LTE?! Does the type of connection matter, since T-Mobile may be using Voice over LTE, or High Definition calls, that is not supported by a non-smart phone?

Regards

RPg

P.S -- you all really need to know this, although I might sound like I belong to an older generation. The very purpose of trying with a non-smart phone is to avoid the addiction of keeping my heads down and glued to the phone all the time. I would classify myself as a "gregarious" person, but that is a thing of a past ever since I started using smart phone for the last 6 years. Somehow I feel like getting back to my good old habits of be-friending with people or volunteering a service or such things, whenever I go on errands like picking up kids from classes etc. But at the same time, I don't want to be non-reachable even over a voice call, especially if it is from my boss like what happened this evening.

All replies

• hershy

Re: DIGITS on a non-smart phone

Hi,

I'm also using DIGITS on a non-smartphone and haven't noticed call quality issues, however, I have noticed missing SMS.

• rpanchapagesan

Good to know that hershy. In my case also, it has not been consistently bad. Yesterday evening was bad, and I did an international call this morning, that was totally bad as well.

Only 2 bad experience out of possibly 10. It so happens both the bad experiences were during driving, and all the good ones were in "static" mode. I will continue to observe since I am getting more and more curious

• tmo_tim_b

Hello rpanchapagesan

If I'm understanding your issue correctly, each area you go has specific coverage technologies available (700 Mhz LTE, 4G, 3G, Edge, etc). Some places will have 700 MHz, for example, while others do not, and in those areas phones that support that frequency typically work better than phones that do not. If the phone first device you are using is not compatible with the best technology available in the area, the call quality may not be the same. At the same time, that same device may work perfectly fine in another location. It really will depend on what the device supports and what your area provides. You can check our coverage maps (Compare Networks | Our Network Is as Good as Verizon's | T-Mobile) and get an idea of what each device should be receiving. 

Hope that helps!

• tmo_mike_c

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!