6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2017 4:22 PM by tmo_amanda RSS

WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?

alx29

I have two devices that are WiFi-Calling-capable: my HTC One M8, and my LG Stylo 2 Plus.

The HTC One M8 works flawlessly. The LG Stylo 2 Plus has an issue; every 4-8 seconds, the audio drops to static.

I've ensured that both devices are using the same WiFi connection (5 GHz band, so it's not 2.4 GHz interference). I'm using a genuine T-Moblie WiFi Cellspot as my router. The LG Stylo 2 Plus works flawlessly using the cell network (when I have reception). The issue is ONLY when WiFi calling.

My cell reception at home is "good" on all the maps - 3-4 bars at best. Sometimes as bad as 1-2. So WiFi calling is important.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• 1. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
          tmo_marissa

Hey alx29!  It definitely sounds like the Stylo's got an issue.   Did it have this problem with Wi-Fi calls right out of the box, or did this only start recently?  Have you been able to test this device on another Wi-Fi network to see if it happens outside of your home?  It's a shame to think it could be having trouble with such a basic function when it sounds like it's working great over the network.  I'd imagine that the speed of your ISP connection isn't likely to be the culprit though, since your HTC is working so well.  It sounds like Wi-Fi calling is an imperative so that you can have a stable in-home connection, let us know a little more about when this started and what troubleshooting you've been able to do (if any)!

- Marissa

• 2. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
            alx29

Thanks for the reply tmo_marissa . First, as far as home internet speed, on a bad day I'm getting 50Mbit down and 12Mbit up, so that shouldn't be a concern.

I tested on a couple of other networks, with disparate results: on one network I had the audio drop every 15-20 seconds, and on another only every few minutes. However, I'm noticing that the issue is worse the longer the phone is on... I had almost no issues after rebooting it. So at least now I'm fairly sure that rebooting is a solid mitigation strategy. I'm beginning to suspect an application issue.

I'm currently researching one specific app & service - I found a running app & service called "MBN Test" and "MbnSystemService". The process name of MBN Test is "com.qualcomm.qti.modemtestmode". I've only been able to try this once, but when I stopped the service, the performance of wifi calling improved immediately. Since I've restarted several times, the issue appears to be at bay, at least for now. I'm going to test stopping that service the next time the problem appears, too, to see if it's repeatable, or if it was coincidental.

• 3. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
              tmo_marissa

I'm not familiar with that process, but it sounds promising that you've noticed improvement so quickly when it's stopped.  Have you had any luck keeping the issue at bay?  Just hoping this is the ultimate resolution for you!  If possible, you might consider a master reset and then operating in Safe Mode for a while to see if you can isolate the app that starts this function in the first place. 

- Marissa

• 4. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
                tmo_amanda

Hey alx29!

I'm just swingin' by to see how your WiFi calling is functioning now! Hopefully there is more improvements as Marissa mentioned.

• 5. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
                  alx29

Hey there!

So the problem is less frequent, and I have a new top suspect.... Facebook. When I log out of Facebook it seems to help a lot. If there was one app I wish was NOT stock, it's Facebook....

I have no definite conclusions; I don't know if it's a specific app or two, or if it's just when the phone is generally taxed. But I'll get by.

Thanks again for the follow-ups!

• 6. Re: WiFi Calling sound drops every 4-8 secounds; only this device. Suggestions?
                    tmo_amanda

Goodness! Well it sounds like you have definitely narrowed it now so if anyone else has this issue hopefully the suggestions you have made will help.

Thanks again for getting back to us! Have a fantastic weekend.