Digits high data usage

paulsjames

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it looks like digits has used 1.5 gb of data in the last couple of weeks.

Screenshot_20161223-172238.png

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: Digits high data usage

That does look like a little more data than might be expected.

Couple of questions for you:

1. Are your sending a lot of images and videos on the different lines you have registered in the DIGITS app (but not necessarily from the device)?

2. Have you done a couple of installs of the app from scratch on the device?

3. Have you initiated any or multiple refreshes in the messaging or call logs?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

• paulsjames

I have sent or received a total of 5 messages.

I have only done the initial install and I believe there were 2 updates since the initial install.

No refreshes of the messaging  or call log. ( 6 calls in the call log)  Several hundred contacts were imported from my contacts.

Since I have posted there has been another 200mb of data used. no calls, refreshes or reinstall during that time.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello paulsjames

I just wanted to check in with you. I know there have been updates since our last contact with you, so have you noticed data usage continuing to be high or has it decreased at this point?

• paulsjames

I haven't been checking but I just got a notice that I have run out of high speed data 10 gb. I look in my data usage and digits has now used a total of 4.81 GB since December 15th.  I have only done updates. I have not refreshed my main line text messages and I have a total of 5 text messages received.  I don't see any settings for refreshing contacts or anything. I am now going to have to uninstall as it is eating up all my data. Current version of digits is 1.0.115. I dont think I have ever gone over 5 GB of data on my phone and now I am maxed out.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello paulsjames

It's really disconcerting to hear the app used that much data. I have it as well, and even combined with Wi-Fi, it's only used 208 MB in a similar time frame while having much more activity than what you described here. It makes me wonder if the downloads were getting stuck or if there was a conflict with something else on the device. By chance, did you notice any other issues while you had the app installed? I'd like to see if we can pinpoint what happened.

Thank you!

• lemmyslender

I just thought I'd chime in here too.

Digits app for a second number on my primary phone was going through data rather quickly, so I disabled, and finally uninstalled it.

On my tablet (wifi only) the digits app has gone through just about 4GB.  It's been enabled since about a week after the beta launched.  I get around 20-30 texts a day.  I did take one short phone call on the tablet.  I disabled it on the tablet 2 days ago.

In both cases, the vast majority of the data being used was listed as "background" data, similar to paulsjames attached picture.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello paulsjames and lemmyslender

As always, we appreciate the feedback. I know another update for the app went out yesterday. I'd be curious if you still experience the issues on the newest version. If so, can we PM you for further details?

Thank you.

• tmo_tim_b

Hello paulsjames and lemmyslender

Are you still seeing high data usage on the app? If so, could we PM you, as per @tmo_amanda, for additional details?

• rsonnie

I periodically have this same issue (I have a bug report open for it).  Over a 1 Gb of data in a day.  I haven't seen it so far with the latest app update, but its only been a couple days on the new version.  I ate up my entire data allotment and am working on data stash now!