Branched to a new discussion.

Samsung S7 Call Quality Issues, Texting Issues

maitai11

Hi Everyone,

First-time poster here...I want to thank everyone up-front who respond, and let you know that your knowledge and wisdom surrounding these kinds of issues are both welcome and helpful!  Again, many, thanks.

I bought a new S7 in Hawaii, then moved to Fallon, NV.  Both locations have dark pink 4G LTE coverage as reflected in the T-Mobile capability map.  There are several issues affecting the efficiency of my phone.

I have the Samsung S7 with Android version 6.0.1, Model SM-G930T, and have checked for updates as recently as today.  I'm up to date.  The last update I did was on November 1, 2016.  I have Build Number MMB29M.G930TUVU4APK1, and you can ask for any additional information you might need.

Here are my main issues:

1.  After resetting my phone, I get a text message indicating, "XXX# of texts not sent."  This appears even after I know for a fact said texts have gone through.

2.  I get the same text from senders multiple times

3.  The screen dims on its own, then lightens from time to time

4.  Perhaps the most frustrating is the quality of the calls.  I consistently get, "WHAT, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, YOU'RE BREAKING UP!" from callers on the other end, and this makes me want to yell into the phone, too.  On my old S6, it was a clogged microphone - I don't think, with this huge mic hole, that that is the case on this phone, but I could be wrong.  I've had a case on it since I've bought it (Spigen,) and only recently have I been having call quality issues.  Things tend to go better when I'm on a wireless headset and the phone is sitting in one location.

5.  The phone has, from time to time, restarted on its own.

Thank you in advance!  I know we're supposed to be patient with new technology, but this is a bit of a hassle, and it's getting worse.  If I could get help with any of these issues, I would be profoundly appreciative.

Many, many thanks,

Tim

All replies

• maitai11

Re: Samsung S7 Call Quality Issues, Texting Issues

I just want to update everyone on a mistake I made in the post above, and I thought adding this versus editing my original post might be better in case someone has the same problem.

I was confusing the headphone jack with the microphone!  Sheesh, that's embarrassing - but I now know that the microphone is the exact same size as the S6, and I cleared the hole with a paper clip as I had done before with great success.  I am now awaiting a phone call from my sister to help me check the quality.

By the way, I have to say that I carry my phone in a case on my belt - and I insert it camera side down with the screen to my body...where does that leave the microphone?  Facing up!  Does the flap on my belt case always cover it?  Nope.  What I think happens over time is, the hole gets clogged with particles of deodorant - that stuff is like soap in your hand, and could probably be good enough to patch any wall in a pinch.  Beyond that is ANYTHING that falls on top of the edge of that phone could find itself in any one of the holes.  I wish they'd cover the mic with the same thing they did the speakers - maybe then it wouldn't be prone to clogging...

I'll further advise if the problem remains in subsequent calls, but I can tell you that clearing out the mic hole in my previous phone absolutely solved the problem at that time.  We'll just have to see if it resolves it this time around.

I'm still having issues with the rest, so any further help would be mightily appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tim

• maitai11

2nd update:  Clearing the mic hole did nothing to fix my call quality.  As my sister described it, she said I sounded "weird, like you're in a coffee can or something."

When I switched over to my Bluetooth headset, there may have been a minor improvement, but I still had to talk louder.

I'm not on speakerphone or anything.  This is a direct handheld conversation, just like a regular phone.

Hope this helps...

Tim

• maitai11

Can anyone help?  Anyone from T-Mobile?

Thanks,

Tim

• tmo_marissa

Hey maitai11 - this is quite a list of issues you've had - I'm sorry for the delay in responses here!  Thank you for being so thorough in detailing what's been happening, I'm going to do my best to recommend some possible fixes.

Regarding issues 1, 2, and 4 - your messaging inconsistencies and call quality - because you're experiencing both of these problems, it seems like a signal issue.  Is this only happening since you moved, or did this happen in Hawaii?  Can I ask how many bars of signal you see on your phone, and if you notice any improvement in different areas of town or other cities?

Regarding the screen dimming - this could be the case interfering with the proximity sensor on your phone.  Have you noticed this without the screen on?  Certain types of lighting can impact the function of the proximity sensor, also - does this seem to happen indoors and outdoors?

Lastly, regarding the phone restarting on its own - the November update actually contained a crash/freeze fix that should have addressed these kinds of restarts for most users.  I know you're up-to-date, so you've definitely done the maintenance we'd recommend in that department.  Have you noticed any trends with this issue - does it seem like this happens when particular apps are open or maybe there's a lot happening in the background, or is it with little rhyme or reason?  Barring the ability to pinpoint a specific culprit, the first troubleshooting step we'd recommend you try for this is wiping your cache partition.  Have you already given that a shot?

Thank you again for posting!  Sorry for the 20 questions - when you have a moment to fill us in, I'm happy to help however I can!

- Marissa

• maitai11

Marissa,

Thank you for the reply; here are some answers to your questions:

1.  I can't remember if this happened in Hawaii or not; this was a very busy time for me, and furthermore, I moved right after I bought the phone, so it wasn't like I was using it for a long time in that area.  I currently have five bars at work, and with the help of the booster at home, five there as well.   I notice the call quality goes down when I'm driving through the mountains near Reno, and it does seem spotty throughout parts of Fallon, although I usually have three or more bars.

2.  The case does not have a screen.  It only has a rubber backing and plastic retainer to keep the backing from coming off.  The proximity sensor is completely unobstructed and the dimming happens inside and out...

3.  Rebooting:  Funny you should ask.  It just did so while I put it down on the desk.  This has happened before, and at other times, seemingly with no rhyme or reason.  I have wiped the cache partition, and also just redid it as well.

No problem on the 20 questions - I appreciate you answering my questions!  I look forward to hearing from you again soon.  Thank you.

Regards,

Tim

• tmo_marissa

Thank you so much for the detailed update.  I'd say that at this point, given the multitude of issues - tinny call quality and inconsistent messaging even on WiFi, screen responsiveness that can't be pinpointed, and especially the restarts, that if wiping the cache partition doesn't improve things, you may be dealing with defective equipment.  The last step in troubleshooting that we'd have you complete before doing this is a Master reset.  You'll want to back up and sync everything on your device before doing so, but if you complete one and the issues persist, then to be candid it sounds like a good chance that you're dealing with defective equipment.  The good news is that you should definitely be within the one year manufacturer's warranty, which we honor through our own exchange program for equipment purchased from T-Mobile, so if the reset isn't successful in resolving these issues, then you'll want to stop by a store or Contact Us to get a replacement ordered.  I hate delivering that news - but in this situation it just seems like there's more wrong than right happening with your equipment.  It really shouldn't be acting this way! 

- Marissa

• maitai11

Marissa,

Thank you, no problem - these things happen!

Will you please tell me how to do a full and complete back-up of my data and contacts onto a laptop computer?  Once I do that, I'll do the master reset.  Also, it would be helpful to know how to put the backed-up data on my phone once I do the reset.

Thank you,

Tim

• tmo_marissa

Sorry about the delay in response, Tim!  You can find some good information here: Backup & restore: Samsung Galaxy S7.  Personally, as I've lost my information before, I tend to go the extra mile and download all of my photos to my laptop (or a desktop) with the USB/micro cable before resetting, too.  If you've got all of your Google account Sync options enabled, you should have almost everything backed up to your Gmail address already, so when the phone is reset you'd get your contacts and calendar info back just by plugging in your Gmail profile info.  Most people sync their photos to Google as well, so you would be able to view them again through the app, but I like to have the downloaded copy.  Do you have all of your photos saved to an SD card currently?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hi Tim!  I just wanted to check in and see if you'd been able to back the device up and complete a Master Reset.  How is everything going for you now?  Have you noticed any improvement?

- Marissa

• maitai11

Marissa,

First, thank you very much for keeping the communication up and checking in on me.  Here is my update:

After backing up (some, the most important - pictures, etc.,) and doing a factory reset:

1.  Screen still dims.  I checked and there is no power management or advanced power management, and also, Smart Stay is off.

2.  The sound cuts in and out terribly.  It's like a wavering loud/soft/loud/soft...

3.  For now, call quality seems to have gotten better.

4.  Just last night, it reset on its own again.

So, Marissa, is this a case where the phone gets replaced?  If so, how do I go about doing the swap?  Can you help?

Many, many thanks for your help to date.

Regards,

Tim

Edit:  I also got a "Weak Charge" message after factory reset. Finally, I noticed my battery life has plummeted in recent days.  I think this phone is going down the tubes...help, Marissa!