Text conversations aren't synced between devices on Digits Beta

dshrum84

I have the beta set up to share my phone's number between the phone (HTC One M9), a Gear S3 Frontier LTE smartwatch and my PC.

The PC connection has been dodgy the whole time.  It'll work for a little, then disconect, then I'll need to re-setup the whole thing.  Texts sent from the PC aren't being received by the targets.

I thought I'd save battery on both my phone and watch by having both use their own cellular connections, but it turns out that so far the watch's battery life drops by half compared to just using the bluetooth connection to the phone.  It's more useful to carry an external charger in case I need it for the phone than to charge the watch every night.

When the watch and phone are both on cellular, it's 50/50 whether they'll be connected remotely through T-Mobile or independent of each other.

To get to the title, I was under the impression that my text conversations and call logs would somehow syncronized across devices.  Instead, all the devices are receiving everything but the texts I'm sending are only recorded on the device I sent them from.  It creates weird looking fragmented conversations when I use more than 1 device.

I haven't received the duplicate SIM for a second phone yet, I'm interested to add that to the mix and see how it works.

All replies

• dshrum84

See here: Digits Beta - Computer

The problem appears to lie with using Firefox.  A normal Firefox window is unstable, a Firefox Private Window wouldn't even load the number.  In Chrome, an Incognito window magically was correct at login without doing any additional setup.

I'm using Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Firefox 50.1.0, Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit)

• azdreamscape

I doubt the text message fragmentation issue will ever be resolved. Texting is 'device to device', so a third device can't know what happened between two others.

Using a duplicate SIM will add to the fun, since the duplicate will RECEIVE the same messages sent to your main device but will show no record of messages SENT from you main device (and of course, vice versa).

OK, scratch that. CORRECTION: Duplicate device shows texts sent from main device, but main device DOES NOT show texts from duplicate! OY!

• tmajibon

Fellow beta-user:

This is a "lack-of-standards" problem. There is no standard system in Android/IOS/etc to accept a message telling the phone "hey, this number sent a message elsewhere".

Apple's messaging gets around this by direct support in IOS (because they built both of course).

The only way to solve this is with an app for this purpose. It would be a good feature to add to the Digits app, allowing it to be used on the primary phone and adding functionality for normal sending of text messages, but also to sync messages sent elsewhere.

(Personally, I'd just love to have SIP support in this program...)

• azdreamscape

Personally, I'm not really concerned if my texts from other devices are synced with my main device or not.

My text threads normally do not contain deeply meaningful conversations.

I don't think texting was introduced for people to have deep, meaningful conversations. But nowadays people are indeed doing so, and with the expectation that the conversation will be there for their review for eternity.

I don't need to see (from my main device or an alternate device) that I texted my wife yesterday (from a different device) to say I would be home (early, late, around 3:30, or whatever).

• dshrum84

azdreamscape wrote:

Personally, I'm not really concerned if my texts from other devices are synced with my main device or not.

My text threads normally do not contain deeply meaningful conversations.

I don't think texting was introduced for people to have deep, meaningful conversations. But nowadays people are indeed doing so, and with the expectation that the conversation will be there for their review for eternity.

I don't need to see (from my main device or an alternate device) that I texted my wife yesterday (from a different device) to say I would be home (early, late, around 3:30, or whatever).

I have conversations with people that wander from device to device and sometimes stop then pick up much later in time.  When my devices are all separate anyway, I don't expect to have syncing.  When my devices are all supposed to be representing some digital construct of the same phone number, I do think that should be the end goal.

I don't care whether I'm having "deep, meaningful conversations" or not, I'd like them to be on all the devices the number is represented by so that whichever one I use, the whole thing is there and I understand why they wrote what they did.  Maybe I'm discussing political philosophy with a friend (which I do) or maybe I'm discussing my sister's cats (which I do); either way I'd like to have the whole discussion available.

Is there some reason that because you don't personally feel the need for something it shouldn't happen?  If we follow that paradigm there won't be a program left.

• azdreamscape

WHOA!

I'm certainly NOT advocating that text conversations on one DIGITS should not be synced across devices using DIGITS...far from it!

I too would like full synchronization for each DIGITS/phone number.

I won't be heartbroken if that isn't possible.

I DO think it is quite interesting to be able to send a text to someone from my work phone, and have it show up on their phone as being from my personal phone.

Of course, being able to CALL someone from my work phone, using my personal number is a pretty big deal too.

• azdreamscape

I'm happy to report that texts from my computer, using my main number, synced on my main phone this morning.

Later in the day, I sent texts from my work phone and my main phone to my wife.

Oddly, all messages synced on my work phone (using the app), but none of the messages sent from my work phone showed up on my personal phone.

Later, on my computer, all messages in the 'conversation' are showing up properly.

• athensoh

In my case, all texts arrive to DIGITS Web interface, but mostly stopped arriving to my main device, ZTE Axon 7 with Android 6.0.1. The other TMo SIM (not enrolled in DIGITS) in the device receives texts just fine. I have requested TMobile to cancel my DIGITS enrollment, but it is taking a few days for them to accomplish this.

• dshrum84

The PC connection for the app has stabilized, but the connection to Google contacts needs to be reset each day at least.  Received texts are on all devices but only the sending device shows sent texts.  I hope that can be changed later even if it means a periodic download to the other devices.

Next question: I took a phone call on my phone.  The phone and the PC show the call as received, the watch shows it as missed.  I realize I didn't take the call on my watch, but I did take the call.

• tmo_marissa

Hi folks!  Our DIGITS team has been busy pushing out updates and we wanted to check in and see if you've noted any improvements with syncing.  Is this inconsistency still happening, or does it seem isolated to one particular format (web client, paired device, duplicate line, DIGITS app)?  Thanks so much for the feedback! 

Also dshrum84, apologies on behalf of all of the moderators and DIGITS support folks for bombarding you today - we're trying to reach out and make sure we get a bug report filed for your Gear!  Please let us know if one's been filed already when you have a moment - I know the world went back to work this week, so we appreciate any time you can give us.    Thank you!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!