Can you use DIGITS to roam internationally with the Gear S3?

dcherin2017

I have a Samsung S7 Edge using DIGITS beta (Duplicate Line) with a Gear S3 and Computer (via web browser).  When I travel internationally (i.e. London), when my Gear S3 is not connected to my S7 Edge via Bluetooth and is connected using LTE/3G, will it still receive calls and sms texts on my S7 Edge's phone number? Also, will LTE/3G data work so I can continue to receive emails, etc.?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey dcherin2017!  Thanks for checking in.  At this moment during the Beta, duplicate SIMs only work in the US - I know this answer might sound a little weird, but that's essentially the part of the DIGITS functionality that your Gear S3's ICCID/ESIM is using.  The DIGITS app will work internationally, although slower data speeds on international roaming partners may impact the functionality.  Are you planning to travel soon?

- Marissa

• dcherin2017

I'm using an S7 Edge which has DIGITS built-in (I'm not using the downloadable application). I'm not traveling soon, but I'd like to know that allowing duplicate SIMs will be supported internationally.  As an FYI, in the past, I was unable to get my Gear S2 to work using 3G internationally even though it had its own phone number and plan. TMO customer service always said it should work but it never did. I'm hoping the the Gear S3 using a duplicate SIM will work. However, I'm concerned that international providers (i.e. O2 in London) which are used by TMO for roaming may not allow duplicate SIMs. Can you please address how that will be handled?

• tmo_marissa

Your question is totally reasonable and I'm glad you're asking beforehand - this would be awful to have to sort out if you were flying tomorrow.  Right now if you were to travel internationally, the primary line would work as normal, but any duplicate lines (using duplicate SIMs or the Samsung built-in experience platform) won't work.  Although I don't have a specific timeline, I do know that this is something that we are working to add in a future release and we will notify affected users regarding the update when it's available.

- Marissa

• tmo_evan

Just to clarify (or be a bit clearer)...

- DIGITS using the duplicate SIM (i.e the Gear S3 in this case) will not work outside of North America.  We're able to provide this service only in certain locale based on network agreements and technology implementations.  Over time we may be able to expand coverage area...

-Multiple DIGITS in the Samsung native experience WILL work internationally in Simply Global countries, however there may be some delays and other connectivity issues given the low bandwidth available.  We're working on making that experience better, though if you purchase high speed data passes it should operate without any hiccups.  However for the beta, we're advising customers that the experience may be rough (which was our original guidance that it MAY not work).

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!