Android System eating lot of Battery after DIGITS installation on S7 edge..

pranavn

Android System eating lot of Battery after DIGITS installation on S7 edge..

I used OS monitor to see which process is using max CPU. It was "Phone" which was running between 40-50% and phone was getting warm.

All replies

• adobopete

Don't install the DIGITS app on Samsung devices.  DIGITS works natively on your S7 edge.  Uninstall the DIGITS app and enable DIGITS on your device by going to Settings > Multi-line Settings, and log in with your T-Mobile ID

• pranavn

Thanks adobopete for your response. I installed it initially but then removed after the settings was updated with multiline for s7 edge. This problem started coming after that. I restarted the device and also wiped the cache. It didn't change the battery usage..

• kccasey

I have an S7 Edge and I have to install the Digits app.  Tmobile told me to when I called to figure out why Digits doesnt work well.   Everything works accept outbound Texting.  They never sent me a SIM card like they were supposed to either. They said if things are working then nothing to send.  

Nothing they can do about the text messaging issue either.  Over the phone they are limited in what they can do to troubleshoot and fix.  I asked why have ppl call if there isn't much that you can do.  The rep ddnt know what to say.  I asked if I should just get a new SIM because it may be a system issue.  Maybe a fresh SIM would do the trick. It's solved issues before.  The rep told me a new SIM would cost me $20.  Told him I'm not a new customer and if I'm beta testing this, if there is a SIM issue, they should provide a new SIM, as they are already doing automatically for customers.

And now that Digits has been added to my account, I can no longer log in to the T-Mobile website to do anything  My bill is due in 10 days.  I was told just go to a Tmobile store.  TOld him I should be able to log in and pay it.  I work 2 jobs, so the timing is hard.  I'm not taking time offf of work just to pay my bill.  He still told me to wait until my Bill cycles and the issue should resolve itself.  THats not fixing the issue and thats not an answer to it.  If I was able to log in and access ,my acount, but certain things are unavailable, maybe.  But not for this.

Really frustrating.  Makes me not want to participate in the program.

• pranavn

Any suggestions!!

• pranavn

Nothing to help tmobile?

• jeffreyp

I'm getting same thing on regular S7. Battery started dropping like a stone after enabling multiline settings. Reminds me of why I got rid of my Note 5. Battery has been really good on this phone until now.

• pranavn

Any solutions??

• tmo_lauren

Greetings! There is a known issue right now where if someone enables the SIM line of the device in the app it will cause excessive battery drain. Engineering is aware and looking into what they can do to resolve this.

There is not an expectation that there will an issue with the app not installed on the device, however So the DIGITS app is completely uninstalled from your device and you are going through the multiline settings within the device itself?

kccasey You should be able to just use the settings on the device itself and should not be required to go through the app. Have you tried uninstalling the app and going through the multiline settings? The SIM card is set out if you are doing multiple devices one number so you can use the SIM in another device you have, however, a new SIM shouldn't impact the primary device. As for my tmo, that is definitely something that needs a fix. Are you unable to login when you are on the desktop site?

-Lauren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • kccasey

@tmo_lauren I was instructed by Digits phone support that I should be using the Digits app on my S7 Edge since Digits dsnt appear to be working for my device.  TO me, this doesn't address the issue or resolve the problem.  I never used the app up until I started having the issue.  As the app is a work around since apparently my device isn't compatible.  Doesn't make any sense because everything was working just fine utilizing the built in device functionality.  OI told the rep that everything was working just fine w/o an issue.  Coincidence that I have this problem and I no longer have access to MyTmobile.  I have another line on my account that wasn't setup for My T Mobile.  So I used that to register for online access.  That was successful in terms of signing up.  But I'm still left with the same issue.  My primary line logs in, but nothing more.  Nothing is displayed on the page accept the top page options to chose from.  Every time I click on either one, still left with the same result,  Cannot access anything.  According to Digits Support, they are limited on what they can actually troubleshoot.  There was nothing that he could look at on why the issue may be happening. He said that unfortunately I have to be able to log into my account to try and troubleshoot anything.  there isnt anything on the device that be done.  Thought about switching the Primary number to a different number, then once I see that has been provisioned, switch it back.  Or use a different SIM card because that with systematically re-register to a different SIM and provide the much needed refresh because Digits support said there isnt anything that can be done  When I questioned what I mentioned as far as doing that to troubleshoot, they didn't know, which is fine  But why not try it

I do have another device that I can use, but was never sent out a Dual Sim.  I was asked if I had another Sim card I could use.  I said yes, and they activated that.

• tmo_lauren

Hmm, I am probably going to give you some counter advice. There is not  a documented suggestion to go through the app for the Samsung Galaxy Edge, but there is definitely a documented issue for the battery drain issue for users who are using the app on their primary device.

If you can, uninstall digits, renenable the like with the multi line settings on the phone and place a test text to yourself.

You are the second person we have seen with the tmo issue and would suggest calling the number you received in your welcome ticket and have them file a help desk ticket, it's what resolved the issue you are having for the other encounter!

Sorry for all the hiccups, the beta is definitely finding some kinks and issues, but we appreciate users like you making us aware so we can take a closer look.

-Lauren

• kccasey

I didn't originally have the digits installed.  I Originally was utilizing the  Multi-Line feature built-in.  At this point All features worked.  Text messaging & Phone calls In/Out bound all working just fine. I didn't have the app installed or use it at all.  Then after 24 hours of utilizing the Virtual line, I couldn;t send text messages from the Virtual line. 

I called support about it, they said nothing that can be done and no way to troubleshoot it.  THey told me to use the app as a work around.

Yes this issue is a little frustrating, but I'm fine with it. However, the fact that my Tmobile account has been disabled as a result of having Digits provisioned, from online use at tmo.com, handset, Tablet & through the Tmo app on the handset and also reps over the phone have an issue assisting me.  I didnt participating in this Beta program would wreck havoc on my account.

And there is NOTHING anyone is able to do about it.  I need to pay my bill, I CAN'T.  I called the store, they had an issue accessing my account.

• kccasey

And Lauren, I also turned off Multiline on the device itself so I'm not

having double the drain on the battery.  no reason to keep it on if it's

not going to function properly.

• kccasey

The only issue I'm primarily having is massive Battery drain and the fact I cant send out any text messages on the Digits Virtual number.  They ALL fail.

• kccasey

I'm completely restricted from All Tmobile websites that use myTombile login.  NOt even tMo tuesdays works anymore.  What did someone do to my acct???  ALL because I signed up for Digits.

this is completely discouraging.  I called a store to see what tye would have to say about using another sim and all the issues I'm having and he said just get a new acct to make a long story short.. Really??

Cant' pay my Bill

can't log into the website.  None of the phone numebers associated with my account can log in either.

Digits not working

Tmobile TUesday not working

No one can help as their hands are tied.

• debjitjdv

The problem in My TMobile login happened to me. I am the primary account holder and right after #DIGITS BETA registration, things completely went messy. I lost my login, someone else in my family was assigned as primary account holder although the account runs on my SSN. I complained this several times and finally I got in touch with the Twitter support of TMobile. They filed a ticket with backend helpdesk and the problem of My TMobile login is now solved for me after 10 days. But its not completely solved. I can login but still I cant see myself as primary account holder. Whenever I try to verify myself as primary account holder, system says My TMobile is not available. Twitter support again filed a bug report and I am waiting on that. I already provided TMobile Twitter support with the thread links to make them aware that this problem is happening to many people now. You may get in touch with them to file a proper help desk ticket.

• tmo_lauren

For the two of you having my tmo issues, I had sent you PMs to collect some info, however I will be out of town so I am going to have my teammate Amanda reach out to you! If you can reply to her message she will be sending over, she is going to get your info passed on so we can have it looked into!

-Lauren

• kccasey

I found a workaround that would work by thinking outside of the box on this one. However, it's a temporary work around. The only way it's going to work is if you have a multi-line account. And if there are any liens on your account that are not signed up for my T Mobile ID you can utilize those lines to sign up for a T-Mobile ID. That will create you online access to your account but once it gets associated with the DIGITS  phone number, once you log out, you'll be back to the same place as you started, no account access.   I was able to sign unsuccessfully twice before I got the error again. And then I turned around and create a T-Mobile ID with the virtual number, and was able to log into my account and manage maybe a couple things with standard access. I was just said she left back in the same position. However at the end of the day I was able to successfully sign in to the website and manage my digits to associate my new virtual number to my primary number. 

When I change my virtual number, this also fixed the digits issue I was having with not being able to send any text messages.

• pranavn

Hi @Lauren thanks for your response. However my issue of battery drain is not because of digits app but after the multiline settings update. Battery is draining pretty fast and phone is heating up.

Other day when i raised the issue it was Phone process eating up the battery. Today it is "CMHProvider" with 40-50% cpu usage. Android System is eating a lot of battery..

• kccasey

I'm still having a LOT of problems.  Since agreeing to be in the Beta, I no longer have account login access.  My Virtual Number now no longer works.  Had the number changed as well, still the same issue.  I'm a sitting duck.  No one over the phone is able to help.  I was told they have ability to only make minor changes, otherwise everything is up to me to make changes and fix.  I understand part of that, but if I'm not able to do anything a rep should be able to do something.  Now I have this service active on my line, and it's eating through my battery, and there is nothing I can do.  I shouldn't have signed up to test this out.  I can't even pay my bill now..:-(

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!