Quick charge suddenly stopped working

amstel78

Just noticed the other day that the quick charge function stopped working.  The V20 still charges fairly quickly, but the notification stating that the phone is fast charging no longer appears.  Additionally, when the charging cable is attached, the battery only shows the lightning bolt with no circle around it.  I've tried 3 different chargers with 3 different cables that all used to work before to no avail.  I've also tried charging in safe mode wondering if a recent app update screwed something up but no change.  Any suggestions?

All replies

• amstel78

Re: Quick charge suddenly stopped working

<sigh> Went to T-Mobile corporate store today and they diagnosed the phone as defective.  Same thing after speaking to LG tech support.  So, I called 611 and they're going to send me a replacement however T-Mo is backordered on the V20 for about 38 days. There's no guarantee however that I'll get a new phone rather than a refurb which sucks, because apart from this issue, the phone works perfectly. Anyway, the phone still works and still charges, albeit a bit slower than before.  I still find it odd that fast charge would work one day and then not the next.

• tmo_marissa

As far as defects go, this one is super frustrating - I'd be let down, too, especially if everything else was working fine.  To your credit, you did everything right when it comes to troubleshooting - and honestly, a defective phone isn't something that you can prevent - it's just luck.  I'm sorry it didn't land in your favor this time, and also that the wait for the replacement equipment is so significant.  Just putting it out there since I didn't see it mentioned specifically in your posts - did you happen to try a master reset?   I know that backing up your info and setting your phone up all over again aren't the best way to pass time (especially during what can be a very busy time of year), but I just wanted to mention it since it's usually the last step prior to an exchange order and it may be preferable to replacing your phone completely.

- Marissa

• amstel78

Hey Marissa,

Believe it not, I received a text just last Friday saying that my replacement phone arrived at a local T-Mo retailer.  I do believe I received a refurb, although it doesn't mention it.  The phone arrived in a plain box with no accessories, battery, or even rear cover - which I thought was just weird.

Anyway, the phone does work properly now and looked brand new (apart from me having to supply my own back cover).  The fast charging issue works like it should; this is even after restoring the new phone from a backup created on my original. 

To answer your question - yes, I did do a master reset before calling 611.  That did not solve the issue.  After now swapping handsets, and restoring from a backup based on my previous, I think the cause of the problem was definitely hardware.

By the way and since you responded to this thread, can you find out if the phone sent to me was indeed a refurb, and if it's normal to not have received a back cover?

Thanks.

• tmo_marissa

Hi hi!  So glad to hear that your replacement arrived so quickly.  We'd been working on improvements with the overall exchange experience, including decreased backorders, so I'm glad to hear that those improvements are happening!  It's easiest to think of the replacement as refurbished, simply because we don't have a way to tell if one individual device is or isn't.  That said, replacement equipment undergoes an extensive inspection process, just like certified pre-owned equipment that we sell - I think it gets a bad rap that often isn't deserved.  It is standard for a replacement to arrive without a back cover, battery, or accessories - unless you're exchanging a unibody device or you're ordering a replacement battery during the original 90 day window in which it's warrantied.  Thanks for letting me know about the master reset - I'm glad you tried it, and appreciate that step being listed here for other users to see!  I hope that your replacement phone is reliable and problem-free for as long as you need it.

- Marissa

• amstel78

Hey Marissa,

I used to have reservations about refurbs, but ditched that notion a few years back.  Every refurb I've received or gone out of my way to purchase has always worked, and always looked brand new.  So as far as I'm concerned, if the phone I receive isn't brand new in the box, but looks as good or better than the phone I'm returning, and more importantly, if it works perfectly; then I got no beef with that.