Phone Battery Usage with Digits

ghost61

I have been using digits for about 5 days now.  I have noticed that my Note 5 seems to be draining faster than usual under the same use scenario (typical workday).  Looking under settings and Battery it shows that Digits is now the #1 user of battery power.  Usually it is either Screen or Google Play Services that are my top 2 consumers of battery.  Digits is consuming 28% of my battery use.

The Beta Team probably may want to look at this.  If others are noticing this you may want to provide feedback. I am using a stock Samsung Note 5 running Android 6.0.1

All replies

• mike.j

Re: Phone Battery Usage with Digits

I'm seeing the same, it also seems to be keeping the mobile radio active constantly.  Here is what I saw over a 4 hour period:

Screenshot_20161216-144615.pngScreenshot_20161216-144605.png

• brill

Similar here, on an S7 Edge

• debjitjdv

Hi, if you are using Note 5 or Galaxy S6 onwards phone, please use Settings -> Multi-line settings option. Use your T-Mobile ID to login. Its a native dialer to Samsung and is far better optimized than the digits app. I tried to use th eDigits app it was draining my battery but then switched to Multi-line settings and then my battery came back to its normal pattern. Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tmo_lauren

Hey!

There's going to be a few things factoring into your battery drain on this one. First one has already been pointed out, you don't need to use the DIGITS app, Samsung devices are out of the box ready for DIGITS so having the app causes redundancy.

There's another factor that applies to even non Samsung devices that is impacts your situation, and non Samsung users. There's a known issue where lines that are designated as primary but still install the DIGITS app see excessive battery drain. The beta team is addressing this at the moment, but to avoid it for the time, the primary line doesn't actually need to be using the app, just secondary lines.

Hopefully that gives some insight!

-Lauren

• mike.j

When logging in for "one device, multiple lines" the app requires my T-Mobile login, then needs the device phone number to send me a confirmation text.  This number is automatically added as the device line, I don't have an option to not add the current phone number as the device line.  If I try and use a DIGITS number instead of my actual line when logging in, the operation fails.

• ghost61

Yes I am the same on my Note 5.  My Note 5 is not on t-mobile it is on Verizon, so I believe I do need the Digits app running and I have to login and give the app my Note 5 phone number (it cant auto add it since it is not on the network).

• tmo_lauren

If you are on non native, I'm not actually sure if you need the app. I'm going to get your particular situation looked into a little more. If it is something you need the app for, which I think it probably is but still want to be absolutely sure of, you will be a part of the known issue where there is a battery drain on primary devices running the app. The engineering team is looking into that pocket situation and how to resolve it.

mike.j You should just be able to put in your regular ol' mytmo info! Set up DIGITS

-Lauren

• mike.j

I was able to login without the text confirmation after I disabled Wifi.  I'm still seeing a fair bit of battery usage, but I'll keep monitoring.  Hopefully the engineering team is able to make some improvements before Beta is over.

• sskorka

@tmo_lauren ... I'm using an iPhone 6 with the DIGITS app. I don't use the app at all for calls or messaging on my primary number but I do for my virtual DIGITS. I don't see any way to turn off the primary number registered within the iPhone's DIGITS app. It seems to be fixed as on. I'm not seeing particularly significant battery drain as others are. However, I'm not sure you can delete the app from your primary device if you intend to use virtual numbers at all on that same device. Would you please clarify when you have a moment? Thank you.

• azdreamscape

Average battery usage across devices is 15-20%.

For a service you would probably want to keep on all the time, this isn't going to work.

• azdreamscape

I see two questionable details in Lauren's 'correct' answer.

1. Not all Samsung devices are multi-line capable, Only recent 'top-tier' devices have this feature. As an example, my work phone, a Samsung Galaxy Avant, does not have multi-line.

2. As I understand it, a big advantage (as promoted) for DIGITS is the ability to use a virtual ('throw away') number for certain cases when you only want someone calling you back once (and never again). Using such a 'virtual' number requires signing into the DIGITS app. Furthermore, we were given virtual numbers to test this feature!

Obviously, using the DIGITS app would be necessary in order to use a 'virtual' line.

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!