Oh, good question, cmquinn!
Do you have your location enabled? Once that's enabled, is "my place" enabled? You can also try these steps:
- First turn off Wi-Fi and enable Mobile Data (via quick access toggle on the notification bar)
- Next, Go to Settings >> General >>Location >> My Place (it will no longer be grayed out)
- Turn on “My Place” and select “Allow”
- Next, you will have to set you home location
- Go to settings >> General>> Location >> Turn on location >> Tap on “My Place”
- Note: Mobile data should be enabled for this step as well
- Now your current location will be automatically detected, and you can set it has “Home” location
Please let me know if this works for you!
Location was already set. That is how you use Smart Settings to automatically turn off and turn on your phones wifi connection to save battery when you leave home.
I believe the problem is that android 7 has a heavy battery saving function. The Ignore Optimizations under battery usage is where the answer is. I tried turning on both apps for smart things in the ignore optimizations. Must be something else that needs to be on but it is not obvious.