Gear outgoing call ID number

racecaraz

My gear is now provisioned with the new duplicate number and calls are coming into it from my main number fine.  However outgoing calls show up (on the called persons ID) as the new duplicate number not my main phone number as expected. When calling out on the gear in stand alone mode shouldn't my phone's number show up?

All replies

• boombastic

Re: Gear outgoing call ID number

Hi.

I have the same setup with a Gear S2 classic. I think that is the intended behavior for the beta. You original phone number to and from your primary device is pretty much untouched. Every device that is not your main device will have outgoing calls mapped to the digit number and incoming calls from your primary number. When the beta is over you will get the chance to make your primary number a digits number.

• azlife

I too am having the same issue, and submitted a trouble ticket with the T-Mobile Digits group this evening.   I could be wrong, but I believe that "boombastic" might be getting confused with the "Multiple Numbers on One Device" scenario as compared to the "One Number on Multiple Devices" scenario.  The entire purpose of being issued a "DUPLICATE LINE" (NOT a VIRTUAL LINE) is so that the duplicate number  "replicates" the functionality of your primary number.  That includes both incoming and outgoing features, especially the outgoing caller ID of your primary # that the receiver sees.  This is indeed the entire purpose of this DIGITS technology/product.

The Gear S3 obviously does not have a removal SIM chip so I guess they do it with this Virtual Line.  Other T-Mobile documentation reads that there would be a "duplicate" SIM chip that you would receive if you need this functionality, so I'm not sure if that is a misprint or if that would apply to other devices such as tablets, etc that do have removable sim chips.  Believe it or not, many of the T-Mobile stores I went to do not even know about DIGITS nor have been trained with it.   In fact, many of us customers have received our DIGITs even before the store personal who requested it on day 1.  I love T-Mobile and DIGITs, but really think they should have distributed and trained their employees before releasing the BETA to the public.

• racecaraz

I agree azlife, I do believe it should work the way we think. That is a core function for multiple device and one number. I'd love to know if they resolve it for you, and also how to submit a ticket for Digits trouble so I can get my mine working.

A response from T-Mobile on how to get support and to confirm it should work the way we expect would be great too.

• azlife

I'll post back when/if I hear anything.  I simply dialed 611 from my cell phone and got in touch with normal T-Mobile Customer Care, and then they directed it to the DIGITS team....They said it should be resolved by Tuesday.  We will see.  More later.

• tmo_evan

For those of you who are having issues with your Gear S2 and Gear S3, we want to better trouble shoot the issue.  There may have been a slight provisioning issue when these were setup for you and thus we want to get this solved for all of you.

Here's what the experience SHOULD be...

1. Calls to your primary DIGITS should ring your phone and your watch

2. Calls you make or text messages you send from either your phone or your watch should show up to the receiver as your primary DIGITS. 

3. At no time should the accounting number that is assigned to your watch be shown to anyone.

Given how that is supposed to work...

Can you do the following:

A. Go to https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/consumer

B. Look in the list of DIGITS I can manage for the accounting number of your Gear S2/S3

C. Check to see if it is paired to your primary DIGITS.

If this all looks right, but it's not activating as it should, can you send me a private mail and we can get the team to investigate?  [I'll need your primary DIGITS and the accounting number associated with your Gear S2/S3]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • jaimier

i just checked and my gear s3 is now sending the primary number not the duplicate one that was issued.

• lucent

Gear S3 is fully functional for me. Virtual number never shows up incoming or outgoing. Simultaneous ring. In the DIGITS setup console, main number shows the virtual number as a paired device and vice versa.

• ryanu

I am having the same issue. Texts made from GS3 shows my phone's # but calls made from the watch shows the accounting #.

• ryanu

Same here. I've called multiple numbers from my watch and it shows up as the account number.

• tmo_evan

We're working on the issue and have passed along your info to the team so they can troubleshoot this further.  Sorry about the issue, we're trying to get it solved as soon as possible.

• racecaraz

I don't mean to be inpatient but it's been 6 days and it's still not working nor have I heard any status. Are they still working on this? I realize this is a Beta program but I'd still like some sort of status.  Thanks.

• azlife

Ditto, I haven't heard anything either and mine too isn't working still.  I called T-Mobile and got transferred to the DIGITS group. They checked my open Bug Ticket that I submitted a week ago, but there were no further notes in it other than it made it to Engineering.  Can't wait to have my primary number show up when I make calls with my Gear S3!

• tmo_marissa

Hey racecaraz - I hope you saw my reply on your second thread.  I'm going to PM you in a few and see if there's any update we can get for you while the DIGITS team is working to resolve this - please check your inbox here in a bit.  Thank you!

- Marissa

• azdreamscape

Reiterating what I posted in another thread...

I just got my Gear S3 on Saturday.

Calls and texts out from the watch show up as being from the number of the phone it is paired with.

I wonder what will happen when the phone 'dies'...?

• azdreamscape

When phone is dead/off, the watch calls out using the number on the SIM...kinda what I expected

I'm thinking it might be a challenge to separate phone/watch pairing issues from phone/DIGITS issues...

• racecaraz

If I am connected via Bluetooth it will work in the manner expected.  When the watch is in standalone mode (the whole purpose of Digits, in regards to the Gear at least) it does not work. It will then display the number of the watch, or at least it would until recently, now I can't make any out going calls period. 

Just to reiterate I have just checked the pairing setting my "My TMobile" account and they do show paired in there.

• azdreamscape

Well, the watch knows nothing about DIGITS, since there is no app for/on it.

The watch can only use the number (on the SIM) of the phone it is paired with, or the number on it's internal SIM.

At least that's my understanding of how it works...

I could be wrong, it has happened before...

• racecaraz

azdreamscape, you can read post 5 in this same thread from T-Mobile to see how it should work.  So yes in standalone mode outgoing calls should show up on the called number as your main digits phone number. You are correct that your watch knows nothing about DIGITs, it is provisioned by T-Mobile and handled in their switch/programming.  There is a number assigned to your watches eSim but it is for 'accounting', as they called it, and should never show up to your callers, regardless of if you're connected to your phone or not.

• azlife

That's if/when it ever works.  I've been waiting for two weeks now and I cannot  receive calls on my Gear S3 made to my primary number, nor can I make calls from my Gear S3 with my primary cell number being visible to the receiver.  In fact, now when I make a call from my Gear S3 it shows the assigned watch phone number, not the duplicate number.  Two weeks ago it was showing the duplicate number.  I definitely have my duplicate and primary numbers paired.

• azdreamscape

Well, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the watch use a phone's number when it is in 'standalone mode'. I've dug all through the 'My T-Mobile' area, and although I can add or remove the watch's number from the DIGITS Beta, it never shows up  (not surprising) as a viable number on any other device (using the app).

I'm not really expecting to use the watch as a part of the DIGITS program, and I don't necessarily think DIGITS is interfering with the functionality of the watch. I only bring it up here because the Gear S3 forum isn't very active and I'm not getting any answers over there.

• tmo_chris

racecaraz, azlife, ryanu, azdreamscape

Hey folks, we are trying to get to the bottom of what is going on with these weird pair issues so I am going to be sending each of you a private message to gather some necessary information.

• azlife

YEAH!!!  My Gear S3 is totally working as it should in stand-alone mode. 

1. I can receive calls on the watch made to my primary cell phone number

2. I can initiate calls from the watch and the receiver sees my primary cell phone number

3. I can send text messages from the watch and the receiver of the texts sees my primary cell phone number

4. I can receive text messages on the watch sent to my primary cell phone number

Here's what I did to resolve my issues...

1. Went to t-mobile.com/digitsbeta and added an additional device for "One Number on Multiple Devices".  I provided the ICCID for the Gear S3. (even though I already did this and already had a duplicate number).

2. 4 hours later, I received text notification from T-Mobile saying that a new DIGITS Beta Duplicate Number was active.

3. I logged into my T-mobile account, and went to the "Manage multi-line settings" under the new Duplicate Number.

4. I then removed the pairing from the old Duplicate.  I believe the new Duplicate Number was already paired to my primary number.

I then removed notifications for messaging and phone in in the Samsung Gear app on my android phone along with making sure call forwarding was disabled.  I then turned off bluetooth on the Gear S3 and made sure mobile data was always on.  Then performed the above tests and all worked as it should.

Not sure why re-provisioning a new duplicate number made everything work, but I'm sure not complaining!  I'll perform more testing later and provide an update if I see anything different happen.  I'm loving what I see so far!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      • azdreamscape

All good, but I want my S3 to use the phone number of the phone it is paired with.

I'm 'on-call' this week, and I want to return 'emergency' calls using my work phone number...even when out of range of my work phone.

Next week when I'm not 'on-call' and my S3 is paired with my main phone, I want it to always use that phone's number.

Understood that we are in a beta program, and numbers not in my direct control don't work with DIGITS, but maybe someday...

• azlife

UPDATE:

My Samsung Gear S3 watch with DIGiTS is still working like a champ!  Did you other guys get yours working yet?

• azlife

As an additional test, I powered my cell phone off, and then had someone try and call my cell phone number to see if the Gear S3 would ring.  The first two attempts did not result in my S3 ringing at all.  The calling party just heard it ringing and ringing, but nothing was happening on the watch side.

I then called T-Mobile like 10 minutes later and told them what I was experiencing, and they confirmed, that by design, the DIGITS pairing would cause my Gear S3 to ring even when the phone is off.  They called my cell phone two times while my cell phone was powered down, and both times the S3 rang.  So, that is great news!  Now if my cell phone battery dies, cell phone breaks, gets lost, or god forbid stolen, I will still get my calls on my awesome Gear S3!

• racecaraz

@azlife, thanks for your suggestion on requesting a new duplicate number, I feel like you have provided more assistance than anyone regarding my issues. Unfortunately as ryanu experienced I didn't get a reply after submitting the request again. Although I have spoken, chatted, private messaged, paired and unpaired, reset, rebooted my watch still can't call out at all when in standalone mode.  While I tempted to just vent all over T-Mobile I am hoping someone w at T-Mobile will take the bull by the horns and get mine working also.

You provide hope that just maybe this can be accomplished,  thanks for providing updates.

• tmo_chris

Hey racecaraz,

I just replied to your private message.

• azlife

racecaraz, I feel your pain, believe me.  Sorry ahead of time for the length of this reply... I purchased the Samsung Gear S3 only because of the promised capabilities of DIGITS.  I for one would not have wanted yet another device that has a separate number attached to it for all the obvious reasons.  Don't give up.  I didn't, and I finally got it working.  I'm so sorry my steps are not repeatable for others out there.  But don't despair.  This is just a Beta, and we cannot expect quick turnaround with issues we are having.  I'm in IT myself, and when we do a BETA and/or POC (Proof of Concept), it's really meant for us to work out all our back-end issues, and we let our end-users understand this and that there is not a defined SLA (Service Level Agreement).  Sometimes the users want to use these "new" products or technologies bad enough that they stick with the Beta long enough for us to get our act together, sometimes they don't.  But at least know that by design, the DIGITS technology is meant to do what we are trying to do and need: be able to make and receive calls on our Samsung Gear S3 using/displaying our primary cell phone number, whether our primary cell phone is powered on/off.

Here's what I suggest, and I suggest this because it's what I have been doing.  I keep calling T-Mobile and asking to speak to the DIGITS group, and I let the person know right up front that I need to speak to somebody that KNOWS/UNDERSTANDS DIGITS.  I tell them each time to document what I am saying/asking in the ticket and on my account.  Then, this last time around, I spoke with somebody that seemed to understand and could speak DIGITS.  My situation was a bit different than yours, as I was able to call out of my S3, but it just wasn't displaying my cell phone number, but rather the Gear S3 assigned number (and not even the duplicate number they assign).  I also realized that I had to have my Gear S3 watch replaced, so the original CCID number I submitted with the DIGITS registration would be different now.  Turns out there is no way for T-Mobile to change the CCID number once it's setup without us initiating a new DIGITS registration addition for a new device.  We don't have to submit an entire re-registration to get on the Beta, as our primary number is already on it, we just have to get T-Mobile to issue us an additional "device" and an additional "duplicate number".  The Rep I spoke with made a note in my account that I would be needing a new duplicate number due to a possible new CCID that I received.  So he made sure that when the group that issues the duplicate numbers and inputs the new CCID sees my new request, they will process it even though I already had a duplicate number for a Samsung Gear S3.  I say all this to you so maybe you can do the same.  Tell them you have a new watch (even though you don't) and that you need to make sure you get a new duplicate number for it.  Maybe they are just ignoring your guys request because they see you already have one and are treating it as a duplicate request.

Feel free to respond to this if you have specific questions for me.  I don't work for T-Mobile, just a believer in their products and this DIGITS technology I have been waiting for for 4-5 years!  So it was worth it to me to be patient.  Also, remember it's just a BETA right now and they don't owe us anything as we are not even paying for it yet (fyi, they were real smart the way they presented this to everybody.  We are basically free guinea pigs for them, LOL).

Best of luck and keep in touch.  The end result is FANTASTIC!