Wow, setup is already annoying

drozd

Already kind of infuriating and I haven't even got the app set up yet.

As background In using a Nexus 6P, running Android Nougat 7.1.1...so, I already have the ability to set up multiple users and with the use of google hangouts/voice, multiple numbers, and use RCS and VoLTE natively on the phone...

I have 4 lines on my account but those are on my wife and kids phones, so I had to request a virtual line to test DIGITS...got my email to download the app and set it up...well there's no virtual number assigned to the account, can't proceed without a second number, can't use my virtual number through Google voice....and to top it off I have to turn battery optimization off or it crashes the DIGITS app...so I haven't been able to even make it through setup yet...

So far, this is a big failure trying to reinvent what I could already do

All replies

• drozd

Re: Wow, setup is already annoying

Day 2 of trying to get DIGITS setup...

Finally got a virtual number assigned..

I know I have to go to my T-Mobile and log in and then go to the virtual line and do the whole multi line setup thing so then I can go back to the app and finally add the line so that I can finish setting up the app....

Problem is when I click on manage multi line settings...it just opens to a blank page with nothing on it..not even an error message..

End of day 2, still not functioning, this is becoming ridiculous to set up a carrier specific version of something I already can do...

• tmo_evan

Sorry that you're having issues.  One of the key pieces of DIGITS is the ability to assign rights to use lines.  In the case of the new DIGITS that you requested, the first activity is determining who is going to use it.  This will be true in the future for any new line that you get, but we haven't yet rolled out everything to all the systems (hence the beta).  For the app, I think there was a page load issue happening, so if you can try that again on LTE hopefully that will work.  It could be that you might need to clear the cache on the app as well, but we really do want people to try it and help us improve the experience.

• drozd

I'm just documenting my experience and providing feedback...

To activate the virtual line and manage multi line settings and give myself permission to use it, I actually could not do that from my phone, I had to do that from my desktop PC and then finish completing setting up the app...

First impressions of the app itself are not good...Does stuff that I could already do with apps that were already on my phone....But in a much uglier way than the native Google apps so far there isn't anything about DIGITS that makes me want to use it...

On the messaging side,....Well it's just ugly...The square shaped messages don't look good, the messages have no indication of how they were sent (RCS, SMS, MMS)... Graphically, it's no where near as polished looking or attractive as Google messenger, Hangouts, Allo, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp etc..

Calling wise, again ugly and no where near as attractive or inspiring to use as the stock Google dialer..

If this weren't a beta, this wouldn't be an app I would use, much less pay for...

So far the only thing I've seen that is useful is the ability to duplicate sim to use on wearables, so that they don't need to be tethered to a phone

• tmo_amanda

Hi drozd!

We appreciate you sharing your raw feedback of your DIGITS Beta experience. Feel free to continue providing feedback on this thread or if you have an issue that needs to be addressed you can create a new thread.

• drozd

I opted out...DIGITS as it is just isn't something I would use willingly, much less pay for at all...actually I would class it as bloatware...and couldn't tolerate it any longer...that and there was no battery optimization for it so it just killed my battery faster.

Coming into it using an unlocked Nexus 6, and a Nexus 6P ...everything about DIGITS (except for the cloned sim for wearables) can already be done by stock Android...

And honestly, DIGITS was really unactractive and clunky to use...hell Hangouts is clunky and unactractive and still way more tolerable than DIGITS.. there is absolutely zero chance that I would choose to use digits for messaging when I have Android Messages or third party messaging apps like Allo etc.. the dialer is absolutely ugly compared to Google's stock dialer

It's fairly obvious that it's design cues are reminiscent of Samsung which is a shame because the design of Samsung's contacts app, dialer app, and messaging app were previously the most unactractive, ugliest abortion of design on Android...And DIGITS managed to make it even worse on all fronts

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!