cccmikelee

I'm an S5 owner.  I loved it when it first came out with KitKat4.4 then it went 5.0 Lollipop and became so buggy and slow.  6.0 Marshmallow is an improvement but there are still times where it takes 10-20 seconds to respond.  I was going to get the Note 7 but since that is an impossibility I'm wondering how the Note 5 is a year plus since it's release.  Is the Marshmallow update been a good one and I'm concerned that the Nougat update will just bog it down.  What do you like or dislike about the Note 5 as of Dec 2016? Thanks for your feedback about this device.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: what do you think about the Note 5?

Hey cccmikelee!  I know you're still waiting for input here - I don't use a Note 5 myself or I'd be happy to supply you with some feedback.  I did at least want to make sure you'd had a chance to take a look at the entire Discussion space for this device - with the caveat that of course these are reported concerns, not typically equipment raves.  The Note 5 isn't currently available on our site, but you can also check out user reviews for any phone listed by clicking on the star rating - that will redirect you to a reviews page.  Hope that helps you gather some user experiences!

- Marissa

• cccmikelee

No I understand that forums are typically a place to gripe.  I love T-Mobile and have been a happy customer for almost 10 years.  With that said, my S5 experiece has been off and on.  When I first got it it was awesome then Lolliipop upgrade was a disaster.  The marshmallow upgrade has been better.  I have a demo S7 from our Enterprise sales rep and it's a great phone but I had my heart set on the Note 7.  My company pays the equivalent of $70 a month so I can use part of that for a phone payment but I really want a Note phone so my only options are get a Note phone that is older to tide me over or get a S8 in a few months.  Because I want the functionality of the Note, I'm willing to get a 5 but only if the it's reasonably fast.  My S5 will go through spells where it takes 30 seconds for an app to open or 10 seconds for a the camera to open and that is not acceptable.  I'm not sure what the Note 5 shipped with but with Nougat out, I'm concerned once it gets nougat that it will be slow as molasses.  Hence why I would love to know what people's real world experience is with the phone.  thanks.

• tmo_marissa

Got it - thank you for being with us for over a decade!  I don't think you're the only person who's found themselves in this predicament since the untimely demise of the newest Note device.  I definitely understand your ask - no one wants to set themselves up to be unhappy with a sluggish phone, even if it's for just a little while.  I'm sorry to here that your S5 has been less than stellar - and I get that there is a big difference between the S7 and a Note. 

Are you dead set on Samsung, or would you be willing to consider another manufacturer's Android device that might give you a similar large-screen experience (albeit without a stylus)?  LG has a pretty nice line-up of high end, large screen equipment right now.   Otherwise, I haven't heard any reports of the Note 5 going tortoise-slow after an update, but maybe some users will chime in here with their experience!

- Marissa

• slamscaper

As a Note 5 owner I can tell you that there is no way it's going to lag with Nougat. The Note 5 is considerably more powerful than the S5 and has 4GB of RAM, along with the Exynos 7420 octo-core SoC powering it. I can load it down with apps running and NEVER get any lagging at all on Marshmallow. It was definitely designed to run later OS'es with the extended amount of RAM and ample processing power. The ARM Mali T760 graphics chip supports ALL the latest technologies and can handle 4K video easily, along with the beautiful QHD AMOLED screen.

The Note 7 was very nice, but other than the curved glass and slight processing power bump, it doesn't really offer much of an upgrade over the Note 5. I think you'd be more than happy with it til the Note 8 launches. Just be sure to get the 64GB Note 5, as it does not support microSD cards and you'll want that extra storage. Internal storage is MUCH faster than any SD card so you always want as much internal storage as possible anyway. Hope this helps