Iphone 7with Tmobile sim card/ keeping my same #

mws_1984

I am looking to get a new phone. T mobile is not giving me a good offer on my iphone 6 so looking to probably just go to apple and get a iphone 7 with a t mobile sim card in it. MY question is will I have any trouble transferring my current # on the i phone 6 to the iphone 7 if I buy it? I had no trouble moving my number from Verizon to my t mobile iphone 6 I purchased thru them. Just don't want to buy the iphone 7 then have issues to deal with. Hopefully that all made sense.

Just basically want to get an iphone 7 and have no trouble putting my current number over to

All replies

• theartiszan

No. Just make sure you are buying it from a trustworthy seller to help make sure it don't get blocked.

Just need to move your sim card and your number will follow.

• mws_1984

Well I plan to just buy a new iphone 7 from apple. They offer them with t mobile sim cards already installed. So they are trusted. I'll just have to figure how to transfer the # over from my iphone 6 which is also on t mobile. Thats where I'm confused somewhat. Is it possible for me to have a phone without a # on it if I go ahead and sell the iphone 6 privately?

• tmo_marissa

Hey mws_1984 - congrats on the decision to get a new phone!  theartiszan is correct - the phone number is tied to your SIM, not your equipment, so it should be as easy as moving your current SIM over to the new phone.  Alternatively, you can ask the Apple rep to show you the number for the SIM that's pre-installed in your new phone (make sure this isn't activated already) and then Contact Us to activate it on your account.  Your old SIM will be retired.

Also, just as an aside and apologies if you were already onto this, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at Apple's awesome support page What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch so that you can be sure you're set. 

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • mws_1984

I'm not exactly sure how SIM cards work. So upon buying a new phone do I need them to change it out of my current phone over to the new phone? Cause I know iphones come with them already installed as it isn't accessible to just anyone. Or is my old # transferred over from my old phone to the new phone? And the old phone just would need a sim card to be activated again upon me selling it.

• tmo_marissa

Great question.  So generally speaking, the SIM card is what lets a phone communicate with the network as your phone number.  Regarding set-up - to be honest, it depends on how you purchase your new iPhone.  If you purchase it from us, we'll switch your SIM in store or ship you a phone with a new, inactive SIM inside and you'd call to provide us the number (listed on the sticker as the ICCID) to activate.  Some Apple stores are also able to look up your account information and can activate a new SIM on your line - I'm not sure if they're able to remove/replace your current SIM for you, but of course you're welcome to ask them.  If you feel confident doing so, you can take your existing, active SIM out of your current phone and put it in your new phone yourself.  Some folks would prefer not to handle an iPhone's SIM tray, so that's 100% your call.

Before you sell your old phone, you'll want to take your existing SIM out of it, though, even though it's inactive.  There are some other precautions to take, as well - I linked to a great resource above - like removing your AppleID and Activation Lock/Find My iPhone features.

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful