Issues receiving verification texts

querobison

Does anyone have issues receiving verification texts? For example, I need to receive a verification text to apply for a job but my phone will not receive them. Is there a way to fix this? Or does it seem like an account issue?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Issues receiving verification texts

Hey querobison!  We definitely don't want to be the hold-up that stands between you and a new gig.  Verification texts usually come from numbers called short codes - we have some Short Code Troubleshooting steps available.  On postpaid accounts sometimes they're blocked or blacklisted to prevent charges that might be associated with them, but on other account types they simply may not work.  Do you recall ever blocking premium services with us?  If so, you can undo a Content Block through MyT-Mobile using the steps here!  Let me know if that helps get those messages rolling in!

- Marissa

• I have this issue everytime I switch my SIM to another phone or factory reset it seems.  Sometimes it's just an every-other-week issue. 

I contacted Tmo Support and the issue has been stuck in a trouble ticket limbo for a while now.  I was told by the same folks that it "might" be a tower-side server issue, blocking what it thinks are premium texts.  Somehow, the tower I connect to near home sets an account-level block on shortcodes. 

I only know the block is back on when I make a purchase and get an email only, instead of a email and text.  Then, I have to call in again and have the block removed.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'll update if the issue is every permanently resolved.

• tmo_marissa

Hi querobison - I just wanted to see if you'd had a chance to reach out yet or if this issue had resolved itself.  Fingers crossed that you were able to get that new job!  snn_555, I know Lauren's on top of this but given the holiday break I also just wanted to ask if there are any updates on your front.  Thanks for bearing with us!

- Marissa

• natimus_77

Hello,

I'm new to TMobile, just switched a couple weeks ago and ported our numbers.  I cannot receive verification code texts from the State to log in to pay my taxes.  As you can imagine this is not good!  Called TMobile, lady told me to restart my phone - but that did nothing.

I am receiving texts from my friends family and other contacts, just not from the State.  I know my number is correct with them as last month (with ATT it worked fine)  I file and pay my sales tax every month.

any ideas?

• magenta2853974

I also had to call into to have the "premium message block" removed from my line. Only was on mine on the account. Did not see the block online, had to call in to support.

• kyle_1988

Same problem here. I can't get verification texts from  multiple sources, e.g. Vangaurd. I checked and I'm not using the content block service.

• mneder

I just want to give some advice to anyone here looking to troubleshoot this.  I too had an issue receiving verification messages from the IRS.  I spoke to someone at tmobile overseas who said that I had a block put on my account on February 8th (ten months ago).  She claimed that I would have had to authorize it in order for it to be there.  I was kind of pissed so I asked to speak to someone in the US that pays taxes to the IRS so that they can understand my frustration.

So I ended up speaking to someone in Oklahoma in the solutions center and I was on the phone with this person for over 45 minutes and this person claimed that she could not find the block that the first person was talking about.  I would not let it go, and demanded that she resolve the issue.  After some time, she spoke to tech support and said they found it for her, and it was indeed called a "third party premium message block."  She said it was removed and would take 2 hours to take effect.

Don't give in with these people.  If they tell you they can't find the block, ask them to speak with tech support.  It is called a "third party premium message block" and they will tell you that it is not directly associated with your line as a feature, and they need to find it in a "separate tool" on their end.

I must say, it is insane that they would add such a block without customer authorization, and then have the audacity to say it could only be added if I authorized it. I have wasted a tremendous amount of time trying to troubleshoot this with the IRS.  

• tmo_marissa

It's a bummer to read that you had that experience with our Care team, mneder - but we appreciate you letting us know how it went *and* not giving up! I haven't seen any known issues where this was getting turned on without notice to our customers, but we should never make you feel accused of doing something even if we don't have a system issue noted -- that's not the way we want our folks treated! I'm glad that our Tech team was able to get the setting corrected for you, thanks for posting here to confirm that it's possible and to share your experience.

Just want to add a note to any users who may be bumping into this -- this is a setting that a team with internal access can resolve for you with the exception of DIGITS users. Right now there is a known limitation with DIGITS where short codes (messages from shorter than usual numbers that will include verification texts) will only be delivered to the line with the primary SIM installed; so you'll need to refer back to that device for these message types.

- Marissa