Can I request a different area code for DIGITS virtual number?

mcmphd

Is it possible to request an area code for the DIGITS virtual number that matches my current address?  DIGITS appears to assign a number based on where I lived when I first joined T-mobile, but I live in a different part of the country now.  I was hoping that DIGITS might be a way to get a local number while still holding onto my original cell number.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey mcmphd - great ask - that honestly seems like a perfect reason to *use* DIGITS.  If I'm reading this right, you were assigned a virtual number automatically by the system, correct?

- Marissa

• mcmphd

Yes, that's correct: I was assigned a DIGITS number with the same area code as my primary cell phone number. My billing, contact, and e911 addresses are all in a different area code now. The useful feature as I see it would be to allow me to select either an area code matching my primary cell phone number, or an area code that matched my current address on the account.

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha, mcmphd!  I did a little digging and it looks like our internal representatives who are being trained to support the Beta program will actually have the option to manually select a number group based on the billing address when creating a virtual number - from what you're describing, it sounds like that manual number selection functionality isn't available when adding a virtual number online.  That's valuable feedback regarding additional options that would be helpful, thank you for calling that out!  I wish I could let you know whether or not that's in the works, but I can definitely tell you that this is the right place for that feedback, and a representative will be able to do this once they're creating additional DIGITS for the "multiple DIGITS one device" portion of the program. 

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tmo_evan

Once you have your new set of DIGITS Talk & Text only you can call back to the Special Care queue for the DIGITS beta and they'll be able to help you with getting a different number.  Please make sure you talk to that queue as there are some special items that they'll need to do in order to take care of you properly.

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!