Feedback/Request: Apple CallKit Support

masterarmory

Are there any plans to add Apple CallKit into the Digits application?

Would greatly reduce the chances of missing an important call due to not noticing a normal application notification or alert.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Apple CallKit Support

Hey masterarmory - thanks for joining!  Great point - right now we're in the process of working with multiple OEMs to bring DIGITS to the native dialer, although the particulars of when/how that will happen aren't ironed out to this level of specificity.  We definitely have a massive number of Apple users who would love to get this functionality added so I'm hopeful that some iteration of this is in the works. 

- Marissa

• masterarmory

Marisa, thanks for the response. Now that my  virtual line is set up inhave learbed a few things i though worth sharing.

1. Calls coming in on the virtral line come in like a normal native call on iOS. If the caller to that virtual line is not in your contact list it will be anounced that the call is coming in from another line while showing the callers number. If the caller is in your contact list there is now way to distinguish what line they are contacting you from. However, both lines VM's are independent of each other so it doesn't quite work like call forwarding, which is a good thing. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Tech support to figur out how it was working.
            2. if you are signed into multiple devices another device might actually send the call to VM before you canpick up on the original phone. Or in my case my iPad was sending my phones original number right to VM and I was actually missing calls.

THis might. It help T-Mobile out by posting this but it might help with user frustration knowing how it works... let my strugle be your lesson. Now that I have it working smoothly I'm actually pretty happy with how Digits performs... so far.

• tmo_marissa

Hmm, that definitely is helpful feedback - for users and for TMO.  It's especially this last bit that sounds irksome: "if you are signed into multiple devices another device might actually send the call to VM before you can pick up on the original phone.  Or in my case my iPad was sending my phones original number right to VM and I was actually missing calls."  Were you near your iPad at the time to see if there were any "rings" or was it sending them straight to VM?  Am I reading this correctly that your phone wasn't registering incoming calls at all?

I'm thrilled to hear that overall you're happy with it - and thank you for putting in the effort working with Tech to troubleshoot the performance.  You're using this Support space exactly as intended - we want to gather feedback and logging your experience for other users is so helpful!  Please don't worry that we're anything less than stoked and grateful for your participation!

- Marissa

• masterarmory

When I was around my iPad I would see a call come in but I would not be able to respond in time to answer. When I disabled the line on the iPad then I would start to get calls like normal on my iPhone. Otherwise my phone wouldn't even ring. At times it seemed like the iPad would actually get the call earlier than the iPhone, sending it to VM normally despite the iphones delay in getting the connection.

• tmo_marissa

Yikes - thanks for that clarification.  By any chance did you mention this when you were working with Tech, or did it happen afterwards?  I double checked and it does look like this is the type of issue we'd want to file a bug report for - we'd want to gather the other number and a timestamp of when the issue(s) occurred and file that information so that it can be reviewed.  Thanks again for returning here - we appreciate the input!

- Marissa

• masterarmory

I discovered it after getting off of the phone with tech support. The moment I disabled the line on the iPad calls starting comping in as normal.

• tmo_marissa

Got it!  To be honest, every wonky phone experience I've ever had has come with some kind of realization after I get off the phone with our Tech team!  I don't know why life seems to work that way.

We have folks from the project popping in and out and reviewing the Support space to gather feedback regarding the Beta, but if you have a little bit of time over the next few days to reach back out so that we can file a bug report with those time stamps and numbers, that would be excellent and so appreciated - but it's entirely up to you.  I know this isn't exactly the lightest "to-do list" season of the year for many people!

- Marissa

• kberg31974

Re: Feedback/Request: Apple CallKit Support

Iwant to second the vote for CallKit integration because, unless I'm doing something wrong, I just get a small banner and ringing on my iPad when a call comes in. It would be great to get the full-screen notification that CallKit gives. Bria for iPad implemented this a couple months ago and it was really nice.

• sskorka

The idea of integrating CallKit functionality is a great one. I'm not 100% positive that it would work in the case of DIGITS, though, because from what I understand, the CallKit framework provides API access to VoIP functionality. I don't think calls via DIGITS are VoIP calls but are actually carried over the voice network. Of course, T-Mobile's engineers would be able to answer this better than I can.

On your primary device, though, phone calls from all DIGITS numbers are supposed to ring through the native dialer (iOS and Android) so CallKit wouldn't necessarily help in this case. Other devices (e.g. iPads, browsers, etc.) would still require notifications from the DIGITS app. I'm not an expert in telecom so if any T-Mobile support team members wants to correct me, that would help!

• kberg31974

Yeah, I'm not going to claim that I understand how DIGITS works 100% (probably not even 25%) on T-Mobile's infrastructure. It would seem to me, though, that on devices like the iPad, other tablets, most computers, etc., DIGITS has to work as a VOIP app from the device's perspective since they really have no native dialer or even native calling ability. Even iPads with LTE can only use the data portion of LTE, so the only way for phone apps to work on iPads (and I suppose iPod Touch devices if someone wanted to try) is to initially use VOIP. How they handle calls off the device is totally up to them.

Anyhow, the bottom line from my deductions (which could be wrong, I'll admit) is that implementing CallKit into the iOS app (even if only on iPads) would be the best, and officially supported, way to get a nearly native calling experience on iPads. Other apps (Bria and Skype to name a couple) have done this and it really helps the overall user experience. They even integrate directly into the Contacts app so you can use it to call contacts using the app of your choice.

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!