SMS Replies go to Phone

I'm testing digits where I can use my number on multiple devices.  I noticed if I send an SMS from the website (https://wrc.t-mobile.com/wrcpro/app), replies go to my phone.  Are they supposed to go to both my phone and site?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: SMS Replies go to Phone

You should definitely be receiving replies through the web client as well as the phone. What browser are you using and do you have a valid e911 address entered for your line?

I am using the latest version of Chrome and I have a valid e911 address configured.

• tmo_marissa

Hey Colin - thanks for letting us know about this.  I know this is going to sound pretty elementary, so forgive me, but have you tried logging out/logging back in, clearing the cache/cookies/history, etc.?  Is there any chance you have the option to also test this out in Firefox and see if you can duplicate the problem?

- Marissa

• deriktran

I'm only getting replies on the website and not on my primary phone.  I see the original send to on my phone that was initiated on my Chrome Browser ( 55.0.2883.75 m (64-bit)) but not the response.

So here is the workflow:

1) Went on the web

2) Texted my work phone (iPhone 6, iOS v10.1.1) - "Testing"

3) Checked my t-mobile prime phone (Android Nexus 6p, v7.1.1) - Using standard Google Messenger app.

4) I see the original text on my Android ("Testing")

5) Went on my iPhone and replied to that text.  "Works from iPhone"

6) On the WEB, I see the reply but NOT on my Android Phone. 

Hope that helps.

• breakerfall

My phone SMS works only if I turn off VoLTE in my phone settings. Can you try the same?

• spiru

I'm having this issue as well on my iPhone 7+, bought directly from tmo. Turning off LTE is less then ideal, so is there a way to completely disable digits all together?

• tmo_chris

spiru,

You should not have to turn off LTE or VoLTE on your T-Mobile branded iPhone 7 in order to receive SMS. We do have a known issue where unlocked non T-Mobile phones that support VoLTE have to disable VoLTE in order to receive SMS but that should not be the case with your phone. 

If you are using the web client or the digits app on a device other than your main device, you should be able to see all incoming SMS across all devices. If you send messages from the digits app or the web client, those outbound messages will not sync to the native messaging client of your iPhone. For now this is a limitation during the beta but we are working with device OEMs to support that functionality.

• spiru

OK seems to be working a little better today, but I still can't receive text from tmo numbers (could before just fine), at&t and voip app texts are coming through tho.

• tmo_chris

Hey spiru,

Sorry for the delay! I wanted to check in with you to see if you were still having issues received text messages from T-Mobile numbers? If so, are the people sending you text messages from other iPhones? As of now, DIGITS will not work when iMessage is turned on so if you have yours turned off and they have theirs turned on, their phones may still be trying to send you iMessages as part of a pre-existing text thread you all had going on before you enrolled into the beta. This actually happened to me personally and I had the sender delete our old iMessage thread and had them send me a new message which then came through as a regular text instead of an iMessage.

• ericksonline

"We do have a known issue where unlocked non T-Mobile phones that support VoLTE have to disable VoLTE in order to receive SMS but that should not be the case with your phone."

Hello Chrisl, So.... I am experiencing the problem that you quoted above, but it doesn't seem to be very well known. I've talked to many people at T-Mobile and no one seemed to be aware of this as an issue at all. I have a new Moto G4 that can do everything on VoLTE except receive SMS texts. Can you elaborate on this problem a little more? Are there any solutions?

Thank you!

Ron

• themagentapanther

Hi, is your phone an iPhone by any chance?

• giyad

I'm having the same issue (I think).  But I think this is a feature that is not yet implemented.  With SMS, you can't pick up where you left off on your device with the original SIM card.

My setup:

• Android Phone with original SIM
                              • iPad with DIGITS installed

Steps to recreate issue:

1. Send a message to someone via Android messenger app on Android phone.
                              2. Look at DIGITS on iPAD, message will be logged there and everything is fine.
                              3. Person responds, I receive message on Android and iPad.
                              4. If I respond via SMS, it will be logged correctly on all devices.  However, if I respond via DIGITS, I will not have the SMS logged on my phone.  In other words, I can't pick up where I left off on my Android phone.
                                • mrbristow

I experience the same issue. The entire SMS thread is available via the Digits app, but not in the SMS app on my main phone. This makes it difficult to bounce between devices since the full conversation is not available on the primary phone.

• yano

Yea, replies to my outgoing messages are showing up on both my phone and computer.

BUT, my outgoing messages on DIGITS (on the computer) are not showing up on my primary Android phone in the default SMS app.

• tmo_chris

yano

So at this time, outgoing messages from the web portal or other devices will not sync to your main devices native messaging app. However, the messages will be available in the DIGITS application on other devices.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            • giyad

Thanks for letting us know, but this is an important feature... if we are to pick up where we left off on all devices the original SIM device has to sync as well (without the DIGITS app).

• yano

I get that, but as glyad has pointed out. This seems like a major lapse in features to even make DIGITS useful for people who want to use one number on multiple devices.

• yano

Has there been any update on this?

I recently tested sending messages outbound on the web version of Digits and they don't sync with Android Messages on my Nexus 6P (N4F26T). I also have Digits installed on the same phone, version: 1.0.184.

I currently have

* Android Messages (by Google Inc.) version: 2.1.163 (3777671-40.phone)

* Carrier Services (by Google Inc.) version: 2.1.166 (3808388-00.phone).cs

I've also change Android Messages to no longer be "battery optimized" to allow for T-Mobile's eventual integration of Rich Communication Services.

• tmo_evan

yano

When you send a message from a device that is not the native SIM device, those messages are not replicated back to your main device unless the device is a newer device that has integrated the DIGITS functionality (like the Samsung GS 6 & 7s) or you need to have the DIGITS app running on the device in order to then be able to see the complete history of calls and messages in the app.

At this time there is no integration with Android Messages (and I wouldn't necessarily hold your breathe for it to be integrated with T-Mobile's RCS protocols any time soon) .

Hope that helps

• virus86

I too would like some sort of Sync feature for the main device. Its a real deal breaker if I cant continue a text conversation on my main device. The Digits app does error out on my main device since the sim card is associated with my number. Maybe the Digits app can only be used to sync if it does detect it?

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!