Do I need another Sim to use Digits?

potatoes

Question. So I have two phones. Will I need a second SIM to use Digits on the non primary phone? iPhone-Primary, S 7 Edge-Secondary.

Thanks

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Do I need another Sim to use Digits?

Hey potatoes!

Rockin' two different OS', eh? You get a gold star for that because I can't easily switch between Android and iOS. You're going to love DIGITS because you won't have to carry around both phones if you don't want to. You'll need a second SIM which can be referred to as a duplicate SIM.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• mharris7000

Where do we get our duplicate SIM cards? I have an iPhone and two android phones, meaning I'll need a total of 2 duplicated sims.  Also, I though we could just use the app instead of having to obtain duplicate sims.  Can you explain?

Thanks!

Matt

• tmo_amanda

Hey Matt!

Great question. With DIGITS, you don't have to carry more than one device if you don't want to. Since you have three phones, you just need to set-up DIGITS with all three numbers to work on one device. The OP mentioned that he still wanted to carry around two devices but use DIGITS on both of them. If that's the case, you'll need a duplicate SIM. You won't need a duplicate SIM if you choose to carry around one device for all three phone numbers registered for DIGITS.

Does that clear up the confusion?

• mharris7000

Actually it's the opposite for me.  I want the same phone number for all three phones.  I only carry one phone at a time but some days I'll take my iphone and others my s7 edge, and others my pixel xl.  With Google Voice I've been doing this successfully for years using only the app on each device.  But with Google Voice I can only use hangouts for messaging not my native messaging app.  Also,  the calls are not HD calling.  For these reasons I'm very excited to switch from Google Voice to Tmobile Digits.  But will I need three new SIM cards to do this? Or can I use the app like I do with GV?  Thanks! Matt

• tmo_amanda

Great question, Matt!

When/if you're accepted into the beta, you'll want to select the option "One Set of DIGITS on Multiple Devices" which will provide you one duplicate SIM at no cost. Since you have three devices and only two SIMs with DIGITS, you may need to swap one of the SIMs out from time to time. Once the beta phase is completed and the details are ironed out, you'll have the option to get additional duplicate SIMs which would allow you to have the same phone number on up to 5 devices.

• ampersandru

How do I request a duplicate sim? My only options for beta signup were:

• Non-T-Mobile phone
                    • iPad
                    • Android tablet
                    • Computer (with Chrome or Firefox)

When I select non-tmobile-phone, it tells me I have to use an app. The phones I have ARE tmobile phones. Where is the option for that?

• tmo_amanda

Hi ampersandru!

Hmm. I need a little more info to answer your question. When you registered did you select "One Number on Multiple Devices" or "Multiple Numbers on One Device"? If you're wanting a duplicate SIM it comes with the "One Number on Multiple Devices" option which will be mailed after everything is configured.

mharris7000, a duplicate SIM will be shipped after DIGITS is fully configured if you chose "One Number on Multiple Devices" option during sign-up. As far as the comparison to GV and duplicate SIMs, with DIGITS if you want to have the same number on multiple devices a duplicate physical SIM is needed. The DIGITS app will allow multiple virtual numbers on one device but that is only if you chose the option of "Multiple Numbers on One Device".

• ampersandru

Yep, I chose "One Number on Multiple Devices" and other people have said that "Tmobile compatible phone" was one of their options but it was not for me.

• tmo_chris

ampersandru - Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure if you already completed the registration or not but the option to select T-Mobile compatible phone or non-T-Mobile phone is just so that we can send you helpful information on how to set up the device. EX: Newer Samsung devices will use the built in multi-line functionality while other devices will use the DIGITS app.

mharris7000 - The process to set your watch as the duplicate line is something that you will do from the DIGITS app within the Gear manager on your Samsung phone. Once you have been accepted to the beta you will want to choose the "One set of DIGITS, multiple devices" program to test so that a duplicate line can be added to the account.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • mharris7000

Amanda, the video shows one number for two phones,  a tablet, and a watch.  It doesn't make sense that you need a new sim card for each of those devices, especially the s3 watch which doesn't have a sim card, it uses an e sim.

• tmo_amanda

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!