caleblinden

I got the notification to update my T-mobile LG G5 and it went through the process of updating. Then at the end of it it said error and now my phone says I am up-to-date even though it is still running android 6.0. Anyone know what might have happened?

All replies

• artemis_huntress

Re: Android 7.0 not working

Hi. I just had issues with my G5 update to 7 from 6 as well. I backed up my all of my data including pictures and apps. Once I did that I did a factory reset from settings. The other thing you can try is restarting your phone. Those are two basic steps that anyone in tech support or the store will have you try first. Have you tried those steps yet? These steps did not resolve my issue, but I got my G5 when it first came out and it has a software glitch that I am told is not common, but these are steps tech support had me take before they determined there is a deeper issue with my phone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • caleblinden

I restarted my phone but did not do a factory reset. I also got my g5 when

it first came out, but I had to replace it a couple months later when the

power button/fingerprint scanner just randomly stopped working. In your

situation, you were not able to update your phone? That sucks. I'm sorry to

hear that.

• artemis_huntress

Thank you for the empathy. I didn't want to provide those steps and not let you know they are so tech support can actually say the phone or software has a malfunction. Try the factory reset after you back up all data on your phone if you don't have an up to date back up already. It is okay. They are actually providing a new replacement G5 for me. I used to do tech mobile device support for a different company so I know there is a 50/50 chance this step will work. I actually think they are going to find it is going to be a much larger issue than they realized. If the factory reset doesn't correct your failed update than there is a glitch in your software. If you call tech support they can set you up with a replacement phone under warranty for $20. It is the fee they pay to their insurance copmpany for doing the exchange and they pass it along to us customers.

• caleblinden

Thanks for the advice. That's great to know. I'll try the factory reset and

see what goes from there.

• artemis_huntress

You are very welcome. They have the replacements sent to your local store and the wait time depends on availability in your area. It was explained that the device may be new or it can be one that was returned within 14 days of purchase so it can't be sold as new.

• caleblinden

Oh Okay. I just factory reset the phone. It says 7.0 will update between

11PM and 4AM. So... Fingers crossed it works!

• artemis_huntress

The software will download automatically between 11pm and 4am and then you

still have to go into settings like before. Things were done much

differently for this update than they normally are done for updates.

• artemis_huntress

I apologize for the incomplete instructions. Once you see the icon at the

top of your screen that looks like a phone with an download arrow in it

make sure your phone has a good charge and than click on the message

showing that your update has downloaded from the pull down menu. Once you

do that it should take you to the system update screen and give you the

chance to install and restart. It took mine about 45mins to finish. My

update was successful. So I will pass up the replacement phone. I hope they

never send out another update using this method again. During my last call

to tech support I was told several G5 users have called in confused about

the update and I had first hand experience that the techs are not all

educated in the way this software update is being handled so they are

taking steps that aren't needed.

• tmo_marissa

Hey caleblinden!  Did artemis_huntress's awesomely detailed assistance get you to Nougat?  Just wanted to see if you were successfully able to download and complete the update!  Fingers crossed...

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Sweeeeet!  Love to see our community working the way it ought to!  Thanks for letting us know so that we can give the fancy correct check mark points where they're due!    Also, stoked for you - how is the new software?!

- Marissa